tie rods?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

flareside64

tie rods?

Post by flareside64 »

Ok, I havnt done tie rods before on my 64, and Dennis-Carpenter sells two tie rods 1935-1964...one right hand thread and one left hand thread... I am assuming that one is for the left side and one the right, but why different threads? are both sides the same thread for a 64 or different. Just want to make sure before I order the tie rod ends..

Travis
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

On side has left hand threads. The other is right hand threads. Once installed, you just turn the tierod to adjust the toein.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

ahh

Engineering in its siple yet not so obvious form...got to love it.

mike is right. It is to make the toe in adjustment easier.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Comet

Post by Comet »

Yeah, because if they were both the same thread, when you turned the tie rod it would just move left or right (spacing would remain the same), not in and out for adjustment purposes like it needs to.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

take a measurement of the inside of the tires before starting the job to give yourself a reference.
make sure when you take the center rod out that you keep note of the left and right side because of the threads being different. loosen the clamps and turn the rod to loosen before removing the ends from the spindles.pb blaster might help. lubricate the new threads before reinstalling.make sure to keep both sides evenly threaded.
be careful on starting them straight in the tube especially the left handed thread.
as to the end alignment, i can usually get close enough with a tape but it is wise to visit a shop after to be sure.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

thanks guys for the help! highly appreciated!