Pics of a newbie's unibody project...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Part the above mentioned parts out of your uni , then do it. seriously.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Does your friend's uni still have the big back window in it? What do you think he'd want for it?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

He and I go for a beer every Friday from 5:00-7:00.. you can set your watch by it.

I'll ask him.

JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Thanks. 8)
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

Big M
I agree with fordboy and what makes yours even cooler 8) 8) 8) 8)
Is the fact that it is a Canadian only piece making the mercs even more special than others slicks which are all cool 8) 8) 8) 8)
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
Comet

Post by Comet »

Absolutely scour the bone yards for things you can easily replace. Don't even think of having someone work on those fenders. They're cheap and are all the same 61-66. The doors are a little harder to find for uni's, but they're out there. Have the body guy do the floors if you want, but don't pay anyone for sheet metal you can buy. Even with shipping, you'll be ahead unless the guy works for beer. Then you'd gotta wonder if he did! :lol:
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
f100fordguy
United States of America

Post by f100fordguy »

No project is too hard to do, you just have to be patient. My 60 4x4 was as ruff as that or actually even worse and turned out really nice. I can see you got all the parts that will be hard to come by like all the merc logos and soon it will be as nice as this red uni i saw on my way to school here in michigan [albumimg]502[/albumimg]
The other 2 pics are of my truck[albumimg]503[/albumimg][albumimg]504[/albumimg]

Tim
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Comet: I bought floor repair panels already (pans, steps, lower door pillars, cab mounts) and I'll definitely be having my body guy install them. He does good work (I'm told he fills with lead) and I was quoted 6-8 hours labour. I didn't think that was too bad. His comment was "I've seen worse." :lol:

I've been having trouble finding good fenders though, or at least ones that are for sale. I'll keep looking, don't worry. :)

The pics actually make the truck look worse than it is. The box is actually really solid, as is the rad support. I think the doors can be reskinned on the bottom.

Nice truck, f100fordguy! That's quite the before/after... :shock:
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Big M ya missed the biggest swap meet in Alberta in Red Deer in may, I'm sure there were slick fenders there.
Don't get too upset , you might not need them 'til next year that time anyway LOL

One thing to determine whether a Uni is worth saving is the torque box, directly under the seam where the box floor meets the cab.
If that sucker is rotten, it is a HEAP of work to fix it. I saw one in Leduc last spring that was so bad, it had weeds growing in part of it, and you could see the ground below thru the rest. :cry:
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Yeah, no rush on fenders. The passenger side isn't that bad. The driver's would be flapping in the breeze, though. :lol:

You're talking about the steel channel directly underneath? Is it really that difficult to fabricate a new one? I did take a look under there when I was getting it ready to be towed home. It was... well, let's just say less than perfect. :(

There still looked to be plenty of steel to work with. Nowhere near as bad as the one you described.
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

Big M
The fender is definitley toast. The inner support frame will be bad because it used to attach where yours is rotten. If your stuck I think I have one in the attic of the garage with couple of small holes and no dent.I'll take a look and send picture if interested. That one you have would be wave city after you welded the patches on it.
I personally woud tackle fixing the floor it would be easier.
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
Comet

Post by Comet »

f100fordguy, that '60 is very cool! Those trucks look great in 4x4s to me-mean looking! They also make great hot rods, dropped in the weeds. You done good on saving that one.
Nearby there is a '60 4x4 I see all the time. I have toyed with knocking on the door as I never see it moved. But I have too many other cars and projects.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

There's bad news and good news.............
the bad news is, he wants 4-5 gs for his truck as it is rare in these parts
the good news is, he saw a truck on ebay go by for $250 with no bids in Idaho, and he is gonna ask the guy if he will still sell it...................
steal of a deal if he does.

When you can pull a rust freee uni out of a place like Boise, and have it delivered. for say 1000 or $1200 bux... how much body work and grief does that pay for?..............

this from a guy with 18+ Gs in body work.....
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Big M, my friend called me tonite, said the ebay guy has a solid body in Utah and he offered to road trip and go pick it up for you if he can have some of the parts you aren't going to use, if you were to make it worthwhile for him.
(I guess and I, seeing how we road trip together) to go and get it and bring it back for you, if you want.

Let me know, otherwize he is gonna get the front fenders shipped up for himself, they are better than his, as the body (Doors torque box, box,fenders, cab) are all pretty good on the ebay truck he found. But he doesn't need it all, and we won't go get it if you don't want it. I can get him to email me pics if you are interested.

JC
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

JC,

Thanks for the detective work!

Go ahead and get me some pics and I'll definitely consider it. 8)
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

See what I can get you tonite
PM me an email addy