Throttle Cable

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shawn F.

Throttle Cable

Post by Shawn F. »

I have a 1966 Ford F100 that I am putting a 351W in. I keep running into a bunch of small little problems (mostly fitting issues) and one is my throttle cable. I have a Stealth manifold with a Edelbrock 500 carb and the throttle cable bracket is mounted at the BACK of the manifold near the firewall. I have the longer throttle cable which is for a V8 motor in these trucks but I am having mounting issues. First off, the bracket is a bit too far back and the mounting part on the cable (the part with the metal to clamp onto) is too far forward. Also it seems like the cable may be too long because it's cramping up and wanting to kink and when I push on the throttle it is too bent to go back and the throttle sticks on... This is very hard to explain over the internet but I am hoping some of you may understand and have gone through the same thing and have a way to fix it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I need to try and get this thing going no later than Saturday!
Thanks a lot!

Shawn-
Comet

Post by Comet »

You will probably have to fabricate up a bracket and it sounds like shortening up your cable. Try to not make any sharp turns, and test it for WOT and smooth operation and be sure there is just enough slack so the buterflies close fully. Not much we can help with, I've done it many times and sometimes it just takes trial and error. What I do is attach the throttle cable to the carb and lay it out and find a place to mount the bracket. Then start bending, cutting, welding, etc to make it work. When I put EFI on my Jeep's 401 motor I had to re-do it 3 times because when I finally thought I had it, I couldn't get WOT. Ultimately I ended up heating and bending my gas pedal a bit, which I think got bent over time anyway.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Might try finding a complete cable assembly in a salvage yard that is out of a later model truck with a 302 or 351W engine. You should be able to make somthing from the two that works.
Jim
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Yeah well the bracket should not be a problem. It needs to come up about an inch to and inch and a half only so that will be easy to fab up. The hard part for me is the cable being too long and when it's on the carb and in the bracket then right in front of the firewall where the cable comes out it's all kinked and wound up real tight and I can push the throttle and it's fine but when I let off it sticks and sticks pretty hard. My old cable was similar and kinked a little but was so old and worn in that it worked but eventually it was the original I think and it broke so I bought the new one from a friend.
Comet

Post by Comet »

Cut the cable to the right length. Pull the inner cable out enough to clear your cut, then cut the sheathing. If you crimp the end when it's cut, open it up with a nail or something and slide the inner cable back in and cut it to the desired length.
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Oh so I CAN cut this? If so then I will have to look at it and try to picture what you are talking about here. I don't get what you mean but will try to understand it tomarrow and look at my cable.
Comet

Post by Comet »

I've cut it before, many times.