3 speed to aod

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

realisticretiredone

3 speed to aod

Post by realisticretiredone »

Has any one changed out there 3 speed for an aod. My truck has the three on the tree and a 302 engine I like to know if the floorboard has to be modified to install an aod and if the mid cross member has to be taken out to install. thanks james
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James. I am not the best one to be giving you this advice, I believe the Truckfarmer would be the best one to ask, but I don't want to see your post buried here so I'll take a crack at it.

Obviously, someone has already swapped a 302 into your truck. The Aod will bolt up to the 302, bolt pattern wise, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

Is yours a twin I truck? Yes the cross-member that holds the back of the transmission will have to be moved toward the back of the truck to accomodate the longer AOD transmission. Do you have 2 driveshafts or one currently? Because either way the driveshaft will have to be shorter, so you migh's well just go to one.

Because your truck already has had an engine swap, and who knows how it was done, no one can answer whether or not the engiine is sitting high or back in the engine bay. So I can't really tell you if your AOD bell housing is going to hit the floor tunnel or not. I can tell you that usually you don't need to alter the floor in a 3spd truck to get an AOD in, but they are tight. Just don't know the specifics of your situation, you might have to do some measuring and model making to find out for sure. There is always the option of obtaining the bolt-in piece for a higher tranny tunnel from a big truck or 4WD and cutting your floor to use that, gaining you a few inches clearance

As far as location of the gear shift for the AOD, if you put it on the floor, yes, there would be some alteration to the floor there. It can also be done fairly easily in a twin I truck that you have the gearshift on the column, by swapping out a newer year automatic column or using a rare one for your year truck. I would think you would need one that had an OD setting on it... dunno for sure

Dont forget the critical connection and adjustment of the TV cable
http://www.tciauto.com/instructions/431000_inst.htm
required to not burn your trannny out in the first few hundred miles you use it.

Good luck with your install, and I hope others with more knowledge on this subject will pop in and help

JC 8)
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
realisticretiredone

3 speed to aod

Post by realisticretiredone »

JC, thanks for your comments and my truck is a 65 with the twin i-beams. The motor was installed with engine towers from a 70's truck. I am planning to use the nostalgia shifter from Lokar if the ac dosen't get in the way. I also have a parts truck that is a 4 speed with the removeable floor pan. Will probably go with a one piece drive shaft. thanks james