5 speed swap questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bigmcgiv

5 speed swap questions

Post by bigmcgiv »

240 i6 3 speed to a 5 speed. looking on info. what trans to use t5 or a m5r2, bellhousings, crossmember mods, driveshaft mods if needed. my truck has floor mount shifter installed. looking for better highway crusing rpm. i figure the swap would be the best to do that. the truck will be needing a clutch so figure kill 2 birds with one stone.
bigmcgiv

Re: 5 speed swap questions

Post by bigmcgiv »

So no one done a 5 speed swap how about a t170. Which i believe is the 4 speed od.
bigmcgiv

Post by bigmcgiv »

i found this. i going to base my info from. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=32284&start=20
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

I like the t5 ... But its the only 5 speed I have any experience with. I've had them setup with both the cable and hydraulic clutch actuation. I like the hydraulic even though it was a bitch to bleed. It drove nice.

Nic
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Welcome,
still playing with the 2.3's?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I put in a 4 spd where 4th is OD. Very easy, direct bolt up. Had to shorten the driveshaft by 3/4". Used a transmission from a mid-80's for truck. Not sure about the model. Has great highway legs with the 3.7 rear end.
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

MadMaxEtc put a t5 in a 67 model with a 300. The info for it is on here somewhere.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

bigmcgiv

Post by bigmcgiv »

i did a t5 swap in my 66 mustang it was easy. the t5 swap in a pickup will require 2 trans to work. one from a ford and a 1 from a chevy. and marry the 2. there is a how to article on the hamb. i would still need to mod the crossmember and the shaft. but the t5 you can retain your stock linkage instead of hyd setup.

the mod in question on the t5. the ford s a tailshift the chevy is forward right behind the gear box.
http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm
bigmcgiv

Post by bigmcgiv »

bigmcgiv

Post by bigmcgiv »

so the t5 is possible. but more work than the m5r2 and the t177 4 speed. im leaning to the m5r2 for 3 reasons.
first extra gear.
second hyd clutch. it can be a pita but they operate smooth as silk.
third very plentiful.= cheap $$$$$
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

This is on my 292. I think the six will work with a adapter instead of bell housing mods. info on the S10 versus ford tail housing also.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12055&start=20&hilit=trans
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
bigmcgiv

Post by bigmcgiv »

the 240 is the same bell bolt patern that the 300, 302 and 351w use. but still need 2 trans to do the mods. nice job on your conversion.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Zf 5 speed from the later f series?
Small block bell housing, hydraulic clutch, shifter in the perfect spot!
bigmcgiv

Post by bigmcgiv »

zf is very similar in design as the m5r2
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Ahh perfect then! I have no idea if we had them down our way, but zf's are available here (not cheap) and ideal replacement for np435. Even has similar ratios except for the OD :twisted:
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

bigmcgiv wrote:i did a t5 swap in my 66 mustang it was easy. the t5 swap in a pickup will require 2 trans to work. one from a ford and a 1 from a chevy. and marry the 2. there is a how to article on the hamb. i would still need to mod the crossmember and the shaft. but the t5 you can retain your stock linkage instead of hyd setup.

the mod in question on the t5. the ford s a tailshift the chevy is forward right behind the gear box.
http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm

That link doesn't work.... But I think this is the same article.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... le.171291/

Nic
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

bigmcgiv wrote:i found this. i going to base my info from. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=32284&start=20

This was the swap we did on my sons truck. What route did you decide to go and how did it work out?

Sorry for taking months to notice your first post. My other teenage son bought a 70' XR7 convertible that took me away from the F100. The m5rs swap has about 10,000 miles on it and has been without a hitch.
rooster91
United States of America

Post by rooster91 »

i am in the middle of the m5r2 swap. i intend on doing a write up monday if im finished by then. but the what i know so far is:

fly wheel: needs to be for the 10inch clutch my stock clutch was 11inch so i ordered a fly wheel out of a 90 f150. the important thing if you switch flywheels is getting one with the right balance

clutch: i also needed to replace my clutch so i went with the clutch that would have been orginal to the m5r2 so again out of a 90 f150

drive shaft: the drive shaft on the m5r2 is a slip yoke style so odds are you will need a whole nother driveshaft im building mine. but the slip yoke is the same as the c4 automatic. i dont know for a fact that they are the same link but i have read about people swaping the drive shaft directly from a c4 truck and it works fine

starter: this is a question for me with switching the fly wheel so i went ahead and ordered the one from the 90 f100. i will know the answer to that one tommrow

Transmission mount: im not sure on a 3 speed but id say it probably has the same transmission mount as the t18 4 speed that was in my truck. the mount bolted right into the m5r2

Clutch linkage: the m5od has a internal slave cylinder which is the draw back and a odd ball line hook up so i went with the clutch master cylinder and line from the 90 f150. im not sure but i think the zf and t5 had manual clutch which would be somewhat easier

hope this helps out
If it wears make up or has wheels and a motor i want to play with it!