Wheels, Dish, Width

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shawn F.

Wheels, Dish, Width

Post by Shawn F. »

I am wanting to get some wheels for my 66 F100 but haven't decided what to do here yet. I was going to pro street my truck at first but now realizing that it wont be able to happen without a LOT of money so I am going to stick with the 351W I have in it that actually has a few nice things done to it (too much to list and off topic anyways) and put wide wheels and tires in the back and smaller ones in the front and lower the truck and at least give it a SOMEWHAT pro street look but not total slicks or Mickey Thompsons like I wanted at first. Here is what I am wanting though either 15's all the way around or 15 or 16 in front and 17's out back. But this is the thing I want a nice deep dish and a 10 inch wide wheel in the back if possible with 275/60-17's. Is this possible on a 1966 F100 short-wide-bed? I don't mean something like a HUGE drag wheel dish but about 5 or 6 inches deep. Does anyone have ANY pictures of some 60's truck with wheels like this such as American Racing Torq Thrust II's or so?
I'd appreciate ANY info! Thanks in advance.
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

http://www.classictrucks.com/features/0 ... to_06.html
That is around the dish I want like that is on that RED 57 I think it is... Not sure if that is even possible but it's worth a try I guess.
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

Hey Shawn
I have some Questions. And give you some other things to think about.
Are you planning on using the stock bolt pattern for your new wheels?
Because wheel styles for the 5 on 5.5inch bolt circle tend to be rather limited. As they only fit Ford trucks and jeeps.
Secondly are you planning on modifying the rear wheel wells as they tend to limit maximum tire size as the frame and springs narrower than the inner wheel wells.As I recall but it has been awhile. I don't think a tire that wide fits with out some modication. The cover truck you posted has modified frame and wheel wells. I have seen this truck at Goodguys in Ohio this summer and some pro street slicks at other shows also. All Have modified wheel wells and frames.Have 305/50/15's on my long term slammed project slick with custom frame and wheel wells.
PS: I once was going to do the pro street thing to my 64 but decided against it. Due to the fact that I wanted to be able to drive my truck anywhere. Most True pro street vehicles tend to be "Trailer Queens" as they are usually uncomfortable to drive. Just My opinion from what I have witnessed.
But as they say different strokes for different folks.
Not trying to rain on your party just trying to help.
Ken
a2z64

Post by a2z64 »

I've got 17x8 wheels on the rear of my 64 with 275/60R17 tires on them. There's about 1/4" clearance on the outside of the truck and about 1.5" on the inside. I did switch to the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, couldn't get the wheels I wanted in 5X5.5. The fronts are 16X8 with 215/60R16 tires. Go to the album and you can see a picture of my truck. Can't say for sure if the room in yours is the same as my 64 longbox.
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Here's Alan's truck from his album here on the site.....

[albumimg]177[/albumimg]

You can click it to get a bigger image.

Gene
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

I am not really going to do the whole Pro Street thing because of exactly what you said, they are uncomfy to drive. I was going to put a 460 into the truck and make it a pro street for just racing but now things have changed and it will be a street truck but with wide tires out back. Nothing like 31 tall and 16.5 inches wide but I mean something like a 275 or even a 305 tire or such would be awesome... I like your truck though Alen, looks great and I want to use American Torq Thrust II's as well. I was going to use them at first and then said no because everyone else had them but now I want to use them again and maybe thinking of the ones with the silver in the middle instead of ALL polished but that isn't decided yet until I can find someone to photoshop my truck to see what looks better with the color of my truck. How can I chance the rear bolt pattern and front? I have a 76 disk brake set up on the front right now but would love to change it.
Also, my plans for the rear was to get original wheel tubs for the bed and widen the stocks and put the leaf springs INBOARD of the frame rails. Only thing is I don't know how to keep the spring mounts and hangers parallel and straight when I put them on the inside and switch side to side. Alen's truck is what I like and the EXACT same height I want with the fender JUST over the lip of the wheel but I want a bit of a deeper dish in the back wheel.
Sorry for the long post here guys and thanks a lot for anymore help. Alen I'd like some info on how you got your truck that low as well if you don't mind.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Might try some Gen I wheels like this. You could have two widened for the rear.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-Ford- ... 9742QQrdZ1
I believe they are 17s not 18s.
Jim
a2z64

Post by a2z64 »

Shawn,
I have a fatman MII front suspension which came with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, a machine shop redid the studs on the rear to match. New leaf springs were installed in the rear to lower it. I too thought the torque thrust rims were overdone but I got them anyway and love the look, I guess there's a reason they're so popular. Main thing is do what you want to do, it's your truck!
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Jim, those are a great price on the rims there but not my style. For the price though they are good especially for the size and what they came off of. I am still going to look into the Torq Thrust II's though and see what I can do. Alen, how much did your Fat Man front end cost you COMPLETE? Did you have to change the brake booster and lines or are you able to keep those and hook it up to the MII front end and brake set up? Will I have to run a rear sump pan in my 351W on that MII set up?
a2z64

Post by a2z64 »

Hey Shawn I sent you a message, let me know if you got it. I'm new to this message deal.
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Alen I sure did and I sent one right back to you! Thanks.