Radio

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Casper

Radio

Post by Casper »

anyone have any recommendations for a modern radio/cd player to go in the dash. Thanks to a previous ower there were a football shapped hole in the dash. Since I had to fix it anyways and I'm not crazy about Am I'm wanted a new model. However all I seem to be finding are units with animated graphics between or above the buttons. Anyone know any brand who is making a quality unit without the picture show?
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Casper, there is a guy down here in the BiKiNi State, over in Tampa, that re-fits OEM radios with newer AM/FM Stereo & even tape/CD capability in the original case/ housing. . . .

If ya want I can post his Addy & you can contact him.

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Yeah, the sweet solution is an retrofitted OEM radio with rca or mini plug set up in the glove box to accept your tunes of choice. iPod, MP3, Cd player, Sirrus etc.

It can be a little spendy to go that route, but there is nothing that looks quite as nice in a Slick dash as a Slick radio.

You'd have to repair the dash -- finding a patch piece should be pretty simple -- there are lots of rusted out cabs that still have an intact dash that you could harvest a chunk of dash from and just weld over the hole, then feather out the edges with puttty and repaint.

If I could figure out how to post a pic here, I'd do it.[/img]
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
late4dinner

Post by late4dinner »

If you like to keep the factory radio on dash. you could install the radio in the top. I built a radio bracket and usued the headliner piece that contains the dome light and installed speakers. I even have sattelite radio.
66' F100 lnb 302 efi,aod daily driver 66' F100 lwb 352 4x4
Jonas
United States of America

Post by Jonas »

cdherman wrote:Yeah, the sweet solution is an retrofitted OEM radio with rca or mini plug set up in the glove box to accept your tunes of choice. iPod, MP3, Cd player, Sirrus etc.

It can be a little spendy to go that route, but there is nothing that looks quite as nice in a Slick dash as a Slick radio.

You'd have to repair the dash -- finding a patch piece should be pretty simple -- there are lots of rusted out cabs that still have an intact dash that you could harvest a chunk of dash from and just weld over the hole, then feather out the edges with puttty and repaint.

If I could figure out how to post a pic here, I'd do it.[/img]

Try this site http://imageshack.us/ it makes it pretty easy. Here is living proof. If I can do it.

cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Here is a pic, I hope!

[albumimg]431[/albumimg]

See the RCA jacks? Those are for the inputs. Note the new wires for stereo speakers, 4 channel etc. All that for $400 Ouch.......
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

On to the question asked the last two radios I have bought have been jensen and clarion. The clarion I have now is a decent player no bells and whistle just a decent radio. What I did on both units was to check ebay. There are people there who sell exclusively on there. Just check the ratings and how many they have sold. One suggestion though is to get one that plays mp3s. I took all my cds and converted them to mp3s and saved them on my computer. Then instead of having dozens of cds I only have 4-5 that has the type of music I want to listen to on a particular day. Each cd usually holds at least 100-150 songs. And if they get broke ,who cares I will just burn another one. And my originals are safely away and not getting scratched.
DanSanDiego2000

Clean Stereo Installation

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

I am really happy with my sound system. All I put in was an amplifier under the seat, and that is half the battle. I wired it so the amplifier comes on with the ignition key. It has 4 connections for front/rear right/left speakers, and RCA input jacks. Plug in your MP3 player into the RCA in amplifier, and you have 10s of thousands of songs..... no CDs to carry, lose, scratch or have stolen. With the amplifier under seat, and iPod stored away, all the rest of the world sees is your stock dash. You could add to this and put a 6-disc changer under the seat, with a remote control, but I find with my MP3s, I have all I need. Plus, my particular Player has AM/FM/TV and other radio channels on it, so I can listen to the radio, too. You can plug in an old-school Sony Walkman cassette player, a portable CD player, an iPod, or even MP3 cellphones..... anything that has a 1/8" jack with an RCA end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130025565260&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I do make the speaker panels you see in the ad. Please, don't be concerned about the commercial nature of this post. I made these panels because I thought they were an ideal solution to my Slick's Sound System challenge. I hope my fellow Slicksters enjoy whatever solution they come up with. I am happy to help out.

Dan

Image Image
Last edited by DanSanDiego2000 on September 12, 2006, 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

700 watts? Granted that is peak but it sure seems they may be boasting a bit.

I used to be a car stereo buff in my previous life. So I do understand the basics, but if you were to put a true 700 watts to those, yeesh. I am in no way knocking your product, just the speakers. Just seems like outrageous claims by a relative unknown speaker manufacturer. Not to mention I couldn't really find any reviews from reputable sources...

Anyhow, I set my truck up similar to yours. I run a pair of Polk db525 in small enclosures (actually stainless steel 32oz soup ladels!) hung from under my dash. I want to build a custom aluminum kick panel that covers the vent as well as enclose the speaker. I have a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 1 8" subs in sealed enclosures and a Rockford Fosgate Punch P8004 amplifier. I use an adapter cable with the 1/8" head phone jack to connect to my Creative Labs Zen MicroPhoto 8GB with FM radio.

It is small, compact and sounds killer. I really like the flexibility of this system and not having a deck to deal with. The inside of my dash is full of ignition system gear and Vintage Air so I don't have any room anyway.
If you do need to get in touch, please use my Email at info@industrialchassisinc.com or post a message on my Facebook Page

Thank you,
Steve
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

ELpolacko wrote:I have a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 1 8" subs in sealed enclosures and a Rockford Fosgate Punch P8004 amplifier. I use an adapter cable with the 1/8" head phone jack to connect to my Creative Labs Zen MicroPhoto 8GB with FM radio.

ElP, where did you put the subs? I would love to see sme pictures of your setup. Thanks, Tim
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

BigTim wrote:ElP, where did you put the subs? I would love to see sme pictures of your setup. Thanks, Tim

I just took the pictures. I just slapped this box and amp mount together before I left for the LoneStar Roundup back in April. I want to make a few changes though. The amp is right up against my back and man that sucker gets hot. When I drove to LA in June the AC kept my front comfy but my back was sweaty, so I intend to move the batteries to the bed next to the cargo box and then build new boxes that extened into the airspace behind the door jam and that would allow me to mount the amp horizontal between the boxes and allow for more air around the amp so it doens't get so hot and will insulate us a bit better.

The upshot to this mod would help my AC perform a bit better. I get hot air coming from the airspace behind the doors. I should have built some neat door panels for the meantime but I never really did an interior in this. Now I am getting the bug to finish the interior so I will keep you guys informed on the mods as they come.

[albumimg]674[/albumimg] [albumimg]675[/albumimg]
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

cdherman: Did the $400 include the radio or did you provide that? I have two radios and I know one works but the other is an unknown. I like the looks of the original. After having two decks stolen in two years (broken side window repair is more expensive than the deck) I want the original look. My original radio was not touched in the 24 years I have had the truck. $400.00 may be the least expensive route in the long run.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

The price did NOT include the radio. However, your unit that does not work is just fine, so long as it LOOKS ok. The guts are all going bye bye.

http://www.taymanelectrical.com/

I am pleased so far. I think I am more limited by the speaker than the radio. There is a dual voice coil single speaker that he also sells -- its a drop in replacement for the original in my 65 at least. Anyhow, it puts stereo out of one speaker, and does a decent job I may add, compared to the orginal at least.

But compared to my Bose surround sound in my 2006 car -- well there ain't no comparison....

I think for the real audiophile that still wants the orignal look, go with the conversion that has the 4 way option with front/back speakers. Put the DVC single speaker under the dash, and then drop some nice speakers in the doors (but DONT mangle the orignal panels to do it).

I have the problem that the sound is nice from the single DVC speaker, but there are rattles in the dash at any high volumn. The ash tray starts to vibrate with the base!!