Step side bed wood

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

btalley63

Step side bed wood

Post by btalley63 »

Hello All,
I just may have a line on a very clean stepside bed. When relpacing the wood, is the wood just in planks or are the ends grooved to make them sit flush with the metal? Just wondering.
Thanks for the info
Comet

Post by Comet »

The nice show trucks I've seen have a rabbited edge (like a step) and a chrome runner holding down each board running the length of the bed.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

http://www.mar-k.com/bedwood_dimensions.pdf

There's an article over at FTE with the correct dimensions for Fords, (Mar-K sells chevy strips). For the life of me, I can't find the link at the old site, but I think Johnny Canuck posted it. May have to wait til SlickStock is over to get the other link.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

I found the pic I'd misplaced.

[albumimg]433[/albumimg]

These are the dimensions I'm going to use, and going to use 3/4 plywood.

BEFORE anyone says plywood won't last, my flareside had plywood in it when I got it, and it lasted nearly ten years, with NO maintenance. Before I put the new wood in, I'm going to stain (or paint) and seal it with polyurethane. It'll be for work, not show.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
mark

Post by mark »

do you know were i get a kit or do i need to do it all my self?
66 f-100 with plans to rebild
240 inline 6 w/t 3 speed onthe tree truck still stock
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Bruce Horkey Wood Parts. best in the biz
Another place is Bob Carpenter.

Google em....

Just dont call it a chevy part LOL

Garbz
mark

Post by mark »

thank you for the help. do you think a 66 would look good with just a flat bed or keep the sides
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
flgargoyle

Post by flgargoyle »

I built a bed for a '70 using southern yellow pine. You have to cut a rabbet in each plank for the metal strips to lie flush, and there is a gap between the planks that the bolts for the strips go through. If you butt everything together tight, it'll rot, and the swelling from moisture can mess things up. After I finished all the wood work, I sealed every inch of the planks in epoxy, and then several coats of marine polyurethane varnish. Sunlight will destroy epoxy, so you have to overcoat it. IMHO, I don't like the looks of a single wheel flatbed. I've seen some that took a lot of effort and craftsmanship, but they still didn't look 'right'. A Flareside Slick is a true classic!
Jay
'64 Short Wide
'96 F150 SWB 4.9 auto
mark

Post by mark »

thank for the sit it will help a lot
66 f-100 with plans to rebild
240 inline 6 w/t 3 speed onthe tree truck still stock