uni 4x4

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ayatollah of rock&rol

uni 4x4

Post by ayatollah of rock&rol »

hey slicksters. i finaly got around to posting a pic of my 62 uni 4x4 .
i know there is some contraversy over the originality of this truck but frankly scarlet.............
as far as im concered its close enough.ive always liked the look of the uni and all of the other slick 4x4s that ive owened over the decades were bullet proof so, best of both worlds eh.
some of you may remember the posts from another site a few weeks back when i first got this. you might know me as ddub ( i hated that name, what was i thinking)
i have pics from under and of all the components if anyone cares to see .it sure looks original to me.but according to some of the slick gurus ive talked to theres no way. it could be a transplant from a few doners .i was going to call her the unicorn because as someone once said"a uni 4x4 is as rare as the fabled unicorn"
but it might be more accurate to call her frankenstien .
so any way there she is. thought you might like to see her.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

for those that have a hard time navigating
[albumimg]334[/albumimg]
(but how could you,it is sooooo easy!)

As for the originality...WHO CARES!! IT IS COOL!! :lol: :lol:
I would love to do one of those some day! :roll: But who has the time and money for 2 slicks! :lol:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Comet

Post by Comet »

Cool. Just curioius what the vin says.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
doc

Post by doc »

Original or not, that's cool as he!!......
'66 F-100 Custom Cab
352/3-tree, red/white, LWB
ayatollah of rock&rol

title says f26yk805486
frame rail says f26yk805486
door jamb tag says f26yk805486
glov box door is MIA
title is for a 1962 ford g/truck pu
go ahead and please , decode your brains out
any info would be bitchin
i can use all the help and advise i can get

!!!!!!release the hounds!!!!!
ayatollah of rock&rol

i sold my 65 3/4 ton 4x4 to an employ of mine a few years back(rustiest truck in the history of all trucks anywhere,)(drivers fender flew off in a fit of rebelion during a creek crossing). but the running gear was bullit proof.
the body was shot so we put it thru (not heaven)
but i regreted the sale almost imediatly so i have been activly searching for another one for a while
unfortunatly this truck doesnt have any cancer at all(did i realy just say that) so ill have to curb the appitite for destruction and try to take it down a notch
not to say ill be turning it into an I5 four wheel drive but i sure wont be slaming into creek beds at close to 40 mph( ah memories)
so im starting my search for the correct emblems ( the hood is from a 64)and of course a tail gate $$$ it came with the correct doors (near perfect condition) whoever had it before must have liked the other doors better.
blah blah blah.....
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

F26=4x4

Y= 352 engine

K=Kansas City plant

805486= January 66
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
ayatollah of rock&rol

that settles it .i shall hencforth refer to my new toy as "FRANKENSTIEN"!!!

!!!LIFE,,,,LIFE,,,,GIVE MY CREATION ,,,LIIIIIFE!!!!!

or frank cause im a lazy one figered typer.

thanks for the imput how did you come up with the date?
anyone got a spare tailgate.or f250 hood spears?
not havin much luck localy.but iv only been lookin kinda half -ss for a few weeks.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the longbed uni is an almost direct bolt up on the 66 f250 4x4 frame.the wb of the uni is 2" longer than the f250 4x4. not sure if you are the one who e-mailed me about spears but if so i found it in my junk email box and sent a reply.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Comet

Post by Comet »

So the door tag was swapped with the frame from a '66?
ayatollah of rock&rol

yeah i guess the tags and title were swaped with the frame.
im was wondering about body flex . i was thinking that mabey i should box the frame or something to help with flex . i dont want by body to flex out to much and crack.
any thoughts,sugestions, ridicule, or scorn on that subject?
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

It depends on how you are going to use this truck. If you take it off road, you will experience the same problems Ford did like doors popping open, tailgates falling off and tears in the body at the point of flex. If you use it like most 4x4 owners for those treacherous trips to the mall, you should be ok. Boxing the frame will probably compound the problem. There has to be some "give" somewhere. You have a cool looking truck, enjoy it as is.
ayatollah of rock&rol

guess ill just have to trick it out (dang).most of the local hunting around here is pretty accesable ( just some snow in the higher elevations,mabey a little mud) i do have five other 4x4 s so if i get a wild hair and have to bash the proverbial boonie i can always take a stouter rig.plus the more i look this thing over the more i want to realy do her up right.
it has a 68 390 in it now and i have a 1960 390 hp sittin on a stand all decked out and rarin to go . but im thinkin of the 428 crank swap . the 390 is 30 over . i had the coae-d heads worked over with the big valves . stock grind 390 hp cam but the extra cubes might be cool if i can find a good crank.
but what the hey, its fine the way it is so ill just swap it with the old 390 and concentrate on cosmetics
RlCHARD CRANlUM

Post by RlCHARD CRANlUM »

Did you buy that truck in Oregon by chance? The reason I ask is because I saw a 3/4 ton 4x4 unibody on a trailer some time ago... looked alot like yours.
ayatollah of rock&rol

i bought it in washugal washington wich is directly ocross the columbia river from portland oregon.
the guy i bought it from had owened it for a while but its been sitting in his barn for the last 4 or 5 years.
he did say something about buying it from some guy in oregon but im not sure when.
so i guess it could be the same one ,depends on when you saw it . the only other uni 4x4 i can remember seeing was a 1/2 ton short bed 5 or 6 years ago at the anual" rod run at the end of the world" in ocean park washington . wich i try to never miss .
we keep a standing reservation at one of the hotels there every year. other wise finding a room for the weekend is next to impossable
its a 3 day cruis w/ a 2 day show that attracts several hundered hot rods , muscle cars and bitchin trucks (yes a dozen or so slicks and several fat fenders. its i slice of heaven
Comet

Post by Comet »

not to change the subject, but ayatollah, post when that run is next year. I've always wanted to go, but seem to only hear about it after it's over.
Back on topic :)
ayatollah of rock&rol

this year its the weekend of sep 8 -9 - 10.its not too late to go this year .but it can be hard to find a room . a few years back we lost our reservations so we drove out on the beach and gathered a mountain of driftwood and had an old fashion beach blanket bimbo all night bon fire / party .
its cool to hang on the beach all night as long as you dont try to set up tents and camp . the po- lice will run you off if every one is crashed out , but as long as your up and around then its ok. ( so dont stop the party)or at least thats the way it was . but things tend to change without further notice.
ocean park is on the long beach peninsula on the southern point of washington state coast. one of the few beaches in america that its ok to drive on. and man is it a cool weekend .mass hot rods and cool rigs . a big cruise/ parade of cars from ocean park to illwalko .apprx 3 to 5 miles long .( just like the old days ) man it can realy take you back.
Comet

Post by Comet »

Yeah, been to the area many times. I a PNW4WDA member and we clean up the beach every year in Sept. Hmm, I'll have to see about this year, but it's not looking good. Next year I'll have my truck done too, so I'll target that for sure.