Bob Drake is repoping Map Pockets

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Casper

Bob Drake is repoping Map Pockets

Post by Casper »

While wondering though the masses at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, KY yesterday I wondered across this.

http://store.bobdrake.com/19fopidostco.html

$195.00 Only sold by the pair and only come in black. Trim ring is plasitc crome. Zipper is plastic. The guy I spoke to said there are no plans to make the trim ring avaliable seperatly.

Bumped into a member from here. He reminded me that sometime back some guys from here were working on redoing the trim rings in metal. Can anyone give me an update on that. Since I already have a pair of original pockets and were looking to redo them in white the product above doesn't seem to be what a need. Plus I would really rather have something a little stronger than plastic holding the thing in. Every original ring I've found has been broken, so why perpetuate the cycle.
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

I had the same problem. I had some decent pockets but no vinyl or plastic trim rings. What I did was to make new pocket covers out on vinyl and make the trim rings out of oak. Worked really good for me. I took 4 pieces of oak,groved them together and glued them . I then traced the outline and cut and routed them. Asfor the vinyl I cut out two pieces of vinyl for each dor and cut the curve in each vinyl. I then had the pieces sewed together and then I put a washer in one piece and a magnet from a hard drive in the other piece. I done away with the crappy zipper and the magnet is strong enough to hold it. I turned the vinyl opposite of the way it was because I never liked seeing the vinyl hang down. A picture is at
http://fordtruk.com/forums/album_showpa ... user_id=25
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

I ordered a set. I will post when they come in and let you know that quality of them.

Mark
Mark

GLindley

Post by GLindley »

If I remember correctly, the member who working to get them made was having a machine shop make them out of one piece billet aluminum. It was kinda pricey, and they were wanting to have several people order them. I can't remember much details other than that...

Gene
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

It's WK65 from the MAC, They are pricey but you can find no finer piece. Believe me he doesn't make much if anything off of them.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Billet aluminum, not just metal. A lot of machining, but they look fabulous and will never, ever break.
http://www.mongrelmotorsports.homestead.com/products.html
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Casper was that you I bumped into at the show well heck why dint ya say so . I actually talked up slicks with a few peaple at the show . I ran into a fella out at the swap meet who is doin a 62 uni . I pointed him this direction . Ok so now that I know who ya are did you get your carpenter parts on your slick yet :D .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Casper

Post by Casper »

That would be me, if you are thinking about a red head :lol: Parts are not on the 66 yet. They will go on after the truck is painted as well as everything else in the cabinet. Painting was supposed to happen over the week of July 4, but the pervious week my car was totaled and I was pretty much out of it. Goal is to have it ready to go by the Super Nats. I've promised someone some photos for a catalog cover and I would hate to miss the deadline two years in a row.