looking for one thing......found a slick.....now what?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

a2z64

looking for one thing......found a slick.....now what?

Post by a2z64 »

I drove out to South Dakota to go to a Studebaker auction. Looking for parts for my 51 champ. While winding down the backroads to the auction what do I see sitting in someone's front yard? A 64 F100 shortbox, looks like it's for sale but there's no sign on it. I go to the auciton, they didn't have anything I needed, time to head back home. There's that slick sitting there and a guy working out in the yard. Hit the brakes and pull in. Yes it's for sale. He doesn't know much of the history of the truck, long story short he got it in trade for something else and wants to get rid of it, he's a chevy guy. It's got a 6 cylinder, 4speed tranny. No rust on the body, the box floor is solid, cab floor is solid, little rust starting on the front cab mounts, cab corners good. It's been repainted sometime in the last several years. Runs good and he wants to get $5,000 for it. I wasn't really looking for another truck but this thing looks pretty nice. It's been almost 20 years since I bought my last slick. Does this sound like a decent deal? No, I didn't get any pictures.
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Alan. take a look at some of the other ebay posts in here. even at Pete's trucks for sale.

$5000 can get you a pretty darn nice slick..
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Comet

Post by Comet »

Yeah, it better be very nice for that kinda cash.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

It sounds like an incredible deal that is beyond belief. . . . . . . . . . . for the seller !. :shock:

Also it is the older style (1957 - 1964) chassis. Most safety/performance upgrades, altho' they can be done are much more expensive & protracted to accomplish. Where as 65 or 66 is a virtual "bolt up" modification from any 73-79 & sometimes later year, FoMoCo F series. :wink:

But at anyrate IMHO $5K is $3500 - $4250 more than a 64 is worth for a truck that is other than Pristine. . . . . :roll:

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
William-in-St. George

Slick on the side of the road!

Post by William-in-St. George »

I think the key here is "Rust free"! Yah its a six and yah it has the old frame and steering box, But! rust free and a "turn key driver". The guy is a cheevee guy so he will be high, but "rust free". Offer him 3500.00 be prepared to go to 4000.00.
When you have 90% of what you want, think twice about insisting on the other 10%! Thomas Sowell
a2z64

Post by a2z64 »

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said I'm not really looking to buy another truck but I just happened upon this one. Rust free is a big thing up here, not many have survived the midwest winters without rusting up, also 64s are my favorite, I've had 3, the last one for the past 18 years. I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna make him an offer yet. There are a couple things I wanna do to my 64 yet and I've thought about starting on the studebaker.......decisions decisions.........
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
Comet

Post by Comet »

Well if rust free is such a big deal, shop in AZ and have it hauled to MN. For the price you should still be able to find something nice and ship it and have a little left over.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D