Refresh my memory.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

btalley63

Refresh my memory.

Post by btalley63 »

A four wheel drive steering column from a 70's model pickup will not work in a 65/66 slick, Correct?
Thanks for any info.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Correct. . . . . the 4X4 is front steer, the tie rod is in front of the diffy so the driveshaft can run to the Transfer case without hitting the steering linkage. :roll:

On a 4X2 or 2 Wd,there is no tie rod, it's a center link and it is behind the twin I's,. So Steering Box is right near the firewall. Strg Col ends a few inches after the firewall on a 4X2. :wink:

Also, unless the 2Ws has a granny tranny, you'll need the shift lever to change gears, most 4X4s are floor shifted. :D

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Well, actually it will just as well as any other 70's column BUT you need a coupler. The 4X4 column just has splines on the end but if you get a coupler from a late 70's van or truck with tilt it will allow you to use a 4X4 column in a 2 wheel drive. I would also point out that according to Ford most 4X4 trucks were automatic trans after 1973. You can also just replace the inner shaft with one from a 2 wheel drive and that will give you teh lower flange you need. Hawkrod