Explode-A-Drum....check this out...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SCWIDVICIOUS

Explode-A-Drum....check this out...

Post by SCWIDVICIOUS »

This is what happened to my truck brakes causing me to hit that car.

the lugs litterally still turn, while the drum would set still. this is among one of the wildest things I have ever seen. I shoved a screwdriver into the crack so you could see that one too.

http://fordtruk.com/forums/album_showpa ... user_id=39
Rick
1965 F100, 352, Cruise-0-Matic
SCWIDVICIOUS

Post by SCWIDVICIOUS »

looks like its time to go ahead and go to disk brakes, huh....
Rick
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Not too bad, i'll try and post a pic or two tomorrow! LOL I have two that make that look tame. They were both on customer cars that were DRIVEN to my shop! Later Hawkrod
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

Yea I'd say its time for the discs :!: :!:
But I have also never seen or heard of that happening to smaller drums ,just the ones on semis.
I think its trying to tell you something :!:
Could have been worse at least you know it was out of your hands due to mechanical failure :twisted: and not driver error :oops: .
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Wow, that is pretty crazy looking! Like everyone said, disk brakes. I have them on my 66 and now want power because my manual ones dont even stop as quick as I want them too and I have come VERY close to hitting people a couple of times because of them slamming on brakes like an idiot and no I wasn't riding their bumper, I keep 1 1/2 to 2 car lenghts behind always.
SCWIDVICIOUS

Post by SCWIDVICIOUS »

i keep a good distance too. i know it would have stopped if it had not snaped like that. would have been a little shorter distance then i like, but would have stopped. i know that partly due to idiots that pull out right in front of me because they think im gona do 10 mph because im in an older vehicle. i normally end up having to pass those very people because they do 10 under the speed limit...lol

ohwell, time to move forward, and make it right........and go to work..lol
Rick
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Rick.

Common failure of over cut drums.

I had this happen on a 66 K10 4x4 with 44s.. After i hit the brakes i finally stopped about a quarter mile from the fire station........ :shock: Managed to not hit anything.

Garbz
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Garbz is right too many times on the turning of the drum Also I have seen this happen when too thin & installing power brakes
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the thinner the casting gets the more it heats up with braking. if you ever take off drums that are blue or have blue spots on the inside, they have been overheated before and should be replaced as turning may remove the discoloration but not the heat damage. any hairline marks or cracks on the inside is also cause for replacement.40+ year old cast iron can be very brittle, one telltale sign is chipping off the edge of the drum.
once i had a front drum that was cracked while waiting for the replacement i put several large hose clamps around the drum as a precaution and limited the use of the truck unil the replacement arrived.i would never reccommend this procedure but it did keep the drum intact for a few weeks.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
SCWIDVICIOUS

Post by SCWIDVICIOUS »

wow garbz, i bet that was one hell of a ride wasnt it.

well lets call this a serious lesson in life and hobby....

thank you guys for an explanation as to why this probably happened.
Rick
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

When I swapped the rear chunk in my pickup, I wanted to re-do the rear drums. I took them to a local place that I trust and the fellow said he didn't want to turn the drums again as they were close to "spec" and he would have to go over spec.

The drums looked OK, but I forked over the change and bought new drums (actually from a different parts place, as the place I took the drums to be turned couldn't get them for several days).

Anyhow -- a story like this makes you aware that sometimes when a repair shop says "replace it" they are RIGHT!

I have disks up front -- manual and I don't mind. I can lock the tires up all around, but someone with a little less bulk might benefit from PB, I admit.....
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Yeah def a big difference between the '66 F-250 and the '02 F-250 with its four wheel hydroboost ABS disk brakes.

Adrianspeeder
SCWIDVICIOUS

Post by SCWIDVICIOUS »

i had adapted a hydroboost and 4 wheels disk to an 82 mustang along with 5 lug wheels. unfortunately, something with the rod ended up getting out of whack and it messed up the hydrobooster. i put a vaccy back in its place...

a little about the stang...it has a bit of truck in it so I can talk a little about it ;) paid 100 bucks for it. drove it home. it only used 4 quarts of oil in that 6 mile trek, didnt use hardly any gas.

straight 6 when got it. 3 speed auto, POS rearend(and not talking POSI, the other meaning). rear drum, 4 lug. orange with black accent on hood. ugly as hell, thats why i love it.

the parts donors were an 86 lincoln continental
(rearend, drive train, and other misc),

86 mustang gt 5.0
(for the kmember and steering, front brakes, low friction ball joints, etc...)

Ranger pickup truck. Front rotors. (for the 5 lug on the front.) yes it fit the 86 gt 5.0 spindles perfectly.

Howitzer (yes that big gun) how did I use howitzer parts on a mustang, and how did I get them??
simple, a friend of mine was a mechanic in the army working on them. my part.... a brakeline adapter.
I used that brakeline adapter to mod and mend the linkages from the mustang/and lincoln. it worked perfectly with a little modding.
Rick