My Slick got wrecked

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SCWIDVICIOUS

My Slick got wrecked

Post by SCWIDVICIOUS »

my 65 was wrecked friday night. not totalled though, just marred up.

I was driving down the road, and heard this extremely loud music blairing from a house, also a bunch of lights on over there. I glanced for a second, looked back at the road. Car was stopped waiting for the car ahead to turn. I hit my brakes hard, then I heard this pop. trucks brakes sort of let go. I hit the car in front of me, in turn pushing that car into the car ahead of them. I recon thats what a 4000 pound truck does when it hits a car. wasnt going all that fast, I had just went over a set of tracks.
Im not hurt, no one was hurt that night, but you know the next day...blah blah

I would have posted this earlier, but I am so discusted about this.
The truck....
It already needed a passenger fender on it. but now it needs a driver fender, grille, and a bumper. grill isnt hurt all that bad, but it will be replaced eventually.

now that popping noise......seems like it came from the back and it was making a scraping noise on the way home. Brakes still worked, but not as well. visually it looks fine. pulled the front driver side hub off too, and it looks like it might be on its way out. still need to look into the other wheels.

I didnt have the heart to walk in the shop today, she looks so sad.

I have uploaded some pics into my gallery here.
Rick
1965 F100, 352, Cruise-0-Matic
Comet

Post by Comet »

Glad you're ok, but that's a real bummer. I know the feeling of disgusted in your self. Been there. Sounds like she might be fixable, though.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Awww I feel ya, hurt my one baby the 92 goin around a turn too fast awhile back. New bumper was all that was needed, but still she just looked so pissed at me with the bent down front end.

Heck just on sunday I was ridin with dad in the '97 readin the paper and happened to look up right at the moment to see a stopped turning left jeep and dad looking to the left and not slowing down. I was able to get his attention by yelling "oh &&&&" and he went through the grass off to the right just in time.

Lesson to everyone that we can sometimes get overconfidant and with these big trucks can really hurt someone not payin attention.

Adrianspeeder
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

I feel for you.
I had a 89 F150 XLT Lariat extended cab 8ft box ,lowered,custom paint custom stereo, 5speed, HO roller 302 ,ford racing computer and mass air conversion. 8) :D
Drove her everywere Year round :D :D :D
Finally sold her to a buddy
No time to fix wanted to work on the slick :D :D :D
He sold it to a pal who fell in love with it :D :D :D :D 8)
Buddy phoned me to inform me that She is no more :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Seems new owner rear ended a parked truck and wrapped the rad around the motor and pushed the motor into the firewall :cry: :cry: :cry:
Don't quite know why he had to tell me though :x :evil: :twisted: :cry: :cry:
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Disk brakes guys, disk brakes, disk brakes, disk brakes.
Its an easy mod and cheap considering you will ruin someone's rice burner one of these days if you don't.
Your trucks probably have the original brake fluid in them and its the kind that absorbs moisture. Your ole rubber lines have swollen shut and the steel ones rust from the inside out.
Replace them, do the disk brake changeover, and drive in peace. They are cheaper than body work and paint.
Time for my Zen now..... ooooommmmm.... oooooommmmmm.. oh-mo-pad-me-hummmmmmm..........
;)
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Jonas
United States of America

Post by Jonas »

Rick do you know Bit Little he is in Welcome. Probally has the parts you need. If you have trouble finding them let me know. I have some pretty good contacts down here around Charlotte and Monroe.
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

Wow! Sorry to hear about your truck :( Makes me reconsider the brakes on my truck! It was a real suprise how hard you have to push on the brakes since everything else I have has power brakes.

Marty
SCWIDVICIOUS

Post by SCWIDVICIOUS »

To my dear Uncle skip :wink: , I know your right my man. front disk for sure will be installed very soon. rears...possibly. as far as it having the orig brake fluid, in the shop records I have for it (from 1991 - 2005) its had its brakes, fluid, and wheel cylenders serviced many times.......however the evidince tells me something gave up unfortunately causing some custom crinkle on one silver dodge something (little car), and the green honda accord(even smaller) in front of them.

6stang5, yup agreed..lol i seems to chirp to a stop the first time I hit any of my power brake vehicles after driving the slick for a while.

jonas, will send you a PM. yea garbz told me about bit little a while back, wayy before this ever happened.

adrian, castruck, its a very sickening feeling to say the least. especially when you have already started getting quotes for things like paint..lol might not have reached that part of the project this winter, but I was/am gona try.

Comet, you bet she wil be fixed! cant have my slick not looking slick. so it appears my restoration work has began just a few months ahead of time..lol
Yours might have more rust, but how do they compare on dents?
Rick
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

[albumimg]560[/albumimg]

no discs on the 4x4. bumper reflects this.
sorry to hear about your misfortune.never a good day when these things happen
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

Maybe this is a good thing? I had a vw bug once that a wreck turned into redo of the interior because I had to repaint it, that turned into new wheels because the old ones looked shabby with the new paint.

Yea think of this as an chance to upgrade :wink: :wink:

Just trying to see the bright side, if there is one!

Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
65 Karmen Ghia (Son's Car)
Iron Horse Bicycle, trying to save some gas money!
SCWIDVICIOUS

Post by SCWIDVICIOUS »

lol....thats one way of looking at it, but I was gona start tearing into it this winter anyway. now I have to replace the whole frontend instead of just 1 fender.

HOWEVER...lol (this part agrees;))

this did have an amazing effect on the "i need disk brakes" argument. She says, Why do you need those??? now I have the answer setting in my shop. and 3 years worth of insurance hell
Rick
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

SCWIDVICIOUS wrote: this did have an amazing effect on the "i need disk brakes" argument. She says, Why do you need those??? now I have the answer setting in my shop. and 3 years worth of insurance hell

What wife could argue with that, well other than mine. :lol:
shakespearesdad

Post by shakespearesdad »

[Disk brakes guys, disk brakes, disk brakes, disk brakes.
Its an easy mod and cheap considering you will ruin someone's rice burner one of these days if you don't.

U@ss[/quote]
I did the conversion on my '65 about two years ago and was pleased with the results. About 5 days ago I was cruising down the freeway and looked up to find a sea of brakelights. My truck stopped fast and straight and the Dodge Neon behind me folded his hood up when he hit my big-ass safety bumper. I will probably have to buy a can of grey paint to fix the scratches, or maybe not :lol: