Trans gurus please

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Fanatic

Trans gurus please

Post by Fanatic »

Well I FINALLY got to test drive the uni. Holy mackeral is this thing quick!

But my question is......The trans won't shift...only one forward gear and it feels like first or second.....its not the linkage but since this is a 4R70W from 1996 it must be that I wired something wrong. My only thought is ...does the speedo have to work since it is an electronic type that uses a Vehicle Speed Sensor instead of a cable?

any help would be much appreciated...SlickStock is in10 days!

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
mwilk1

Post by mwilk1 »

i dont even know where to start. Yes the speedo must work or the comp doesnt know the vehicle is moving so thus it doesnt know to shift. COould you have something wired wrong. You bet your backside.
Did you use a complete harness and comp out of anouther vehicle? being a 4r70w does yours even have a vss. Does it use just the oss? or did your donor use the abs on the diff as a vss? Does it have 12v at the trans? are you getting your commands to shift? is your prndl adjusted correctly. IF that is off just a little it doesnt even know your in drive so why bother tryin to work. get with me and ill try to help. Skip knows how to get with me directly or we could just use email at mwilk1@houston.rr.com. please have some basic info for me like year and make donor vehicle. do you have a vss or a place for one. some have them some dont. dont meen to sound rude or anything but your asking a lot without information. Thanks Mike
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

what Mike said...

there is a lot going on with that trans.

if you guys go the email rought don't forget to update here when you are done/know what to fix.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Actually the speedo head need not read out but the VSS has to input signal into ECM at some point because without readout signal from the VSS like Mike says, an ECM has no idea if vehicle is in motion, or not or how much. . .
I have run across cases where have the TVR/TVC (or kickdown linkage) is misadjusted killing upshift sequence capability.

Another factor is ground continuity & Powertrain, Body & Chassis have to be all inclusive in a continuous loop because sensors in the powertrain, and mountings on the body sheetmetal all must be included for complete circuitry and electronic function. Some sensors are milli- volt/ amp so grounding quality becomes an issue. Good grounds are critical for accurate function/ operation.

I hope this helps some too. . . . :roll:

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
mwilk1

Post by mwilk1 »

okay this mornining i didnt realize you were not part of the texas chapter. I read skips email and jumped to conclusions and I kow better then that. we can do this by email you can send me your number and i will call you or we can do this via this post. Mike
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Thanx guys---all things lead to hooking up VSS. It is a 96 F150 setup and other than alot of custom work to the harness to get rid of unneeded accessories and adding things like updated fuse panel, its pretty stock. when I got the setup there was nothing plugged into the VSS and I just got anxious to take her out so I haven't wired that in yet. I am using a 96 T-Bird cluster and it is all done but I was thinking that just the speedo wouldn't work. I hope to get to a yard on tues / wed and pick up the needed wiring , put it in and post the result. Thanx for the input and I think everything else is done correctly so I am hoping that this is all I need to do. Will let ya know!

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.