ride hieght

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jeramy

ride hieght

Post by jeramy »

thinking about yankin 2 leafs outta the rear packs this weekend to bring it closer to level. whatcha think?
1963 f-100 short flareside
2003 mustang
2007 harley davidson sportster custom
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I think you better say a few OOooooooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeummmmms in Uncle Skips direction and get the blessing of 'He of the Saffron Robe of the Flareside tribe'.

It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Jeramy how many leafs are on yours?

If you have something like a 9 pack I would think a couple less should be ok

If you had something like 5 or so I would not remove any
mrcando_66F100

Post by mrcando_66F100 »

Keep it safe and do what you like.... as for me...I wouldn't...
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Mine had 11,I took them to the local sring works and they removed 2 non stock looking leafs,cleaned and re-arched,greased ,painted and repacked them for $150 now they ride like a charm.Alan
cal

Post by cal »

How many leafs is stock on a slick? My '62 has I think 11, and then a 3/4" spacer and 7 more as an overload setup. Its also got a 2" block (I'm assuming as part of the 4x4 setup). I plan to have new leafs made this winter that are a little wider, removing the block and probably the overload leafs.
Cal
jeramy

Post by jeramy »

its got 6 counting the overloads.was considering pulling 2nd down from top and 4th from top.might just go with the middle one only
2003 mustang
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Might want to look at a 66 F100 if you get a chance. The reason I say this is the 66 I have had 4 arched and the overload on it.

I went with a 9 leaf pack from a 63 then removed the bottom 4 leafs and added the overload to it.
Not looking to lower mine just tighten up the load capacity a bit.

What I noticed when doing this was the 63 springs seemed to have a tighter arch radius than the 66
But I should add that by the looks of my trucks bed it led a life of hard labor and the springs might have sagged out some.

Guess what I'm saying is the 66 springs might have less arc in them. If so you could go with a set of them and not take a chance with to long of a span between leafs.

I would think this should not be a problem in your case but don't forget to check the drive shaft angle and length when changing the ride height on a vehicle.

Good luck with it
jeramy

Post by jeramy »

i hear ya. my dads 66 long wide seem to sit lower in the rear than mine but it is a long wide.i'm just lookin to get the truck more even and get ride of some of that open wheel well.Don't wanna go with larger tires because that will just make the rake worse.and i like the front right where it is.some body find Uncle skip.
2003 mustang
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Sometimes, in his quest for Slick Nirvana, Uncle Skip sips too much "Herbal Tea" and vanishes for several days. But as soon as he finds where he left his saffron robe, he reappears, like a big ol' Texas dust storm. So, y'all have to be patient! :wink:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
jeramy

Post by jeramy »

very well i shall await his return
2003 mustang
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

jeramy, I`m not completely up to speed on stepside slicks,but a few years back I did have a 51 F1 step side and to me the bed/back looks like it is mounted too high on the chassis its only a thought!. :)
Alan
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Alan Mclennan wrote:jeramy, I`m not completely up to speed on stepside slicks,but a few years back I did have a 51 F1 step side and to me the bed/back looks like it is mounted too high on the chassis its only a thought!. :)
Alan

On the effies (50's) trucks the stepside box sat lower. His is correct for the Slicks. The LWB Stepsides, sorry FLARESIDES have a taller rail (2") that actualy comes above the body line.

As for removing springs. If you plan to haul ANYTHING you will be severly overloading the springs if you remove some. I wouls have them re-arced to bring it down. It is not that much $100-$200 (if that much), and is the safe way.

:2cents:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
jeramy

Post by jeramy »

its a short flareside its not like it could hual that much to begin with
2003 mustang