Killed my engine last night...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Killed my engine last night...

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Well the weather has pretty much washed all the salt away so I figured I'd move the slick from the inlaws to my garage. It's about 70 miles. Well 40 miles in my engine started making a rattling noise...let off the gas, kept rattling, Then BAM CLUNK the old 300 seized up and dumped all it's oil :cussing:
Luckily I had my buddy following me, so I coasted to an exit and we waited for a tow.
It looks like either the filter wasn't on tight or it got blown off enough to dump oil. It's a Fram.
Also things that probably didnt help...
My speedometer is definitely wayyyyyy off. I was cranking out about 3k rpm at "55"
My buddy tells me I was actually doing more like 70ish. I was wondering why he couldn't keep up :oops:

Anyway now it's at the garage and I'm waiting to hear if it's cooked beyond saving, or if it's salvageable praying.gif

I guess if it's done that'd be a good excuse to put a V8 in there :burp:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
foodstick

Re: Killed my engine last night...

Post by foodstick »

That is a bummer!
truckster

Post by truckster »

ThinLizzy13 wrote:I guess if it's done that'd be a good excuse to put a V8 in there :burp:

I love the positive outlook!
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Rebuild the six!!!

Just my opinion. V8's are prettyy dang fun to drive, too.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Oregoon wrote:Rebuild the six!!!

Just my opinion. V8's are prettyy dang fun to drive, too.

Yes they are, I miss my old 352. Unfortunately mechanic says the engine is totally shot and it'd be cheaper for a new engine than a rebuild :(
So now I'm on the search for a new 240/300!
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Well that stinks.. :(
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Think FE............. Aren't the engine perches the same?
Chris
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

chris401 wrote:Think FE............. Aren't the engine perches the same?

Or.... maybe 'Dare to be Different' and go for a 400 V8... :shock: 8)

The 351M-400 (M-series (335) engine) has motormounts and bellhousing pattern like a 460, easy enough to locate.

BarnieTrk
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

chris401 wrote:Think FE............. Aren't the engine perches the same?

I've already got a 390 in my '74, and while I love the FE I can never keep the tank full :roll:

BarnieTrk wrote:Or.... maybe 'Dare to be Different' and go for a 400 V8... :shock: 8)

The 351M-400 (M-series (335) engine) has motormounts and bellhousing pattern like a 460, easy enough to locate.

BarnieTrk

An interesting idea...maybe something to keep on the backburner for a future project :burp:

I'm gunna stick with a I6 just cause of convenience/cost really. Everything is already set up for one so all I gotta do is get one and it'll drop right in. I've got a couple leads on some running 6's right around here, so hopefully I'll have one back in it soon enough!
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

A 302 or 351W will bolt to the 300 bell, and the motor mounts relocate back to the other holes already in the frame. Easy swap.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

R Pope wrote:A 302 or 351W will bolt to the 300 bell, and the motor mounts relocate back to the other holes already in the frame. Easy swap.

So for a 302 or 351W all I would have to do is move the perches and the engine will bolt right up to my bell housing and T18? That is awesome! :cheers:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Glad to hear you're keeping a six in there! Nothing against V8s, just love the sound a six makes.

What caused yours to let go, and what went wrong?
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

I am quite sure the 302 perches are different than the 300...

I think the 300 and FE perches are the same but use different holes, while the FE and small block use same hole but different perches.

Oh.. Just found it - http://www.fordification.com/tech/engine-perches.htm

The Bell housing is the same from the 300 to small block but you can't use the 300 flywheel on any 302 (early or late)..
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Thanks for that link Jason. My engine stands look similiar but have rubber stoppers on top? Maybe some homemade thing...

Oregoon wrote:Glad to hear you're keeping a six in there! Nothing against V8s, just love the sound a six makes.

What caused yours to let go, and what went wrong?

We haven't taken the engine apart to look inside so we don't know the extent of the damage yet. The mechanic said the engine is totally seized up. And the oil dumped out because somehow it blew a hole in the oil pan. I haven't had a chance to crawl under it to see where the hole is or anything.
I also don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of engines, I'm pretty new to it all. Dunno if anyone here might have idea how that could've happened...

On another note I found an I6 nearby out of a 79 F150...the guy says it runs fine, but the intake manifold is welded near the base of the carburetor. I could always switch the manifold off my broken 6 to it. Does $300 seem like a good price for it? I've dealt with the guy before and he seems pretty trustworthy and straightforward about his stuff.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Going back over it, I think it seems as though I may have thrown a rod? And that caused the oil pan hole. I've never had it happen before, but from what I've read/heard from people the rattle combined with low oil pressure sound like symptoms of a thrown rod...
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Sounds like a rod to me! Bummer.

As to the new motor, can you compression test it?
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Oregoon wrote:Sounds like a rod to me! Bummer.

As to the new motor, can you compression test it?

If I was closer I would. Its about 2 hours away...
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I ended up gettin the engine. Guy said it was a daily driver before he got it and started takin it apart. Looks like it had 145xxx miles on it.
Took a chance. Had a little lifter noise, but was pretty low on some very old oil. So hopefully its just engine crud causing it. If so: great! If not so: I should be able to combine my 2 engines to make one good 300 :lol: And at 1$ per cubic inch, it was the best deal around here I could find.
Dropping it off at the garage Thursday. Hopefully it'll be done by next week so that I can finally get to work on it instead of someone else!
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

ThinLizzy13 wrote:I ended up gettin the engine. Guy said it was a daily driver before he got it and started takin it apart. Looks like it had 145xxx miles on it.
Took a chance. Had a little lifter noise, but was pretty low on some very old oil. So hopefully its just engine crud causing it. If so: great! If not so: I should be able to combine my 2 engines to make one good 300 :lol: And at 1$ per cubic inch, it was the best deal around here I could find.
Dropping it off at the garage Thursday. Hopefully it'll be done by next week so that I can finally get to work on it instead of someone else!

Cool! 145K isn't even halfway there on a well-maintained motor, and for $300, why not? Also, I've found Ford inline-motors to be very receptive to a thorough overhaul. It never fails to amaze me how much abuse these things can take. Keep us posted!
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

Sounds like a good strategy. Personally I love the Six's. Looking forward to updates and hoping it will go smoothly. Image
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505