auto tranny ?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Charlie64

auto tranny ?

Post by Charlie64 »

Is the ouput shaft on the back of an auto suppossed to be moved up/down left/right? It's the shaft that the driveshaft yoke slides over. I have a wierd vibration too. It'll actually clunk if i really try to move it. This is bad, right? :cry: Internal tranny problems?
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Ya, there sould be no play like that

what type is it? FMX, C4 C5 C6??
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Actually the type where the yoke slips over the end of the output shaft and into the tail housing seal & bushing will have play, up to .125" in fact.
The slip joint & tail housing bushing carry the end of the output shaft to a great extent. :roll:

4 bolt flange type yokes, where slip joint bolts up to the back of tranny at the output shaft should have no "lateral" play, yet slip fit together & rotate easily without resistance. . . . .

So the answer should be some play id within tolerance on the slip in style yokes but not the bolt up type.

FBp 8)
Change is the Only Constant
Charlie64

Post by Charlie64 »

sorry guys. it's in my dad's 93 f-150. it' s a slide in style not a bolt in. hmm now i'm confused. I thought for sure that was it as my 64 doesn't have any play. Thanx for the info guys Hopefully i can get this fixed up so I can get working on the 64 again.