Help 4x4 guys

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

flareside64

Help 4x4 guys

Post by flareside64 »

Im putting together a 65 4x4 combining my 65 2wd and 72 4x4. The 72 has the NP-435 4 speed with a mated transfer case.. The trans seemed to be worn out(as in syncros). Where as the 65 had the same trans and I believe it is still good... Whats involved to mount the mated transfer case to the 2wd trans? Or am I better off using this divorced 205 transfer case that I have? But Im not sure if the driveshafts will work.. I have driveshafts for the 205 but it came from a truck with a C-6 automatic... I dont like automatics so I aint putting that in there, and I really dont want to spend the bucks to have custom driveshafts made.. Whats a guy to do?

Travis
Comet

Post by Comet »

The divorced system with the 205 is the strongest way to build it. If you are set on the 72 drivetrain swap, just rebuild the NP435. It's super easy and Novak conversions sells a kit for about $200. I had never rebuilt a tranny before, but I did this one and it works great. They have a good tech line for questoins too. Taking one apart to swap married parts on it will be about the same level of digging into it as if you were to rebuild it anyway. You will likely need to modify drive shafts no matter which way you go, except possibly the full '72 swap (are the wheel bases the same?)
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D