Gauge voltage regulator

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial

Gauge voltage regulator

Post by 66camperspecial »

My gas gauge never worked when below a half tank and the temp,gas and oil gauge moved up and down a little while the motor was running so I replaced the regulator with one from a 69 I parted,now the oil reads alot more and the temp is up on the scale and about 20 degress more then it actually is so could a wrong year regulator be the cause or did the temp gauge ever read acurately on those trucks (1966). Jeff
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

there is also an instrument panel voltage regulator on the back of the panel.i do not know if the amount of voltage differs by year.if it is bad your gauges will not work correctly.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

The part name is Instrumental Cluster Voltage Regulator in which controls the voltage to your Gas/Temp gauge on the back held with 2 screws 2 terminals go to it We can new ones if interested :D
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

The IPVR is adjustable. Read the following link for more info:

http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9698
Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

That's very interesting, Keith. My fuel gauge reads 3/4 when full, and the temp gauge always reads 160, tho the thermostat is 180. I just never gave it a lot of thought.

Thanks for the link!
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

I have never heard of such a thing as this part being adjustable, :lol: Now I looked on back of several panels & that little regulator has 2 prongs with nothing in between to adjust, now remember :roll: that post was on 67-72 truck site & that takes different regulators in which somebody should have known that... But anyway I looked at the 67-72 panels also & they have 1 gauge set up takes one that looks like the 61-66 & another has a total different that was with the printed circuit & most of those post's are from 70-72 trucks,,, My gauges were messed up on Big Slick, put new instrumental voltage regulator on with used sending units & works perfect I also have 2 tanks that both take stock units & are as accurate as you can get ,, Temp gauge I don't use since I run S-W Mechanical Gauge on that truck Check to be sure that gauge does work, sending unit works, ground wire hooked up on tank and also the wire from gauge has no breaks , My truck also charges 2 batteries @ 14.5 volts since we run also voltage gauge to keep that in line,,,, If its adjustable somebody send me a picture so I can see on a stock 61-66 regulator for fuel... Always looking for new info as long as it's correct 8)
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Well, Tom, I just pulled an old gauge set out of the pile, it's out of a 64, and has the adjuster on it. The original one from my CV project also is adjustable. Couldn't get my head far enough under the dash of my 62 to check. I don't have a pic, but if you gimme your mailing address, I'll send you one.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

here is the part #'s for these little critter & :arrow: let you decide :D whats right or wrong for your truck
B9MZ-10804-C Fits 57-60 Trucks & 61-66 F-100-1100 Body Styles, 66 is uni-body truck, 81 F-series trucks, 85 is open driveaway truck with windshield & 67-69 F-800-1100 and T-1000/1100 and N-Series Trucks
C6DZ-10804-A 67-69
C9AZ-10804-A 1970 Only
D1AZ-10804-A 71-79
Hope this is some help to everbody in slick land :D
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Hey Mike I took one apart & there is some threaded adjustment that works something on the backside inside that part I do not really see a lot of movement but I do see the rod that moves the coil wire in & out so there can be some adjustment for whatever reasons there is if in fact does do the voltage reducing,,, this part had no wax around it so I was able to see some threads
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Something like this?

Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

GUAGE

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:there is also an instrument panel voltage regulator on the back of the panel.i do not know if the amount of voltage differs by year.if it is bad your gauges will not work correctly.

I INSTALLED AUTO-METER GUAGES IN MY 66 THE NEEDLES WENT BACK AND FORTH LIKE WINDSHIELD WIPERS. I LEFT THE REGULATOR HOOKED TO THE WIRES BUT REMOVED THE SCREW THAT GROUNDED (AND ALSO HELD IT IN PLACE) NOW ALL THE GUAGES WORK FINE.

LONNIE
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
66camperspecial

Since these drop the voltage to the gauges could they be used to drop the voltage to 6 volt gauges when converting to 12 volts. Jeff
Comet

Post by Comet »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:I have never heard of such a thing as this part being adjustable, :lol: Now I looked on back of several panels & that little regulator has 2 prongs with nothing in between to adjust, now remember :roll: that post was on 67-72 truck site & that takes different regulators in which somebody should have known that...

Yes, and did you read the original post?
66camperspecial wrote: ...I replaced the regulator with one from a 69 I parted... Jeff

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:...66 is uni-body truck...

Huh?
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Hi Mike, That is not the correct one for 61-66 trucks, that unit is off a 71-72 truck in which that truck had the printed circuit board with some kind of rounded terminals, looks similiar when you take it apart,, the 61-66 has 2 prongs and is similiar to like the heater parts on the later trucks with that brown hard board... Now since last post I have looked on our repair books for trucks by Motors & does not say anything about messing with this regulator, BUT It says something about checking the Radio Condensor :?: Do not know what that means but it was in our Truck Repair book that we used in the 60's on these trucks,, If this was done it was done by the Ford Mechanics that maybe went to a refresher course or got a memo :? Back then things were less complicated & easier to figure out
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

since somebody just wrote this 66 is uni-body ??? that is the Body Style that ford went by like this, if you need a part from Ford & lot trucks used the part with the same number then it will give all the styles that this part will fit
uni-body is style 66
fleetside is style 99
stepside is style 83
flatbed with racks is style 86
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Comet

Post by Comet »

Ahhh, gotcha.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
66camperspecial

With the 69 regulator my gas gauge goes all the way to full now but the temp gauge reads about 20 degrees too hot and now I the oil pressure at idle is 30 and 80 going down the road but I can live with that untill I find the correct regulator,now I have to remember when the gas gauge is on E its empty not like before when it was about a half tank. Jeff
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Sorry about highjacking this thread...
I also have a problem with my gauges...I have a 64 with the big truck gauge cluster. Everytime I turn the key on, my oil pressure gauge slowly goes to the max, but all my other gauges read properly. I thought it was a ground issue, but I can't find it. Any other suggestions?
Doug
Riverside, CA
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

To the First :?: You must use the correct voltage reulator for 61-66 Try that instead of the 69 & see what happens,, Hi Doug could be a ground issue check the wire from the gauge to the sending unit to see if any breaks or bare spots, Then also make sure the sending unit is for gauges & not the idiot light since there is a difference on those units
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS