4x4 hubcaps

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Cucaracha

4x4 hubcaps

Post by Cucaracha »

here is the question for the purists and historians--did 4X4 slicks, 1966 is the particular year in question--have hubcaps and if so what kind exactly. Mine has some early 70s caps that aren't right. I recall many 4x4s coming from the factory with no caps. But if they had 'em I want 'em. not looking for speculation. looking for knowledge. thanks, all.
Cucaracha
'66 Camper Special 352 auto
'66 F110 Custom 352 4spd
Comet

Post by Comet »

You didn't say, but I assume from your sig you are talking F100. Top row, third cap in.
http://www.hubcaps.org/fordtruck.html
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Cucaracha

Post by Cucaracha »

I have seen those on broncos but not on pickups--just going on memory here and from photos posted here and there. Not doubting anyone's veracity but can others confirm that for a F100/F110 4x4 that the hucbcaps cited are correct? Or were there no caps? I'm just lookin' to be confident. :?:
Cucaracha
'66 Camper Special 352 auto
'66 F110 Custom 352 4spd
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

I have a 66 brochure and it shows a F100 4x4 with just black wheels and no caps.. I also have a 63 brochure and it show the 4x4 with black wheels and only caps on the rear(because of the front hubs). Those were of the "bottlecap" style 1961-1965... But one 61 brochure shows the 4x4 with no caps at all also. I believe most 4x4's did not have caps, just black or white wheels.

Travis
Dan64

Post by Dan64 »

Comet's ID of the cap is correct. That wheelcover was indeed offered on 1966 Ford pickups. However, that is not to say ALL '66 4x4 trucks had those wheelcovers. They were optional, most commonly offered with the Custom Cab package.

And, contrary to popular belief, "Custom Cab" didn't always mean the same thing. Buyers would pick and choose different features. In fact, it is quite possible the wheelcovers were added by dealerships, only if the customer requested them.

So, in my mind, that means either way (wheelcovers or no wheelcovers) is technically "correct" from a restoration standpoint. Unless you have the original dealer invoice, there's no way to know what your particular truck originally had on it.

Dan64
Comet

Post by Comet »

I know the '67-'72 trucks better and I have seen brochures of F100s with the wheel covers I posted. I have only seen one truck with them, however and it was a show quality restoration. My bet is before the resto, the had no cap when bought new.
OLDTRUX
United States of America

Post by OLDTRUX »

No hub caps on 4-wheel drive from the factory

http://www.cars.com/go/search/fsbo_sear ... e=carskbbT
Comet

Post by Comet »

As I have read it they were a dealer option.