'flat' paint jobs - opinions/thoughts wanted

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixtyfive
United States of America

'flat' paint jobs - opinions/thoughts wanted

Post by slixtyfive »

So I was leaning toward a 'flat' paint for my '65 project. But I've recently heard/read about potential issues down the road with that approach and am wondering what you guys might know about it.

The potential issue is that spots where bugs or whatever may need to be scrubbed off at some point in the future. Apparently that scrubbing action can induce somewhat of a light 'polishing' effect and you then have spots that don't have that same smooth satin finish as the surrounding areas and the paint will look 'splotchy'.

Anyone have experience or thought on this?
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
William-in-St George

Re: 'flat' paint jobs - opinions/thoughts wanted

Post by William-in-St George »

Delco has a single stage paint, for get the name. Looks flat unless you buff it. Spray it with this single stage paint and then clear it. Truck will look like 50Yo patina without the rust. IMHO!
William-in-St. George
loosrp

Post by loosrp »

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Product-Annoucements/Ditzler-Hot-Rod-Black-Kit

Best stuff I used yet, a bit pricey but durable. You get what you pay for, this is actually a urethane top coat.
Wizzards sells a great detail spray to clean the bug guts off...
http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store/product.php?productid=12&cat=0&page=1
Russ
Harrscars

Post by Harrscars »

We paint with the brand flatz. They have over 90 flat colors now. There epoxy so there durable enough to take a stiff potato brush to get the bugs off. If we get oil or grease on it we use wipe degreaser and it comes right off. Look at the tcp global website they have them all there.
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Don't paint it flat, use a flattening agent in regular clear so you can make it have a slight sheen. It'll be easier to clean and won't have the glossing problem when you clean it. Griot's Garage also has a "Bug Off" spray that keeps bugs from sticking, just spray in on the nose after you've washed it. Won't have to scrub them off that way.

We use PPG's One Choice flattening agent in 2021 clear. 25-33% flattener in the clear will give you some sheen without being shiny, and not too flat where it's hard to clean.
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

One other thing- you only get one chance at painting the truck with flat, satin, or flatten clear. You can't wetsand and buff any imperfections like trash or runs. Also need to paint it all at once with one batch of paint so the sheen matches all over.
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

Wondering if you could wash and clean the truck with a very fine scotch brite pad to keep your satin finish on the paint, or if it would remove your paint over time?
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Since this was brought up I will toss this in for opinions.
My goal for my 64 is to have a paint job that looks like a 1964 paint job.
I don't want flat or too much gloss and definitely no clear (I don't like clearcoats anyway).
I will be shooting the truck with enamel just like Ford did.
Now to "age" it just a little I was considering using about 10% flatten-er - I don't want a semi gloss or one of the new flat looks but I do want to knock just a touch of gloss off of it to make it look older.
You guys seem to have some good ideas on final finish - any thoughts?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
cwindsor

Post by cwindsor »

I sprayed this hot rod flatz at the house... Easy to lay down. Don't buy the hot rod flatz pearls or metallics they stripe really bad. If I could do it over again I would have took the base flat clear route.

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

IF you want the aged look, just spray it with a single stage paint, and let it set outside. Oxidation of the paint will do the job. Flat paint jobs turn me off , as I think it looks cheap, and lazy. Even though it most likely isn't if done right. Besides , I think the truck will bring less if you need to sell it. Just my opinion, and I see a lot of flat paint jobs on the internet. The reason clear coat is popular , is because people got tired of buffing the paint so it shines without buffing.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I'm not going to want to "just leave it sit outside" when I had this nice new garage built for it and after working on it for 4+ years Rich, lol.
I haven't decided to do it this way - just a theory.
I just don't want it to look "too new" I guess.
The idea is to have it look like it was built in 1964 - I'm even using period correct dress up pieces on the 5.0 - I used a 66 289 4 bbl intake for that reason.
The wheels are an old Halibrand look a like too.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.