??? New bumpers.. Best prices ????

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

All 'new' bumpers are repro and are not an exact match. Provided quality is not more important than price, they are ok.
Best price I think was LMC truck.
The only way to get correct, show quality bumpers is to rechrome originals.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
bertha66

Post by bertha66 »

On the repro bumpers from the differant companies, they have differant pricies but watch out for the shipping cost. You may pay less for the bumper but alot more for the shipping.
Allen D
1966 F-100 4x4 390hipro
1964 Galaxie 428 ci
1967 F-100
1968 F-350 crew truck
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Get a reciever hitch for the sailboat. Places will look at you funny for a 65 -- just ask for a 69 which is the same. A reciever hitch looks and functions vastly better then a bumper hitch.

LMC prices on chrome bumpers are $169.99, so less than 5 bills for a pair. However, the rear bumper requires brackets that are NOT reproduced, to the bast of my knowledge. These fetch $50 or more for a pair on ebay or from our friendly sellers.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I believe these are repop brackets required
http://blueovaltruckparts.com/catalog/p ... ts_id=6615

one of our members was gonna order a set but I don't remember if they ever said if they worked.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
killercoating

Post by killercoating »

I am going to go the rechrome route with mine... that was I can weld the bolts on, grind off the heads and rechome it as a smooth bumper... no one seem to offer one that I have found.
1966 F100 CC LWB (The soon Air Ride Truck)
1969 Merc. Cougar Eliminator (The Muscle Car)
2003 883 Sportster Chopper (Hand Fabricated)
2004 TOTALED Mitsu Lancer Ralliart (Import Tuner)
NEW TOY - 1936 Dodge Coupe (HotRod)
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

completely off topic, but what sort of sailboat do you have there doc?

I took mine out a few days ago, took a quick pic. Mines just a little 'un though.

cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Johnny Canuck wrote:I believe these are repop brackets required
http://blueovaltruckparts.com/catalog/p ... ts_id=6615

one of our members was gonna order a set but I don't remember if they ever said if they worked.

They sure look right. No, no cutting -- those will allow bolt up of the 65-72 rear bumper from LMC. Nasty price though......

The 65-72 front bumper that comes from LMC (and others as well) is also a bolt up, but hangs over a little more on the ends than correct original. Not a lot.

If I ever bump into a good original front bumper I'll buy it and have it rechomed, but its a low priority currently. I dare say that most folks cannot even see the difference -- look at my pics as example.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Look at my album or the Slick Stock photos to see the cheap repops on my 66. I bought mine from what used to be Obsolete Ford for $99 for the front and $139 for the rear. If you have any large shows or swap meets nearby, look for them there to save shipping. I bought mine at the Supernats and they were sold out so they shipped them to me for free if I bought that day.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
f100matt

Post by f100matt »

Where is the best place to find repo parts for a 66'. Most of the catolouges i hav order have very little in them for 66's.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I have found MAC`s antique auto parts to be quite good,I also have delt with Johns fun hundreds (had some trouble with them but that has all been resolved now).The biggest problem I have is limiting what I order, so try and control yourself and have fun.

Alan
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Doc Pepper wrote:Just how much worse is one of those utility bumpers than going the more expensive route?

Well, I suppose it depends on how well the bumper is attached and just how much tongue weight you are talking. My Dad pulled 4 wheel trailers with my 65 and the utility bumper never got bent down. But had there been some significant weight on the bumper it sure could have happened.

Because the utility bumpers are attached in a much less robust manner, they just cannot handle the same weight, though they may be able to pull just fine.

I have not attached one to a 65 -- I seem to recall that you can buy one for 67-72 and it will usually work fine. Later ones (73 and up) require some rigging. I have not read that you need to cut the rear valence (like, I don't think my truck has a rear valence, just the bed)

I agree with you -- your total cost is going to be less with a basic step bumper. Looks like about $225 for the bumper plus another $35 for mounts from Advance....

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

f100matt wrote:Where is the best place to find repo parts for a 66'. Most of the catolouges i hav order have very little in them for 66's.

You need some new catalogs. :D
For catalogs, I'd get Carolina Classics, Dennis Carpenter and LMC Truck. I would also make it a point to get one from our member friend Flashback F100's as it contains useful tech info along with another parts source. LMC's catalog is probably the most helpful because of the illustrations, but I like them the least of all mentioned as they are sort of the K-Mart of suppliers. Most of the others sell parts manufactured by Carpenter at same or similar prices. Tom @ Flashback and Rick @ Carolina are Slick owners and enthusiasts and helpful people who do more than just take your order. Give them your business. :)
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Couple years ago the City was junking out a 87 Chevy 1/2 ton. I got the utility step bumper off it(just right price-free). It went on my pickup with a spacer on each side to make up for the frame width, no problem.
Fred
dforquer

Post by dforquer »

New to the forums...

I have a '61 F100, I got a rear bumper from LMC; how does this thing fit onto the frame? I can post pictures of what I have now. It doesn't seem to look right. What am I missing?
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Sounds like you don't have the correct brackets for the bumper you purchased.
Gene
1961 Intregal cab SWB 223 (getting 302 & TIB)
1969 LWB 302 automatic (Donor for the '61)
2000 F150 XLT SWB (Daily Driver)