5 speed swap or over drive???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rooster91
United States of America

5 speed swap or over drive???

Post by rooster91 »

i have a 300 6 cyl 29inch tall tires 3.50 gear and a t18 so running down the high way at 65mph i sit at about 2600rpm which is far from desirable. so the way i see it i have two options either i go with a torque splitter overdrive or a m5od. so ill start off with what i know about my options.

torque splitter will give me a .73 overdrive but moves my transmission 7 inches back i can use stock clutch stock speedometer cable but have to modify my transmission mount and cut my dog house cover but is $1400

m5od i cant get down a definite gear raito of the transmission 5th gear seems to be anywhere from .8 to .68. not sure what clutch and fly wheel go with it i know the flywheel gear from the later years have less teeth than the earlier ones. then there is clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder that need to be installed plus transmission cover and drive shaft. but i can buy a used transmission for $300

does anyone have any info on a m5od swap? and what years i can find the higher 5th gear? will my original flywheel work? stock clutch or will i have to run with the one that would have been with the 5 speed?
If it wears make up or has wheels and a motor i want to play with it!
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: 5 speed swap or over drive???

Post by bobenhotep »

I know at least one of us on here has put a t5 behind a 300. You get a 5 speed without the problems of the m5od.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

do you need the creeper first gear? I installed a mid-80's 4spd OD unit. The only modes were moving the hole location in the floor slightly and adjusting the driveshaft length. This gives you the .7:1 OD gear, but you lose the creeper first gear.
F164

Post by F164 »

How much highway driving are you doing?

Is a taller tire or higher gear an option?

I once had a 65 CJ5 with 5.38s. I just learned not to be in a hurry!
rooster91
United States of America

Post by rooster91 »

No I don't need the creeper first. What transmission did you swap in?

Taller tires are a option but to equal a over drive I would have to get some where in the mid 30s (32-35) so that is out. I do a lot of highway driving 20 miles to work every day and towns in Kansas are few and far between so I'm on the interstate where the speed limit is 75mph
yellodog
United States of America

Post by yellodog »

m5od doesn't have a creeper gear, even with 3.50's you'll use 1st to get going. find a donor and get everything you need. the hydraulic setup is an easy install, it'll work with your existing pedal. find a '90 or newer trans, the 5/R syncro teeth are heavier and don't cause trouble like the earlier ones. even with the .80 OD, you're looking at a 2.80 final ratio.
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I also did what bruce said , I installed a 84 f100 4 speed overdrive trans that most people say is garbage but it works fine for me , it's behind a 391 ft and bolts in and I have a 3.25 rear. I don't know what rpm it's turning but I get about 20 mpg on the highway, not so much local. I put one in my new project behind a 302 but didn't drive that one yet. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Been absent for a few days. I used the 4sd od they put behind the 300s in the mid 80s. It's not the rare RUG. I liked it enough to buy a spare. I think I paid around 150 for each of them.
rooster91
United States of America

Post by rooster91 »

well i pulled the trigger on a m5odr2 a few days ago and it just showed up on my front door today! think i will do a write up once i get it all figured out
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

nice.. these are the things I am looking for.. info, info, info... please do the write up Tom.. I will be waiting on it.. :)
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

rooster91 wrote:well i pulled the trigger on a m5odr2 a few days ago and it just showed up on my front door today! think i will do a write up once i get it all figured out

Just getting back after being away for some time and saw your post. You are probably already done with you swap but we did the m5r2 on a 302 swap and it has worked quite well. You can find the link to the entire work in my signature
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

I'm considering a t-5 swap. My Slick has a 3 speed OD but the OD isn't currently working. May try and see if I can figure it out before buying the adapter plate/bell housing to use the t-5. I've had the t-5 sitting in my shop for several years so will have to be gone thru before I spend the money on converting.