'66 F100 ready for inspection

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mazlem

'66 F100 ready for inspection

Post by Mazlem »

I got my '66 F100 a couple years ago an it's finally ready for inpection! It has a 302ci 4bbl and 4spd - probably both out of an '84 F250 my dad says. The motor runs an sounds great! I had a dual exhaust put on it which sounds good too; maybe a tad quiet but we'll see. It still needs some finishing touches, but it's at least ready to drive now.

I just busted it outa the garage last weekend to wash, take pics for insurance, an go for a test drive. Stopping with the manual drums is... interesting. Once I'm more used to downshifting it should be better. (I've never had a stick-shift of my own till now.) Here's pics! An one for the post:

Last edited by Mazlem on July 30, 2012, 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Truckrat
United States of America

66 F 100 ready for inspection

Post by Truckrat »

Looks great to me. Glad to see another Slick back out on the road.
Is that a Gun Metal Metallic Gray on it? Almost looks like a 4 x 4.
Great job, man.
TR
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Mazlem,

Great Job, Welcome to Slick 60s, I see it's your 1st post. :D

I have a SWB 66 Custon Cab myself. At least it looks like a 66 F-100 from the outside, but we all know ya can't judge a book by its' cover, Huh?:roll:

You are in with a really great group of good people/ guys here. See ya on the boards! :)

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
Brion71

Post by Brion71 »

Sweet truck. welcome aboard.
Brion.

Post by Mazlem »

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I dunno what shade of gray it is; I didn't paint it. It's not metallic tho. Not the smoothest paint job either but it'll do.

Aside from the motor an trans, it's pretty well a stock '66 F100 4x2. The only other difference I've seen is the door tag says 3.25 axle gears, but the axle tag says 338 (no period?)

The tag says it's a custom cab; it's got the chrome windshield trim an (painted-over) holes for the side moulding. Did the custom cabs definitely get the sweeping speedo? The previous owner said he'd gotten it with the circular speedo and he'd started putting in the sweeping one, which I finished.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Mazlem,
CC's are wierd Man. They come all sorts of ways. There were "option packages" offered also, like Courtesy & Convenience Group, Lighting group (with 4 way hazard flashers & map lights)or Bright Trim, or Tinted glass and so forth. The bright trim on the sides, the script on the doors and the bright trim around the windshield & rear glass were pretty much standard fare. Mine is a CC & it came with a round Speedo. . . .

But the basic truth seems to be it was possible to get almost every option with a basic "CC" truck, but not with Customs or "Industrial" or "Military" models.

I worked out of the Teterboro DSO, tho the dealership was near FoMoCos Mawah Plant back in the day, and I got to prep several "Ranger Options" with 390 FEs & 4Gear Manual or C-6 A/T, & Detroit Lockers etc. for the PooBahs at the assembly plant @ Mawah. Now there was no actual record of these trucks, except for a special DSO Code Number designation. :roll:

They had Falcon Buckets, a console & interior trim like no other Slicks. Now every once and a while a Ranger will turn up but, I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY OEM 390 powered F-100s with a 4 gear P-Car tranny for 40 years. :roll:

They were on a CC rated Chassis though. . . "Henry" was sort of Anal
that way. :lol: :lol:

FBp 8)
Mazlem

Post by Mazlem »

Interesting stuff. I'm not *planning* on a serious restoration, but the more I read an find out what's correct for this year / model, the more I have to think about if I really want to make that change to the truck.

Like from what I've read, the gear/lightening emblems were only for 6 cylinder trucks in '66. But on hand I've got a horn button and a hood emblem with the gear/lightening. Then again I'm not even sure if I want to keep the business-like no-emblem look or dress it up a little.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Well, IMHO, there are those that do correct "Concours de Elegans" true to Vintage Resto's, then there are guys like me who build Slicks that are a Blast to drive, and then there is a whole world of folks in between me and the AACA resto and on the other side between me and the radical all out Show/Custom with different suspension & Power/ drive trains.

Based on above there are Slicks "All Over the Page as well as in between everything else" & that's what makes them so great. . . . We all can do what we want/ like with them and mostly everybody appreciates that about them. :roll::lol:

We all, or mostly all, agree to disagree and accept "what ever", to most extremes. Of course we all have some level of tolerance at some point. I can get pretty hinky at some of the crap I run Across, but I don't act on it, except maybe laugh at it, or make rude comments. . . you know.:lol::lol: :D :roll: :cry:

So Do what you want & what makes you happy, what you already started on looks great to me. It's straight, crisp, clean & photogenic and that's a great start in most folks book. . . . :D

FBp 8)
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Hey the reason I can bring myself to modify a Slick is, they are new enough and plentiful enough to alter and there's still some out there for the resto guys.

There are exceptions, many of us at Slickstock were bristling at the suggestion that the F100XL was to be repainted...
:o

Chop and I have had a few discussions at where to draw the line, mine is any Ford built before old Henry I died. I love old Ford Rods, don't get me wrong they are beautiful cars, the 30's and 40's Fords were among the most beautifully styled vehicles there ever were. But they make Repops of those bodies now, leave the real steel to the restoration guys, IMO.

And a side note to FBp.. hey if the XL can surface, surely one of those Rangers will , eventually. Just where is Mugwump? Bet there's still some around there...
:D
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Nice truck! I'm a sucker for a short bed...

Dad has the same rims on the 71.

Adrianspeeder
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Nice Slick Maz. You should be very proud of it.

Johnny Canuck wrote: surely one of those Rangers will , eventually.
:D

I know where one is, original owner will not sell it it period. Saving it for his grandson. Family Heirloom, now leave me alone, is how he put it.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Tim.
He has a 66 F-100 based -Ranger with a 390 FE & P-Car 4-gear? :shock:

And JC,
It's not MugWump, :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :roll:

It's Mahwah, N.J. Like In like BahWah! . . . :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

FoMoCo has, or had a P-Car Assembly Plant there. The Slicks came out of the Mighigan Truck Plant and all delivered via one "Nu Car Carrier" trailer load at the same time to our Dlrshp.

FBp 8)
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

FORDBOYpete wrote:Mazlem,
CC's are wierd Man. They come all sorts of ways. There were "option packages" offered also, like Courtesy & Convenience Group, Lighting group (with 4 way hazard flashers & map lights)or Bright Trim, or Tinted glass and so forth. The bright trim on the sides, the script on the doors and the bright trim around the windshield & rear glass were pretty much standard fare. Mine is a CC & it came with a round Speedo. . . .

But the basic truth seems to be it was possible to get almost every option with a basic "CC" truck, but not with Customs or "Industrial" or "Military" models.

I worked out of the Teterboro DSO, tho the dealership was near FoMoCos Mawah Plant back in the day, and I got to prep several "Ranger Options" with 390 FEs & 4Gear Manual or C-6 A/T, & Detroit Lockers etc. for the PooBahs at the assembly plant @ Mawah. Now there was no actual record of these trucks, except for a special DSO Code Number designation. :roll:

They had Falcon Buckets, a console & interior trim like no other Slicks. Now every once and a while a Ranger will turn up but, I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY OEM 390 powered F-100s with a 4 gear P-Car tranny for 40 years. :roll:

They were on a CC rated Chassis though. . . "Henry" was sort of Anal
that way. :lol: :lol:

FBp 8)

Did you install the Ranger badges or were they delivered with them? I think a lot of confusion came with the dealer optioned trucks. Seems you could get 427 package, 428, and just about anything else if you were willing to pay the right dealer. One summer night in 1965, a guy came in to a service station with a 427 optioned Ranger. Had a top loader 4 speed (don't ask me what they used for a shifter) Guy said he ordered it that way. I would like to have been a fly on the wall and listened to that transaction. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Jim
Comet

Post by Comet »

Well Mazlem, not that my opinion counts for anything, but my inspection says she's a beauty! 8)
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Mazlem

Post by Mazlem »

I got a box from LMC Truck today! I've got a few things on allready - new door locks and a seat cover. I need some clips an then I can put on the door trim panels an armrests.

I also painted the dash vent covers and the speaker cover white. I thought it'd be a good contrast but it looks a little odd actually. I may end up painting them black. The padded dash is all cracked an brittle. I'd like to remove it but it seems to be glued on an I don't want to open that mess right now. Anybody taken their dash off before?
OLDTRUX
United States of America

Post by OLDTRUX »

I LIKE it! :D