Difference between a custom cab and a standard cab?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

simonscr
United States of America

Difference between a custom cab and a standard cab?

Post by simonscr »

Can I have a little education please?
What are the differences between a custom cab truck and a standard cab truck?
My truck is a standard cab.

The truck floors are different...
Could one make a standard cab into a custom cab?
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
goldenage
United States of America

Re: Difference between a custom cab and a standard cab?

Post by goldenage »

My understanding is that the Custom Cab is just a nicer trim level. Chrome bumpers and grille, sweep speedometer, "Custom Cab" script on the door, special door handles, etc. I don't think that there are any sheet metal differences between the two - floors should actually be the same.

I don't see why you couldn't make a standard cab into a Custom Cab, but finding all of those chrome parts will be expensive.
1966 F-100 longbed - Project Betsy
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

I thought I had read someplace that the windshield opening was a fraction of an inch larger to accommodate the fin for the windshield trim molding
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

It actually depends a little on the year of the truck. Outside of trim holes, I am not aware of any differences in the cabs themselves. There are trim differences both inside and out. The ones I am aware of are the customer cabs typically came with the side trim, a custom cab emblem on each door, a dash trim strip, the door panels and trim, floor trim at the doors, trim around the top/inside of the door, and the windshield trim molding. One some of the earlier trucks there was a chrome dash bezel and extra bezel around the knobs, and on the 66 (maybe 65) there was the sweep speedo rather than the round one.
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

There is no difference on the cab floors b/t custom cab and standard cab. Years make a difference, 61,2,3,4 have inner steps 65,6 'flatter floor' F350 and F250 4x4 [65] have steps [ not sure on 66- someone will chime in] Your larger trucks have a flatter floor at the trans hump...
Hope this doesn't add to the confusion
:mrgreen:
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

Was wonder what the floor change was. I just assumed it was custom cab vs standard cab.
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

My 65 parts(custom cab) truck had a wider seat.had it recovered and put it in my standard cab 65(
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

what about this ... didn't most of the Custom Cabs come with the two tone paint job inside and out ...
Also I would say my truck wasn't a custom cab, but a rubber grommet only front seal left the windshield fitting loose in the upper corners. So I used a chrome front windshieid gasket with trim and it DID fit tighter/better.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

F7BIGJOB wrote:There is no difference on the cab floors b/t custom cab and standard cab. Years make a difference, 61,2,3,4 have inner steps 65,6 'flatter floor' F350 and F250 4x4 [65] have steps [ not sure on 66- someone will chime in] Your larger trucks have a flatter floor at the trans hump...

Just got into an online "discussion" on this. Easy method of determining is that the leaf spring Slicks ALL have the inside step type cab, and will interchange on any Leaf front sprung Slick, although there are many differences. There ARE two different rooflines for the inner step cabs, the "lower" '61/63 cab, and the later ""high roof" cab.
Coil sprung Slicks ALL had the later style cab lacking the inside steps. This means '65 F-100 and F-250 4x4, as well as the F-250 4x4 '66, plus the bigger leaf front trucks had the "step" cab. The '66 F100 4x4 is the only 4 wd slick to originally have the later cab- and amazingly, fits the coil spring rule :roll: ,; as do the '65/66 two wheel drive F100's/F250's.
If you prefer to read the same info from another source; hopefully not an "expert" Ford mechanic; check out Iceman's info by searching "what cab fits".
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Toyz wrote:
F7BIGJOB wrote:There is no difference on the cab floors b/t custom cab and standard cab. Years make a difference, 61,2,3,4 have inner steps 65,6 'flatter floor' F350 and F250 4x4 [65] have steps [ not sure on 66- someone will chime in] Your larger trucks have a flatter floor at the trans hump...

Just got into an online "discussion" on this. Easy method of determining is that the leaf spring Slicks ALL have the inside step type cab, and will interchange on any Leaf front sprung Slick, although there are many differences. There ARE two different rooflines for the inner step cabs, the "lower" '61/63 cab, and the later ""high roof" cab.
Coil sprung Slicks ALL had the later style cab lacking the inside steps. This means '65 F-100 and F-250 4x4, as well as the F-250 4x4 '66, plus the bigger leaf front trucks had the "step" cab. The '66 F100 4x4 is the only 4 wd slick to originally have the later cab- and amazingly, fits the coil spring rule :roll: ,; as do the '65/66 two wheel drive F100's/F250's.
If you prefer to read the same info from another source; hopefully not an "expert" Ford mechanic; check out Iceman's info by searching "what cab fits".
Paul
Paul,
My 65 F100 Custom Cab was a stepside, trimless and chrome cluster. Would it have come with arm rest and interior door trim?
Chris
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I don't think they drilled the holes for the armrest or door trim in trucks that didn't have them installed.. Also if my memory is correct the arm rests don't screw into the door but a tab placed into the horizontal bead rolled into the door. At least I have seen it done that way before.
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

CC had a pass side visor
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

foodstick wrote:I don't think they drilled the holes for the armrest or door trim in trucks that didn't have them installed.. Also if my memory is correct the arm rests don't screw into the door but a tab placed into the horizontal bead rolled into the door. At least I have seen it done that way before.
Ill check for filler on original passenger door. Thanks
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

F7BIGJOB wrote:CC had a pass side visor
Interesting you mentioned that. I installed first one on passenger side. Truck has had a heck of a life including a head on collision. Cab is off set some. Check link below.
Thanks

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/me ... +Years+Old
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Yes, Chris, it should have come with both. The " chrome" cluster with sweep speedo was part of the CC package in '65.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Good topic this.. I've been asking myself the same question as I think my 65 might have started life as a custom cab. Clues to the puzzle include "filled" holes on the doors and hood where chrome strips once were, the chrome strip on the dash and brackets either side for a dash cover material of some sort. Also has a sweep speedo but in a reproduction plastic/chrome trim. Both doors have arm rests.

I'm also thinking that she was two-tone, possibly the same light blue (code F) but with white hood, upper door etc. the underside of the hood is white and there's tell-tail masking lines in weird places.

The big question is the bed. Assuming it's the original,where would the trim holes be?
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

If 65/66, about an inch above the bed side seam.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Toyz wrote:If 65/66, about an inch above the bed side seam.
Paul

It's a 65 and no holes in that locations so more than likely a replacement bed. Does anyone know of a template for drilling new holes?
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
chris401
United States of America

Anyone Else Have A 65 Stepside Custom Cab Built July 65@KC?

Post by chris401 »

Toyz wrote:Yes, Chris, it should have come with both. The " chrome" cluster with sweep speedo was part of the CC package in '65.
Paul
SEE MY POSTING TITLE. Don't know if date or build location matter but I must have an odd ball. Mine came with a round speedo. 23 years ago I cleaned paint off of it but it was too rusted to keep, or so I thought. Custom cab scripts were gone when we painted it. Original passenger door got filled on outside and driver door had holes but was replaced.
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Ewie, I can provide you the hole positioning next week, but a consensus of opinion might be helpful. My bed and trim appears to be the original Camper Special, but the side trim on the bed seems to sit a little low in relation to others; thus I have less of the lower body color visible above bed seam in relation to others. Horizontal positioning is less critical IMO as the trim clips are movable in the channel.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul