Slick value by YOM

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Toyz
United States of America

Slick value by YOM

Post by Toyz »

This is a subjective type question, but what would individual members consider to be the most valuable slick by year. Naturally, this would be assuming equal overall condition with few or very limited modifications. Bed style and drivetrain choices would certainly figure in to the equation, as probably would 2wd/4wd. Just curious here, would your choice be the '61 uni, with it's major departure from normal pickup convention? Maybe it would be the '65's with a somewhat longer lasting departure as far as suspension; the '66 as the culmination of all things slick, or maybe the '64, with cab and bed changes as well as the Sport Package offering while retaining the final offering of old standby engines and suspensions on the 2wd? The '62s or '63s with some of the most cohesive design details?
Let's hear some opinions and favorites!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Slick value by YOM

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

subjective indeed
guess i will bite anyway
cant say as i value dollar wise any one more than another
but personal choices affect value in the eye of the buyer
i like longbeds and 4x4s and trucks were made to be trucks and work as such.
but had i been able to buy in 63 i likely would have gone for the dst special order, f100xl.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

I agree the XL100 is top dog in this game.
Next would be the Rangers & Mercury trucks.
Then the Big back window Uni's.
Tom Williams
BigWindowFord
United States of America

Post by BigWindowFord »

As our trucks are getting more valuable the pocket book street rodders will enter the game and bring "their" values with them. I predict the shortbed bigwindow Unibody to be come the holy grail of slicks money wise at least.
I own two bigwindow longbed unis that need resto but my tastes have changed and a stock restored Longbed '65 would totally do it for me.
29rpu

Post by 29rpu »

What about crew cabs? I would think factory crews and some well built carrage crews would be up ther to with f100xl, bigwindows, rangers, and sports package trucks. I also think that shorts beds before long beds uni then style side 64-6 before 61-3.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I have been looking a long time for a 1965 F100 4x4
Last year for a leaf spring, front axle , 1/2 ton
First year for the 240 i6

And if a guy could order it with a 'Ranger' package.......
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

64 longbed, just what I have.
Doesn't matter 6 or v8 although I now have a 292 in it.
Simple, straight forward. no frills no radio or air. just a heater. ready to haul, or just sit on the tailgate with my little grandaughter and visit.
It's not pretty, but everytime I drive it anywhere I ALWAYS get lots of thumbs up and comments.
I even had a young lady ring my doorbell last week and wanted to buy it for her husband!, because he had commented about it.
Last of the straight axle
As far as value-that's a tough one.
I think they are a little like vintage motorcycles. (Of which I have restored and sold several) The first thing owners did back then was start abusing, removing stuff and neglecting them. That makes any one of these year trucks more valuable if closer to original I think.
I'm not ready to admit it but probly the 66 is the most recognized as "'the truck" of preference. I'll get beat up for this one but the uni is not the one, long, short, or even big window.
I'm gonna go hide now. :)
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I do not consider personal preference a reason to run and hide. My personal preference for 61 uni's, is only defined by having been my first running vehicle way back in college, there are lots of reasons to prefer a particular vehicle, highest of which would be a positive experience with one.
I learned to drive,, in my moms 1969 nova and would dearly love to have one, in the shape she traded it in. My dads 1969 c10 with a 292 6 with a column 3 speed would still be family owned had my brother not rolled it in 1978. My brother also sold his 1964 1/2 convertible mustang with a 289 auto in order to buy a modern, dependable Toyota Cellica That we all wished to have back within 10 years of sale in 1980.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

a 61 is now 54 years old
in 1961 a 54 year old car was a 1907
first ford truck was 1903
pretty sure nowhere near the amount of 1907s were driving about in 1961 as there are slicks today.

in 1961 if you were making $500 a month it took 4 months worth of salary to buy a new slick.
today the top of the line trucks clear 75K. that means you need to make near $20K per month or $240,000 per year to be on the same scale.
that $240K is 120 slicks.
its insane.
ill keep driving the slicks, it has way more value in the end as far as im concerned.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

It is nice to know that even my roughest slick is worth at least what it cost new, and from this point on, appears to continue to appreciate in current dollars!
I definitely like my modern,"smarted up for dumbed-down drivers", point and scoot, vehicles, but in reality, 50 year old technology has proven quite effective; and durable.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

and the y block is 60+ year old technology.

there was a raffle recently for a new truck, buy a ticket $100 for a shot at winning. i did not bite but thought gee if i won i would sell it before even driving it and buy as many nice slicks or some slicks and a few cars from the 60s.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
BigWindowFord
United States of America

Post by BigWindowFord »

You are so right Iceman. The return on investment for somebody who bought a new truck in 1961 is amazing. Here in the desert north of Los Angeles you see slicks everyday still earning their keep. Without rust they last forever......
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

just like the farmers who bought grain hauling slicks back in the 60s around here.
see them regularly, still rust free and working.
same goes for the dodges and chevys too.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Ahem.
Well, if you could actually find one, I'm thinking the Mercury "Mountie" version of the Ranger would be the second most valuable truck... if you could find one 8)

On a person note, I'm most fond of the 61-62 flair side trucks like the white one at Paradise because of the grills and straight axles. After that, I have no real preference.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

I'm the 3rd generation owner of my 65 longbed with a 352/3 speed. I'm 40 and my boys are 12 and 11. We all love the truck. Grandpa bought it in about 1980, my uncle got it in about 1990, and grandpa got it back in about 1993. I got it from Grandpa the first time in about 1994. As a fresh High school graduate I wasn't really in a position to make it a daily driver, so again Grandpa got it back again. I finally got it back when he had his stroke and left his home in 1997. I held on to it until 2010 when I was able to devote time and money to making it a driver. Now I drive it daily for the last month as it's the most reliable out of my vehicles.

I can take the boys in it and tell them all of the stories that they are tired of hearing about Grandpa and Grandma and all of us kids in the bed headed from church, to McDonalds and then to the flea market. THAT was a Sunday for us for a long time.

How do you put a price on that? I have less than $400 in it since I started. It would scrap for about $600 - $700. It's an investment!
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I hope my wife doesn't read the "It would scrap for" part :oops:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
graybeard
United States of America

Post by graybeard »

Good Morning

IMO, around my place that's not worth much! The XL100 is a one off. The '64 "XL CAB Package" has so far turned up just six units. They're not worth much yet because most folks don't think they are real. Sooner or later this too will come to pass! Six pickups identical right down to the grain of the tank curtain material, exact same seats Bostroms "Thinlines" both sides tilt forward, part number L01052. All six of the known trux have the '64 Falcon console. These trux were proclaimed bogus by a self-proclaimed expert on the left coast, he's since been proven wrong. The one truck of the six that has been restored has been so maligned I doubt the owner will talk or show the truck to anyone, but I hope he does. Like I said, IMO.
If you can't run with the big dogs "STAY UNDER THE PORCH" !!!!!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Expecting info soon on a seventh; unless I missed it in your list. Still trying to verify the situation with the D81 truck, let alone the '63 catalog ad supporting the XL package.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Paul is this the ad

1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Yes, that is it. To bring you up to date on this, Ice; there is a local D81 truck with what appears to be all the right holes for buckets, console and curtain. I have yet to get a chance to look under it, but I have no reason to question the authenticity at this point. I know at least one of the black interiors existed locally, owned by a local dealership, and driven by the parts manager. It was a beautiful truck, and as a kid at that time, I just assumed it was put together by the dealership. It is possible it may be the same truck.
Another local dealer with a long history of family association with Ford performance and the people making it happen back then has retired. He is very affable to talk with; I am hoping to "pick his memories" on these trucks and other questions when I run across him.
Anyway, as Irl suggested, the black Sport Package would surely warrant inclusion in the annals of the rarest, if not most valuable, slicks, IMO. Problem now, as in '64, is just the lack of "clams" to pursue this!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul