Underdash air in a '66

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

69supercj

Underdash air in a '66

Post by 69supercj »

Anybody done this with an old factory Ford unit? I've got a couple to choose from, ones out of a '66 Mustang and the other is out of a '64 Fairlane, both work. The Fairlane unit is a bit shorter, maybe an inch, inch and a half and the Mustang unit is about 2 to 3 inches deeper. Looks like the depth will be the bigger issue with trying to clear the heater box. Anyway just wondering if anybody else out there in Slick land has done this as it would sure be nice to have a little A/C on these 98 degree days. Also trying to figure out the best route for the hoses in the engine compartment. Seems the majority of compressors are hung off the drivers side of the engine but my P/S pump is in the way and the right side is wide open other then the alternator down low. I've got a brand new old style York compressor but geez those things are heavy. I'd like to use one of the newer style of Sanden compressors but brackets might be an issue. Probably have to fab up my own. Any ideas, advice or pics would be greatly appreciated.
banjopicker66

Re: Underdash air in a '66

Post by banjopicker66 »

I did this, yes, to my '66 before I started to disassemble the thing for restoration.
Unfortunately, it seems I can no longer post pictures, but I still have a few of what it looked like.

1. Engine brackets - what engine do you have now? Harvest the factory brackets for your engine - AND GET THE COMPLETE SET to include the pulleys (don't forget the crank pulley either). Sometimes the brackets and pulleys for other accessories such as the alternator will be different with a factory installed A/C setup. You might want to consider getting a factory serpentine setup for a later engine. I replaced the 352 with a 460, so I harvested the complete bracket and accessory setup from a late '80s 460. Although the A/C compressor I got is no good as a compressor, it fills the spot for the serpentine belt until I finish the truck and install a new A/C system.

2. You might want to consider not using an original evaporator. Two reasons for this. First, the original expansion valve is calibrated for R-12 which is getting very hard to find and expensive. Second, it may not work well with later refrigerants such as R-134. It may not be worth the money and trouble to make up hoses and all just to find it will not work right. It has been awhile since I researched this, so my information may be out of date. It might even be possible to replace the old expansion valve with one that handles R-134 - and that would be uber cool to have a vintage system with later refrigerant.

3. Check out the many vintage and classic A/C systems available on the internet.

4. In retrospect, the biggest problems I found were locating the condenser properly and getting hoses with the right fittings made up. I eventually bit the bullet and had a hydraulic shop make the hoses up. For the condenser, I sandwiched it between the radiator and the core support, but that meant making radiator supports (mine is a '66, and doesn't have the supports like a '65) and moving the radiator fan back a bit. I didn't have the resources at the time to make electrical upgrades to support an electrical radiator fan. Further, it would have been best just to buy the correct condenser to begin with. There is very little room behind the grill to install a generic one. Also, since the factory one used leaky radiator clamps on the pressure hoses, I intend to go with an aftermarket one that is the right shape and size, and with threaded fittings.

Best of luck!
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

I have a Frigid Air that was in the truck when I bought it.
I sent it to classic auto air and they rebuilt it.
It works great and fits nice.

If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

Mine has the York compressor. After a rebuild you can run the newer freon.
I like the York compressors and mounting is not an issue. Mine mounts on the drivers side up high.
I have manual steering but it would clear a power steering pump.
Ford used the York compressors in the 70's on a lot of trucks with power steering.
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

My motor is a 302 with power rack and pinion steering and its got a funky looking P/S bracket that I probably need to change. I'll research the coolant issue but I thought there was a new style of coolant out that will work in the older units.
Papa Dink 64
United States of America

Post by Papa Dink 64 »

Vintage air has all kinds of A/C stuff for, I guess any kind of vehicle. They have Sanden compressors and all of the brackets, condensers, wiring harnesses, you name it, they've got it. I installed a complete replacement system on my sons truck. It wasn't cheap but it got so cold it would make your finger joints hurt
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Cant afford the vintage air stuff. Gotta do it on the cheap. Hope to have less then 250 bucks in the whole dealeo. All I should have to buy are the lines/hoses and some brackets and pulleys.
66camperspecial

Post by 66camperspecial »

Would love to put a under dash a/c in my 66 but with the Lokar shifter coming out of the original 4 speed hole is in the way,if I ever find a original p/s automatic column a/c is going in.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I have a Sears under dash unit I am installing in my '66.... I'll get it finished Eventually... :wink:
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Yes I went this route, I really wanted one of those vintage air Mk iv units but they were expensive here and the problem with the slick is you can't get them pushed back towards the engine enough, so they sit out proud. I ended up getting a generic underdash unit. This is the deciding factor on which underdash unit I beleive, because they all stick out a little bit, it's just how much. Although bwf's seems to fit under beautifully. I am revisiting a/c on slick 2 and have gone for a hidden evaporator. Still mucking around to fit it, but this type means you can mount it vertically or horizontally or put it in the roof if you want...... :lol:

Personally I wouldn't bother with a York compresser unless you have a good one laying around. Ebay had the York to sanden converter brackets. I've used them a few times and they work great. The sanden will put a lot less load on the motor particularly when idling.