"292 Y-Block Fuel-Pump"

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shadow

"292 Y-Block Fuel-Pump"

Post by Shadow »

My Fuel Pump Shot Crap's Yesterday. Luckily It Happened As I Pulled Into My Garage After A Long Drive Yesterday And It Was Well Over 100-Degrees Out. I Picked Up A New One At The Local Auto-Parts Store. Any Tricks To Installing The New Pump? Looks Pretty Straight Forward But I Thought I'd Ask The "Crafty Veterans" You Guy's Haven't Steered Me Wrong Yet! Thanks...
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: "292 Y-Block Fuel-Pump"

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

its a bit easier to install if you turn the crank until the cam eccentric is positioned with the high spot up, thus relieving pressure on the arm and not having to bolt against the spring pressure.
clamping the inlet hose with a c-clamp or vise grips and a few small thin wood pieces will keep the gas from coming out of the tank while replacing the pump ,then when the hose is hooked back up just unclamp.

curious to know if its the factory y block style pump with the glass bowl or one of the later FE non filtered pumps
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:curious to know if its the factory y block style pump with the glass bowl or one of the later FE non filtered pumps
Thanks Brian, No Unfortunately. The One I'm Replacing Is The "Carter" Canister-Type. The New One I Got Is A Carter Also. Hopefully The Diaphragm Won't Fall Apart In 6-Months With The Crappy Gas Available These Days :x .........
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

Fuel pump manufactures have caught up with the ethanol problem, or at least inventory has.

I had three $100 fuel pumps fail 5 years ago, that caused me to switch to electric pumps. Cost to switch was the same.

Never had an electric fuel pump fail, but I also bought the vane style pumps and not the solenoid style. Vane is quieter, humming noise versus rattling noise of the solenoid style pumping.

3 years ago I bought and used a mechanical fuel pump for a small block ford. Money was tight and the fuel pump was $20 vs. $70 for the electric.

Sold the car three weeks ago, that three year old pump still working..

I also run stable ethanol fuel treatment in every tank.. I buy the marine formula as its cheaper than just the plain ethanol treatment. Same thing other than color.
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Nathan390 wrote:Fuel pump manufactures have caught up with the ethanol problem, or at least inventory has.
That's Good To Know. The New Fuel-Pump Went On Without Any Problems. I Just Had To Flare & Bend A Small Piece Of New Line. The Truck Runs Great Now With No Leaks. :)......