302's, 5.0's and 64's and 79's

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Greg D
United States of America

302's, 5.0's and 64's and 79's

Post by Greg D »

Since this also affects my 64 I am putting this here too.
It may also be helpful to 65-66 owners.

78-79 Master cylinder and clutch.
Here's the deal, I am not real excited with the 302 that's in my 79, it has a C4 behind it.
I have a fresh roller cam 302 that I converted to a carb sitting in my 64 with a T-5 behind it - I am not 100% sure about using the 5.0 in front of the C4 because they make quite abit more torque - I would have to buy a flex plate too. If I am going to swap the engine I also may as well add and OD tranny. I don't want to run out and blow money I could do alot to both trucks with on an AOD when I have the T5.
Now I really wanted a hot rodded 6 in the 64 anyway so it wouldn't completely break my heart to pull the 5.0 out. I would put an M5R1 in with the 300-6.
The Mustang it's from uses a cable clutch, I have a hydraulic setup for it in the 64. The swap is pretty much a bolt in (I also converted the 5.0 to V belts) - the issue is the clutch. I could use the hydraulic setup in the 79 except for one thing, the brake booster is going to be in the way installing a clutch master. I could also probably fabricate a mechanical linkage but that will be an issue with the headers (the 64 has 79 headers). Is the master cylinder the same without power brakes? I sort of hate to ditch it since it's new.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
LM14
United States of America

Re: 302's, 5.0's and 64's and 79's

Post by LM14 »

What do you think you would gain with the 5.0 vs the 302? They are the same engine. Anything you've done to the 5.0 could be done to the 302, it's just a name change, not a mechanical one. If it's because of a roller cam, that's not that big of a deal.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Hi Greg, whilst I understand the setups are a little different between LHD + RHD, I see no reason why you can't have both. What it might depend on are your exact components you are using for the swaps.

I recent changed the 66 drums to a power disk setup using all 78 components, that's beams, spindles/disk rotors, booster, MC. The only things that remained from the 66 is the brake pedal, front wheels and 66 springs + drag link. The springs purely because they had been upgraded to something heavier than what came off the 78. The draglink because it's modified (I assume by ford) for RHD slicks. Both 62+66 I've owned have this crude looking mod.

The clutch master cylinder i recently replaced as well, I actually imported it from macs in the USA because it was $50+$12 shipping whereas buying it locally was $265 plus a weeks wait presumably because they had to order from the USA!!! I've discussed it in other threads, but it looks identical to the fruit jar master cylinder, it's just a bigger bore, 1" I think. (Can check if u need) the slave is the same one as the hydraulic fridge slaves.

The booster has to sit on the same brackets you guys use (the type tom sells) and makes just enough room for the clutch master line to attach and then do a 90degree turn down to the tranny.

Pics are a little Tough but I'll see what I can dig up
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

I never took a pic after the booster install, but below will show u the idea. The 78 brake master/booster bolts directly into the holes from the fruit jar one, and the spacers on the booster clear the clutch master. You can already see the clutch like is bent to head toward the tranny, but it is more 90 degrees now.
HTH