Question for those who have used the Mustang tank

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

NUMA NEWBERN

Question for those who have used the Mustang tank

Post by NUMA NEWBERN »

I'm going to do the same conversion BUT need y'alls expertise, I've read I think all of such conversions online especially here on this site.
I think years ago I found one that kept the filler tube in same place as produced and NOT moved, then they placed the fuel filler tube in the panel below the tailgate.
Those who have used this tank do you think the Mustang FACTORY filler tube will work doing such? Will the Mustang filler tube mount to the panel below the tailgate?
Reason whay I am asking is there is a number of places that offer these tanks in a kit with the filler tube, pickup etc. NO NEED to order the kit IF the filler tube won't work with my setup.
Thanks
deadheadno1

Re: Question for those who have used the Mustang tank

Post by deadheadno1 »

I don't have the answer to your question but have thought along the same lines about a rear filler tube. I want to find a late fifties Ford license plate mount to put the gas cap behind. When I was a kid I always thought Fords way of hiding the filler was pretty trick.
Tom :mrgreen: :cheers:
"Make him a "deal" deal, maybe the guy's a republican!"
Dakota Kids

Post by Dakota Kids »

Since we were using a New Mustang Tank we filled the "Factory" hole and moved it to the side. We are going to bring thru the bed stake pocket.
If you ask me anything I don’t know, I’m not going to answer.
Yogi Berra
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

I wrote the original article on the Mustang tank and I used the cut off neck because I wanted the filler to be in the bed floor AND at that time the only filler cap I could get was a 2" boat style deck fill. That is why I cut off the old neck and welded on the larger 2" piece of muffler tubing.
Years later, I would suggest that the critical issue here is the physical size of the tank so that it will fit between the frame rails and not the size of the neck. And I found after I wrote the article that there are several other stock (reporduction) that have those dimensions with different filler neck locations.
One in particular is - I think I remember was a mid-fifties big Ford tank like a Fairlane, with the filler neck on the side of the tank. This opens up a lot of options for filler caps, and allows for routing a rubber hose that will bend and go between the bed floor and the frame.
Also, I would use the smallest diameter "aluminized muffler tubing" I could get to match the corresponding filler cap. Small diameter rubber bends without kinking much better than the bigger stuff.
*you can get the muffler shop to bend your tubing to match a template of your routing for almost nothing.

Good luck and keep asking questions. We're all glad to help where we can.
Uncle Skip

Here are just a couple of ideas.
One goes down the side of the bed.
One goes in the top of the inner wheel well.
I've also seen people like Max take the filler thru the side of the bed like on modern trucks or Kevin Stone who re-invented the wheel and make a mamma jamma hidden behind the tail light super secret James Bond gas filler. But that's another story for another time.

Finally, plan a tank vent that WILL NOT spew gasoline under hard acceleration. Your gas mileage will go up accordingly. Trust me.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

FYI. The behind the license plate filler might work out, but the filler opening has to be higher than the neck so it will fill or you're going to have serious problems.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

This is what I did

1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
deadheadno1

Post by deadheadno1 »

OK, I am following everyone but,....the whole point is to keep the filler "OUT" of the bed. I use my trucks as trucks and if the bed is full of stuff I don't want to move anything just because I want to fill the tank. That said, ford used the tag filler a lot of years with no problems. And nothing new about hiding it behind a tail light, go look at a '56 ch*vy sedan.
Tom :2cents: :mrgreen: :cheers:
"Make him a "deal" deal, maybe the guy's a republican!"
grump

Post by grump »

Ford did put the filler behind the plate, but it was several inches higher than the tank. The panel under the tail gate would be at or lower than the filler tube. To put the filler behind the plate the tank would have to be mounted lower if I'm looking at this the right way. Chevy did have the filler behind the tail light but it was designed by engineers where as Kevin designed and built from scratch the filler in his truck. Just saying.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I considered putting it behind the tail light in my uni, however, Out here in California, there is a huge collar on the fuel filler nozzle, for emissions, that won't let you fit it behind the tail light. I am going to have to move it to the rear of the truck on the outside of the bed, if not behind a fuel door, then I will just cut and patch the original location, and swap sheet metal to do so.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!