Front end in a big ol truck?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

63f250uni

Front end in a big ol truck?

Post by 63f250uni »

I'm thinking of putting a new front end in my 63 f250 unibody so I can improve the steering and lower it a bit and I've looked at those MII kits, but they seem awful light for my monster truck.

Any suggestions?
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:welcome: .
I think I would be worried to with a M11 kit in a F250 especially if your going to load it up,I believe if you put a shorter pitman arm in it will lighten the steering a fare bit,to lower it is there room to put the axle on top of the springs.Custom@ classic trucks did a artical on it sometime back
but good luck with what ever way you go .Alan
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Mustang 2 = bad news in our trucks, and would be very scary on a 3/4 ton. Look into the Dakota setup 2 of our more prominent members build.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
63f250uni

Post by 63f250uni »

I did some research on the Dakota and gettin opinions from lots of people. I also have been talking to Steve about it...just wanted some more feedback so I can make a good decision. I'm not going to use her anymore for pullin loads...she's retired from that...just gonna take her from the frame up, add a new front add, rear end, I'm having the y-block rebuilt including the heads ported by Mummert, etc....so she's retired now and is going to be used to take my arse to local car shows....I've stripped her down completely and now she's just a body and frame waiting for me to find a way to take the whole thing apart so I can take the frame in and get it media blasted....anyway, enough blabbin....

Since Steve/Garbz don't make that kit anymore, just the crossmember....how hard is it to find Dakota parts like the control arms, r&p steering, etc.? I guess I'll be in the junkyards crawlin around in the dirt, eh? That's cool, I just need to know how to tell a '92 Dakota from a 97 Dakota. :lol:
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Garbz was telling me he was just out a couple weeks ago scrounging up his own stuff for his own truck and got it at a good price. Place like vegas or NM or Az would be the best place to find that sort of nice dry parts too.
the Difference between years? ask them. I sure couldn't tell you.

To give you alternatives.. I have an Aerostar on my truck, gives you close to stock ride height. Newer crown vics after..99? I think have an nice aluminum cross member/suspension that all bolts out and on in one pice, looks like a gem to me, but hard to find. Volare clips have been used but I had one on a truck and it was too mushy of a ride for me. Other guys have used the whole subframe section off the front of a camaro and one or two guys in the club have actually put a twin I on an ex-straight axle truck. So depends how hard you want to work at it. If I was doing another one, i'd be searching for the crown vic myself.
[albumimg]1681[/albumimg]
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
63f250uni

Post by 63f250uni »

Thanks for the great info....

So the crown vic is sturdy enough to deal with the force of my F250 screeching to a halt because a kid jumped in front of me?....if so, it might be a good alternative that's a Ford product....and you say it would bolt right in to my 63 Ford? :shock:

I've also heard of the Aerostar, too...don't know much about it, tho....

I'm not going to be doing the work because I just don't have those kind of skills, so that's not part of the equation....

I plan to go to the junkyard soon to scope out whether I can get some of the pieces I'll need....I called up one junkyard in Vegas and they have something like 6 Dakotas between '87 and '95 so I'm hoping at least one of them wasn't in a head on collision....I assume all of the arms, etc, from those will fit the IC crossmember....Garbz?? :D
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

I have the complete setup in six lug four cyl. I need to just switch out the rotors to five lug.

86 tp 96 is what you need. Prefer a four cylender truck for the springs over a V8 or V6 truck.

Garbz
63f250uni

Post by 63f250uni »

Is it easy to pull the front end off of a Dakota? Any hints/suggestions would be appreciated....

What rotors do you think you're going to go with?
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

63f250uni wrote:Is it easy to pull the front end off of a Dakota? Any hints/suggestions would be appreciated....

What rotors do you think you're going to go with?

sure this is the way I did it. SAW's all and about 10 minutes.

I am going with the late 80's models rotor that way I can have the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. The later 90's had the 6 lugs but you can swap the rotor onto any year model parts which is a good thing. Also take a look at my web site it has most of my progress so far.

http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/truck/dakota/mainframefile.html
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
63f250uni

Post by 63f250uni »

Nice!!! :D

That sure beats unbolting everything in the 120 F sun here in Vegas.

Man, you're doing a great job. I wish I knew how to do that...I'm going to have to pay someone to do it for me. :cry:

I noticed in your pictures that you removed the rear motor mount cross-member. Why did you have to do that?

Also, are some years 87-91 vs. 92-96 better/worse than others? Did you also pull the rack and pinion?

Thanks to all for the info....this site rules....I've been fumbling around with my truck for the last 7 years and I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. 8)
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

In your case using the 292 the crossmember can remain?. PFM is doing a 385 Lima engine so it has to go for new mounts on the engine and transmission.

They all basically use the same parts. rotors changed from five to six lug. the five lug rotors fit the six lug spindles.

Get a complete front assembly including a rack. you may need ot trade it for a manual rack unless you add PS to the 292.

Garbz
JFCDeuce

Front End

Post by JFCDeuce »

I'm probably going to be doing the Aerostar conversion on my '62 f100, I can let you know how it goes, and as I'm also in Vegas, you can take it for a spin an see... Of course this is dependant on my getting around to it. Right now I'm not looking forward to pulling a 200+lb front end in this humid Vegas summer. ( I did pull a few parts this weekend, and damn was it hot, Sheet metal was burning me through my jeans....)

Let me know how your progress is going, I'll do the same.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The sawzall works on an Aerostar too. I got mine form the wreckers just like the above sawzall special. The Aersostar frame is boxed sheetmetal. Would cut like buddah.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

The aluminum Crn Vic crossmember starts about 1/2 way through 03 on up til new.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
63f250uni

Post by 63f250uni »

Deuce...

Which yard did you go to?

I called up LV Truck Salvage and they said they had about 7 86-96 Dakotas.

I used to use NV Pick-a-part, but their selection is pretty sparse.

I pulled my steering column/box this morning and it wasn't TOO bad...of course, I was in the shade under my carport cover, not in a dirt lot with the sun beating down on my head.... :lol:
Unibodyguy1

Front end in a big ol truck.

Post by Unibodyguy1 »

Brett if I happen to run accross a Dakota front end I'll let you know ASAP. There are not any currently up at the North Town Pick-A-Part on Lamb and Cheyenne, was out there on Friday. They do along with Henderson Pick-A-Part sometimes have some and FYI their prices on truck parts are why cheaper than the other one you mentioned. Like I said I'll let you know if I run accross one. I now know of 4 Slicksters in the Vegas area, sorry Deuce I forgot about you!

Michael
63f250uni

Post by 63f250uni »

Thanks Michael, I appreciate it...

I've never been to the one on Losee and Lake Mead, so it will be a new one for me.

Have you been to that one way out on the end of Vegas Valley in E. Vegas? Some old pickups, but not much for our years...

There are three guys in BC that have slicks. A 61 uni lives one street away, a '65 or '66 is about two blocks away and another one I see from time to time in town, but I'm not sure where he lives.
1963 F250 Unibody
Unibodyguy1

Front end in a big ol truck.

Post by Unibodyguy1 »

Brett, the Truck Pick-A-Part out on Vegas Valley closed up about 3 years ago. They basicly moved everything up on Lamb by the North Las Vegas Pick-A-Part. I used to have a good time at the old one on Vegas Valley, knew people out there pretty well. There are I know of, 5 or 6 Uni's in B.C. and I don't know how many other Slicks, at least that many or more that I know of. Theres 2 on the same street between Wyoming and New Mexico. One is a Shortbed Uni 6 cyl. 3 sd. with a 64 or so front end/grill on it. Being I used to live in your neck of the woods, I used to look a lot when I drove around. Pretty interesting theres still thay many around in basicly a small town. Oh course the climate helps a heck of a lot.

Michael
JFCDeuce

Post by JFCDeuce »

63f250uni wrote:Deuce...

Which yard did you go to?

I called up LV Truck Salvage and they said they had about 7 86-96 Dakotas.

I used to use NV Pick-a-part, but their selection is pretty sparse.

I pulled my steering column/box this morning and it wasn't TOO bad...of course, I was in the shade under my carport cover, not in a dirt lot with the sun beating down on my head.... :lol:

I tend to avoid the LV Truck salvage, as they are a bit steep, and really don't get a lot of trucks in. I do like the Pic A Part on Lamb, however you have to keep checking in, stuff really dosen't sit there too long. (I've seen probably 6-7 Slicks in and out over my visits in the past year or two.

I have had some great luck up at a place by the speedway, Just south of there on Hollywood (I think it's called Vegas Valley Auto) although it's really rough and you have to doo a lot os searching for things.(anyone want a '63 F-850 Dump truck! sorry I took h the hood scoop.) Just south of there too are a lot of storage parcels, some people are there and willing to part stuff out... I just got a front roll pan of a '62 F350 Wercker
(the rest od that truck is there and in really good shape too. Grill core support etc.)

I just keep an eye out.

Main Gate Auto be hind the pick a part canbe good too, he's usually got one or 2 slick era trucks (I think it used to be called Berts')
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

[quote]I wish I knew how to do that...I'm going to have to pay someone to do it for me.

If you are going to pay someone to do this conversion, I recommend the Dakota kit. Steve has already engineered the conversion so you don't have to pay the installer to engineer it at his hourly rate.
If you were a good fabricator, I would recommend the Aerostar or the Jaguar IFS. Very easy installs if you are capable.
Here is my standard answer.... GO to Ford Truck Enthusiasts webpage and read the 11 tech articles they have for front suspensions in the 48-60 forum. Those trucks have the same frame width as our beloved Slicks so all the info would correspond to your truck. Well worth the time spent reading all your options. www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/10/0
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!