Heres on for you.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Garbz

Heres on for you.

Post by Garbz »

Well My fuel guage has not been reading correctly.

In Christine i placed a guage set from the 88 into the 66 bezel. The fuel guage reads empty when full and a little over 1/2 when empty.

Now the old guage swing was only about 45 degrees so that would coenside with the 88's full swing of 90 degress over the ohm range. HOWEVER it is reading bassackwards. Tried the ground to feed trick (switch the wires) to no avail.

My shop manuals on the 88 really dont help with an OHM range for the guage.

Probally doing this as i am cheap and placed a 66 sending unit into the custom stainless tank.

Ideas, Therums?

Garbz :?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Dave. I have an '83 ltd tank in my uni, with the 351w , tranny and rear end out of the same car.

No matter how I wire the gauge it reads backwards. I have not tried to wire the '83 tank sender backwards, as I am afraid of starting a tank fire.

Mine (stock '63 gauge) stays on full(actually reading empty) for a long time, then the last bit when the gauge actually moves across from empty to full is probably about the last 1/3 of the tank's contents.

Sounds like very similar situation to yours but in reverse as I am using stock gauges.

If you get it figured let me know , but it sounds like the rheostats in the senders of old and new work in reverse.

JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Wow glad to realise i aint alone in this... I was scratching my bald gourd yesterday with probes reading OHMs at the guage and at the sender.. I can live with a Empty is full full is empty guage LOL...

I drilled and tapped the tank for the old unit. I may try a universal tank unit in the Ford OHMs range.

I was readiing 1/4 tank the day before and started it and read half a tank....nothing like 22 gallons of gas disappearing overnight.....At least they puked on the rear tire of Jrs 250 after getting some of that rank stuff out of his tank in thier mouth...... :x FCSMFAH

Garbz
Comet

Post by Comet »

You need to figure out the resistance requirements for the new sender and match the gauge accordingly, and also make sure you have good grounds.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

I put a Chevy saddle tank in the bed of my 37 Plymouth, and it read backwards. I tried every combination I could wiring it, made no difference.

I'll probably have that same problem when I get done with my Crown Vic mod, got a 70 Mustang tank, and an 88 fuel gauge. If you come up with a solution, let me know!
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

This is purely a guess guys and I don't know but could the fuel gauge from the 88 or newer ones have a diode built in the gauge? It would account for it going backwards. The way to test a diode is one way on a ohmeter it reads like a short and the other it reads like a open. With all the newer stuff having computers they may have designed it with a diode in it.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Willy/Mike/ Brother JC

Christine has the entire harness installed in it from an 88 F250 I could not find a diode in the harness wiring diagram. I will look again. as far as i can tell from the diagram the fuel sender does not intrereact with the puter'. The guage intereacts with the dual tank switch that i included hidden under the dash...really neat anti theft device as it also shuts off the fuel pump if you switch it to back tank..... :lol:

I have an 86 sender but it uses the large type gasketed retainer. I am going to modify it by attaching it to a earlier screw on plate. Might just be the ticket if i can get it to work...

I did not get to work on it last night but will dive back in to it tonight.

Believe this....I actually walked into an autozone and asked for front brake shoes for a 64 F100 and their puter actually had them.. I asked just how far they go back and the guy behind the counter told me thier puters were updated with all older parts back into the fourties...Dang! And they had the correct 2" shoes on the shelf with a lifetime for 24.99! They even had a locking gas cap listed for a 64 F100. of course the guy asked what engine and i chuckled 472 cubic inch :D . Got the blank look there as the puter said 223, 262 or 292.....

Garbz
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Always good fun to pull the model T into a full serve gas station and yell "Fill 'er up" to the gas jockey, then whip into the snack bar and watch the fun :lol:

except you have to keep an eye on them because 1/2 the time they try and put gas in the radiator...

Burned a few pimple faced fingers on them kids that way LOL

I really have to watch the Uni pulling into one.. the cab gas cap is still there but no tank :?

Kids these days LOL
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Hey JC wonder how many gallons a uni CAB will hold!!! LOL

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Tim. Fortunately, at a full serve gas station I usually remain IN the cab, the better to chase the gas jockey to the back, before he rinses the back of my seat. :roll:
I have bubble wrap stuffed in there to slow them down too LOL
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

I would put one of those snake in can things under the cap. It would pay for itself in laughter in no time. :lol:

I hade visions of that happening, that's why I filled mine. :roll:

Mark
Mark

Comet

Post by Comet »

Hoofbeat Racer wrote:I would put one of those snake in can things under the cap. It would pay for itself in laughter in no time. :lol:
Mark

Bahaha! That's funny! :lol: But be sure to hide a video camera and share his reaction with everyone! :D
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

That is one heck of a plan, Mark!

Got to pick one of them up next time i am in a joke shop!!

:lol:
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

not funny when it happens to you. as it did to me in Canada on the move here. the truck was an 82 on a 67 highboy 4x4 frame and a 66 behind the seat tank.the attendant opened the gas door in the bedside, took off the cap and promptly pumped 20 gallons on the ground.imagine when we came out, got in and the gauge did not move up.i went back inside to complain about paying for nothing, when my wife came behind me and said there was gas all over the ground behind the truck.after some lengthy conversation, the owner decided to split the difference with me and after that i never let anyone else fill up the truck.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton