just curious, what is this?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

sgettin

just curious, what is this?

Post by sgettin »

listed as an "overdrive" transmission. dumb question i suppose but does this thing have an xtra highway gear or something? or is it just a standard tranny with a impressive name, kinda like a 79 "cobra" mustang.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/4315647046.html
Greg D
United States of America

Re: just curious, what is this?

Post by Greg D »

They had them in the 50s and the 60s even behind FE's.
Chris's 60 Galaxie has one.
They were solenoid operated off of a knob under the dash usually.
The later ones you just left them in OD to for driving, after you got to about 30 MPH you would just lift off the gas and it would shift.
You could also shift these between 2nd high and 3rd low without using the clutch.
It's actually a pretty cool system but might be a little tricky to find the rest of the parts.
They would get you pretty good fuel mileage just like a swap to a T-5 behind a Y block does.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
grump

Post by grump »

I had one in my 1961 Mercury Monterey convertible with a 352 and it was nice for gas mileage, of course when your 17 years old who cares about mileage just stomp the pedal and go. When you let off the gas the tranny free wheels, no compression braking. You could pull out a knob on the dash and disconnect the overdrive.
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

sounds like something i could use in my 63 (has 4:56's) lol. a bit complicated maybe but kinda a neat idea.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

These transmissions were borg warner equipped overdrives. As mentioned these had governors and selenoids. The R11 designation means it is a heavy duty, and most likely used with a big block originally. If in good working condition, then price is good, if not then you have a serious problem. I think this tranny came out of a later car, and should have been twelve volt. Some parts for these are getting impossible to find. Prices on selinoids reflect on how hard those are to find. However, unknown are some things I have recently found to be harder to find, and that would mainly be the freewheeling clutch assembly in the overdrive. To use this transmission in a truck would mean you have to change some of your driveline. The drive shaft would have to be cut and fitted with a slip spine for the rear of the transmission. IN addition, there is specific wiring for the kickdown switch and firewall relay ( also needed ) and wiring running to the engine. These trannies work great, and I use one in my shortbed 66. Interesting fact , is that to kick the tranny out of overdrive to pass when you press the accelerator down you hit th3e switch causing the relay to momentarily kill the motor for it to go out of overdrive. The overdrive will not kick out unless there is no pressure on the overdrive, thus the reason to kill the motor. In operation , you don't even know it has happened. There are ways to run one without the specific wiring and relay, as I've seen kits on Evilbay to do without the Ford specific items. However, the solenoid and governor are necessary regardless. The reduction in engine rpm is about 25%.

Rich
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

64 f100 wrote:These transmissions were borg warner equipped overdrives. As mentioned these had governors and selenoids. The R11 designation means it is a heavy duty, and most likely used with a big block originally. If in good working condition, then price is good, if not then you have a serious problem. I think this tranny came out of a later car, and should have been twelve volt. Some parts for these are getting impossible to find. Prices on selinoids reflect on how hard those are to find. However, unknown are some things I have recently found to be harder to find, and that would mainly be the freewheeling clutch assembly in the overdrive. To use this transmission in a truck would mean you have to change some of your driveline. The drive shaft would have to be cut and fitted with a slip spine for the rear of the transmission. IN addition, there is specific wiring for the kickdown switch and firewall relay ( also needed ) and wiring running to the engine. These trannies work great, and I use one in my shortbed 66. Interesting fact , is that to kick the tranny out of overdrive to pass when you press the accelerator down you hit th3e switch causing the relay to momentarily kill the motor for it to go out of overdrive. The overdrive will not kick out unless there is no pressure on the overdrive, thus the reason to kill the motor. In operation , you don't even know it has happened. There are ways to run one without the specific wiring and relay, as I've seen kits on Evilbay to do without the Ford specific items. However, the solenoid and governor are necessary regardless. The reduction in engine rpm is about 25%.

Rich

kinda weird i've never even heard of one and hell i'm older than my slick. would be interesting to drive but not something i better tie into given my mechanical abilaties, or lack thereof.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Might not work great with your transfer case situation.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

sgettin wrote: kinda weird i've never even heard of one and hell i'm older than my slick.

You probably didn't hear of / see them around because very FEW folks cared or give much thought to saving fuel back in those days, since gas was so cheap back then. I'd bet they didn't sell many, and as a result, I'd also bet those units are a fairly rare item as well.... :2cents:

BarnieTrk 8)
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

They were pretty popular in cars. My 66 Ranger came with one.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I think these are a great set up for the day. I have one in a '57 tbird. Turns your 3spd into a 5 spd of sorts as OD would work in both 2nd and 3rd gears. They usually are around .7:1 in the final ratio. These would typically be installed with a slightly higher rear end ration to improve overall drivability. Parts are actually not that rare as there are a few guys around that have squirreled away a lot of parts for these and older transmissions in general. The BW ODs were used in all major as well as Studebakers makes.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

To the best of my knowledge, these were only used in 2 wheel drive versions. Also there were truck specific ones and you can tell these by the built in yoke on the rear of the transmission. The overdrive was very popular in the 50's and on into the 60's, but lost popularity as people became used to automatics. Last overdrive in trucks was in 71 or 72. At least in this style. The toploader fourth gear overdrive came in after these were discontinued. One other thing about the overdrive transmissions, was the internal gearing is not the same as used on the 3 speed. Gears don't interchange.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

LM14 wrote:Might not work great with your transfer case situation.

SPark

i do have a welder and some bailing wire.

actually i'd like to drive a vehicle with one in it just for grins they sound kind of interesting from reading the posts. been seeing them on craigslist lately for some reason.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

sgettin wrote:

actually i'd like to drive a vehicle with one in it just for grins they sound kind of interesting from reading the posts. been seeing them on craigslist lately for some reason.

When did you get 'lectricity up there on top of the hill?

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

LM14 wrote:
sgettin wrote:

When did you get 'lectricity up there on top of the hill?

SPark

well i don't technically have lectricity i make the wife run on a treadmill wired up to my "pliances".