aluminum finish

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

aluminum finish

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

I have gone waaayyyyy :oops: over budget on my 66 but I want to do it right. I went with Edelbrock alum heads, intake, and water pump. They are not polished and I do not want the shiny finish but I do want the cast to look good. Should I clear coat them or just put them on bare. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Mark
Mark

65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

I think they will dull if you dont protect them with some sort of clearcoat, finding one that will put up with engine temps may be difficult.
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

I would check Eastwood to see what they have, then I would check your local parts house to see if they carry anything simmaler

www.eastwood.com

Normal clear coat would probly be ok for the pump, but it will not do on the heads neer the exhaust.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

I have used VHT clear on a glassbeaded intake and it worked great . After several years it did yellow where gas had gotten on it regularly. Just make sure it is clean, wiping with lacquer thinner , etc
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Comet

Post by Comet »

If it's not polished, I would leave it bare. Over time it will get dirty, but use some carb cleaner on a rag and it will clean right up.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Do NOT clear coat the manifold not even with high temp, it will yellow.