Manual clutch linkage parts interchange?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

simonscr
United States of America

Manual clutch linkage parts interchange?

Post by simonscr »

My 65 f-100 2 wheel drive, was originally an inline 6 with a 3 on the tree. It now has a 289 with a c4. I am planing on going to a 4spd out of a Granada, 4th gear being overdrive! 8) I only piece of clutch linkage I have at this point, is the clutch pedal resting on the firewall.

I'm am helping a friend part out a 1964 f-350 dually, 2 wheel drive, inline 6, with a T 18.

Will any of the clutch linkage pieces from the 64, bolt in and work on my 65?
If not, what year and model of trucks do I need to look for, for a donor, so I can have all factory bolt in clutch linkage parts?
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
simonscr
United States of America

Re: Manual clutch linkage parts interchange?

Post by simonscr »

No experts on clutch parts? :(

Does anyone have a picture of what the clutch linkage parts look like installed on a f-100, 2 wheel drive, twin I beam truck?
A few pictures from underneath, of the frame and at the tranny where it all connects would be nice.
Thanks
Simon

65 f 100

slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

I will take a look at what I have and try to post something back later today.......

EDIT:
I should clarify - I don't think they will interchange but you might be able to make them work with some modifications. But I have both so I can take look and get some pics today.
Last edited by slixtyfive on March 23, 2014, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I only have the 61s, and am not sure they would be the same, I do have some of those parts since I went with hydraulic clutch. My son has a 66 but it came with an auto, so no help there
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

They are different and although they could probably be modified to work, I'd think finding the correct parts shouldn't be too hard. As I suspected, it looks like they are the same for bumps and I should have an extra set from a bump if interested(let me know as i'll have to dig through some boxes to confirm that I have it).

The bracket at the frame is different and its difficult to tell this in the pics but the '63 (top two pics) pivot assembly is larger - both the length of the pivot shaft as well as the length of the arm going to the clutch arm. Bottom two pics are my '65. However, as I'm typing this it came to me that the engine could also impact the size of the pivot shaft and clutch arm. These are both 6 cyl (but different vintage 6 cly - 223 vs 300(EDIT: should be same as your 289)). As you can see, the arm for the clutch pedal rod to connect to is at a different location left to right in the truck so apparently the rod from the clutch pedal comes through at a different location. I believe I have another setup from a bump with a 390 so I'll try to find that for comparison also.

"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

Thanks slixtyfive. So if I'm looking at this right, on the early clutch linkage, the rod from the pedal runs on the outside of the frame rail, and the later linkage runs on the inside of the frame. Is this correct?
Simon

65 f 100

slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Yep - basically. I'm not sure if the early one actually would clear the outside of the frame but its right over the outer edge (above the frame).