Here is a story of the formation of the Slick 60's club.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

foodstick

Re: Here is a story of the formation of the Slick 60's club.

Post by foodstick »

Ha ha, on that other thread I posted to you I tried to find a pic of scooterboy to attach ! I still have a BUNCH of those funny photoshops (somewhere) we would do at night.
NUMA NEWBERN

Post by NUMA NEWBERN »

WELL been a member for a few years and WONDERED WHERE/HOW slick 60's came from, I thought it was a Ford motor company slang, GREAT to read about HOW it got started, you guys have helped connect allot of folks to help each other with parts, good ideas etc.
Shoveldog

Post by Shoveldog »

I'm not sure when I first heard the term “slick” for these trucks, but it’s been a while. My grandfather bought the holly green ’63 F100 step as a leftover in 1964. He also bought my grandmother a ’64 Fairlane 500 wagon later that same year, replacing a ’55 Plymouth Savoy. As a kid, we spent many summer weeks over the years with my grandparents in Maine. Around 1966 or 67, while back country with my grandpa, he let me take the wheel, making my slick the 1st vehicle I actually drove. When he passed away in late 1976, my grandmother asked if I wanted the truck, the rest is history. Always reliable, she's done a fair amount of cross country & daily driving over the years, tho while in the rust belt, no winters. In the fall of 1980 after we got married, she drove us 1st to Florida, then on to Houston where we lived for 5 years. Retired from daily chores around 1983, she still hauled when needed. Around 1997, I put her up in a friend’s barn for a few years, the kingpins were shot and I had bought an old Packard to fool around with. In 2000 we bought another house, gained some additional garage space and it was time to bring her home. I fixed the king pins & put on antique plates. She does a little weekend driving & a couple of weekly cruise nites now. She’s family.
Mike
'63 F100
'08 Ranger
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Very nice Story Lance. I think a lot of things in life are kinda like this. Someone just throws something out there and it sticks.... :wink:
Gene
1961 Intregal cab SWB 223 (getting 302 & TIB)
1969 LWB 302 automatic (Donor for the '61)
2000 F150 XLT SWB (Daily Driver)
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

Really enjoyed the story Foodstick. So much so I think I'll stick around and see if I can learn a few things and maybe even teach a few. Currently own 2 66's. An F250 and an F100 (Mercury clone). Looking forward to sharing them with like minded individuals.
1965 stepside

Post by 1965 stepside »

great story. love the site and how helpful everyone is. I have learned a lot from the guys here
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Awesome story. I'm a relative newcomer as I found out about the site from TR. Have had nothing but good info and encouragement from guys here on the board. Definitely a large family feel. Favorite site on the interweb. Hope I get the opportunity to make it to SS 2016.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

foodstick wrote:I am afraid they are gone, we were definitely better at old trucks than computer stuff.. I sure wish sometimes we had payed someone to save everything we had, there was SO MUCH....
Just read your story. I remember the Excite site. Thought it was a weird name for talking about trucks. I didn't join any web site officially until this one. Glad your keeping the language clean.
Thanks for the space.......
Chris
Revnate64

Post by Revnate64 »

That was a trip down memory lane! Here I am on a 9 year old thread and I don't even have a Slick anymore :D
I actually just sold most of my leftover parts and it got me to thinking about this site. I had to pop in and see if it was still around. Y'all keep up the good work! I still love a Slick and hope to have another one some day.
I regularly drive by a 63 big window Uni (with a tailgate!) that has been sitting out in a field for over 15 years. The guy who owns it won't sell it. But maybe some day!
From the days before we called them "Slick 60's". There was just an Excite site and a dozen guys with too much time on our hands.
Moose
United States of America

Post by Moose »

You mean I've actually been part of all of this for almost 22 years?
American born, German blood, Texan attitude..... And people wonder why they call me "Moose."

66 F-100 Too much to list
05 F250 The Tank