Steering Related Info Needed

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FreeBird

Post by FreeBird »

I am in the process of TRYING to upgrade the steering on my new acquisition, which is a '66 F100 Custom Cab. Anyway, steering column is pretty well trashed for starters. So, got new upper/lower bearings from D. Carpenter, turn signal switch, etc. I am going to power steering, but want to keep the 3 on the tree for now, so got the column shortened as I've learned from y'all is necessary. Now it gets fun....While disassembling the column, everything purty much fell apart before I was able to reference what went where and in what order. So, I go"OK, I should be able to find a diagram of this mess somewhere online" and I did. Got the 3 speed shift levers and all together, which I thought would be the worst. But there's a few things that the diagram is not too clear on.

Question one: where does the lower bearing and bushing fit- on the outer end of the column tube or inside? Outer just don't look right to me. If it goes inside, will I have to disassemble the shift mechanism first?

Next issue....power steering conversion.The truck has had a 302 transplant and runs out great. Seems to be enough pwer for me, least for now. Here's what I got to work with in the steering department. Brackets, pump and hoses from '71-'73 era Mustang with a'71 F100 Ford PS box. Hoses will not mate up to box. It appears that fittings on Mustang hoses are larger than the connections on the box. I thought that if I could get hoses for a '71 truck with 302 I should be set, so went to Advance auto had them look it up, had no hose in stock of course but illustration on computer looked like a very short hose, and made me wonder if this hose was for the box with the trans cooler? This is the Ford box, and I didn't think they required a cooler. I have tried all sorts of brass adapter fittings and can't find any that will work. Am I going to have to get hoses made or is there something obvious that I am overlooking here?

I think this will work, and can be done. Any input/suggestions are appreciated. My apologies for the long post, but I am at my wits end. If I left out any needed info, let me know. Thanks in advance, y'all.....FREEBIRD
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Putting power steering on a 3 speed on the column is very tricky so you better have your ducks in the row,,, First you have to shorten the column in 2 places Besides that it has to be from the bottom to the opening 1 3/8 & make sure the place for the bottom bearing is still intact & from the top of column to the opening is 26 5/8 with a overall length of 28 3/4,, Remember that the outside tube is not only the part that has to be shortened, but the shaft inside & shift tube & also need the correct shift levers for 3 speed with power steering in which are different from non-power steering trucks.. NOW IF YOU HAVE NO PLACE FOR THE BOTTOM BEARING, STOP HERE, Because you have to have a place for the bottom bearing, Also you need the bracket under the master cylinder that says power steering stamped in it.... ALSO Make sure you have the correct adjuster at the bottom to take the slack up between the signal plate & steering wheel since there is a difference on them between non & power steering trucks, NOW for hoses just get a hose for any 71-77 Ford Truck with 302 & will work providing your motor is in the correct spot as it should be for 71-77 trucks,,, & trans cooler has nothing to do with the pressure hose since the cooler should be on the return side Personally I have seen to many screw ups doing this job since it has to be right since your life is on the line here... I have had so many people send us there colmun on all ways they have tried & I threw all them in the Junk pile and I have seen some posts on the web that where half right but the still missing something so be careful when doing this switch
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

I believe that there are some pictures that will help you a lot over at www.fordification.com

later...
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

There is some real nice info on steering columns on all the pictures but does not say how to do 3 speed on the column??? :?: ,, Years ago it was a must to shorten a column now you can take any automatic power steering 73-early 74 with the metal bearing at the bottom keep the outside tube put the 65-72 turn signalplate on it, if using the 61-70 wheel cut the top of the shaft where it has that stub & some threads off equal to your old shaft or 71-72 do not have to touch.. Save all that time of cutting & then not getting it right & just throw in the trash ,, Just got a column in the other day for a 69 truck, wanted me to see why they shorten it but no bearing bottom & would not shift,,, he was upset :cry: when I told that the column was trashed, no place for bottom bearing & tube was not cut right Called me 3 days later to tell me he bought a parts truck just to get the right steering column & said he learned not to take any short cuts when it comes to his or anybody lives... ALSO Make sure you get the right rag joint for the shaft, All rag joints fits the spline on the box, but on the column end they have different size pins 65/66 trucks have 1 small 1 large pin 67-up takes 2 large pins :arrow: Just remember those pins are a safety feature in case of your joint breaks those pins will catch the shaft & get you to the side of the road to then get help
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

FreeBird

Post by FreeBird »

Thanks y'all for the info. CD, I did find the diagram at Fordification but thanks for the heads up. As Tom says, shows all the parts for 3 on the column but not too clear on how it all fits together. I did manage to figure that out tho'.

Tom as usual come up with the "more than one way from A to B" scenario which may have been easier but I had already shortened the MS column. This was done in a safe way by shortening the column tube the required 2.5" and the shift tube a like amount. Both were then welded up with a "collar" round the outside of the tubes in a position so as not to interfer with the mechanisms inside, making them stronger even than before. Steering shaft was not cut, as I plan to use the shaft from an auto column that I had that came with the PS box I got, which is the correct length already. This was done by an excellent machinist/fabricator whom I have known for a good while and trust his work. Believe me, it's safe.

The column tube does have the lower bearing retainer intact even though the bearing itself fell out in pieces, which led to my confusion about where the bearing actually fits.

Back to my original post...It appears as if the lower bearing fits in the end of the tube, in the retainer from the bottom of the tube, correct? Should there be an outer retainer which holds the bearing between the 2 retainers? Seems there should be, otherwise the bearing is just kinda "floating"with nothing to keep it in place. This I am still wondering about, Tom if you could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Later, y'all.....FREEBIRD
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

The bearing fits in the bottom of the shaft where there should be a place for it, Not in the outside of the tube but there should a place for the steel bearing to fit in , I use a small ballpeen hammer with a piece of wood to tap it in, now if fits loosely just tap in where the bearing fits a little closer to tighten it up or you can take a center punch & make a idention in that part will tighten the bearing up also, sometimes put a little J-B Weld it in there enough to hold the bearing but not a lot since if the bearing ever fails you will have to get it out Basically its just enough to keep that bearing from spinning in there & tearing the columnn up,, Also I have seen sometimes where the bearing comes apart & leaves part of the old bearing in there so make sure that is gone before trying to force the new bearing in there,, Hope this helps you out,. :) Got to go & finish building this 66 Automatic Column for a customer Have fun :)
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

FreeBird

Post by FreeBird »

Thanks Tom-You got the picture exactly as it is and told me just what I needed to know. I'm gonna have fun, sounds like you are too :lol: Later--
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Your Welcome, I enjoy building columns when watching TV + phone don't ring as much as during the day
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS