Putting Power Booster on a 64...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Good deal Bro Dave
email me a tracking number at
canuck_j at Yahoo dot ca

remember the ca part for us canooks we ain't your normal dot coms :lol:

and now back to your regularly scheduled thread... right after this message from Garb'z garage sale... come buy...make offer... don't be Frugal... :lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Doug, I checked my 66 booster and a 64 parked here. The stock 66 booster has 4 studs with a mount dimension of 3 1/2" x 3 3/4". The 64 is 2 1/2" x 3 3/4". So, you would have to drill some holes to make it work.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Greg

I take the 64 plate flip it and add 1 inch then redrill the pattern for the 65 up booster.

This is to mount a lever type to a pre 65. It still mounts with the four stock bolts and the four inverted counter sunk bolts in the late pattern. I tack weld the counter sunks.

Garbz
northbayclay

Post by northbayclay »

Be careful if your '64 has a 223- the carb is right where the Master cylinder wants to be when you use the MP setup, and probably most of the stock Ford ones too.
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Thanks for all the great info guys.
I was thinking of making an adapter that will mount to the existing holes in the firewall and the other end mount to the booster. I think the attachment arm from the booster to the pedal is about 8 inches, but the stock dual master cylinder arm is about 4 inches. I will have to make that up with the adapter. If anybody has any pictures of their set-up, I would appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Doug
Riverside, CA
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Ok...just found out that the 65 or 66 booster is no longer available at any of the parts houses around me. Does anyone have any other suggestions where I would be able to get one??
Thanks,
Doug
Riverside, CA
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Doug

The same pattern booster is used untill 80 in trucks.

Ask for a 78 for an F150/250 lever type

Its a bolt on. in Christine it clears the big block center bolt valve covers with room to spare.

I use the lever type 78/79 unit only due to the extra room it gives at the valve cover ( It moves it up about 3 inches) and the simplistic hookup to the brake pedal. No rods to mess with, just mark the lever and drill it with progressivly larger bits to 9/16". It bolts on and accepts all ford drum/drum and disc/drum masters......It will bolt to your firewall using the stock bolts.

If you can hold off a bit, i could come out to Riverside and do the conversion for you. possibly Middle of October

Garbz
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Pics up of my MP setup
[albumimg]601[/albumimg] [albumimg]602[/albumimg]
[albumimg]603[/albumimg] [albumimg]604[/albumimg]

note the goofy angle it sits at and the clearance to valve covers

also in the background.. a wiring nightmare LOL
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Man JC, that would bug the crap outta me. But I still love that blue!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Uhh Brother John....from what i see methinks its installed upside down.. I have never seen em pointing down.. some times they will have an upwards tilt ala a GM product.

Garbz
prost66

booster

Post by prost66 »

I have a bronco II booster on my 66 with Lincoln master cylinder,and I have brakes. The booster is small. Merle
1966 F-100 "Grabber Blue" Pro St. [ 99 to 44/100% pure recycled FORD ]
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Johnny Canuck wrote:I have an MP power brakes boster on my '64, have not put fluid in it yet.

Are they supposed to sit on such a goofy angle? Mine sits with the front of the reservoir about 1/2 to 1/4" lower than the back,,, I will have to jack the truck up to make it level enough to fill the brakes... :?

Yeah, Garbz, I looked at it 8 ways from Sunday but that's the ONLY way it goes together , dude. Can't turn the MC up the other way. No flippy no worky. :?
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Garbz,
I might just take you up on that.

JC,
Nice looking engine compartment... I hope mine will look that good.

Hey Merle,
What year BronoII booster do you have?

You guys are the best...
Doug
Riverside, CA
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Can't you reverse the brackets that hold the booster? I know on some Fords they will mount two different ways and the wrong way makes it point down. Hawkrod
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Tom. Looks like the bracket is parallel...
In other words reversing it would raise it or lower it but would not change the angle.

I could put some washers behind some of the bolts I guess.. doesn't seem right tho.

Wayne what did you do with Sinc's?
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

If that is the case then that means the booster itself is wider on one side than the other so unbolt the booster and master cylinder and rotate the booster 180 degrees and bolt it back together, the booster does not care which way is up. Hawkrod
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

jeepbut, tell 64 you drove sincs ands pretty nice.

wk
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Brother John

Try Hawks suggestion asnd just rotate the booster sans bracket.

The GM boosters units have a taper built in to them.

Garbz
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

*sigh* I wish Wayne would have said SOMETHING when he popped in here as to what Sinc's looks like.....

I told you guys I looked that that sucker 8 ways from sunday BEFORE i installed it.. unless Wayne found something I missed, flipping brackets, etc wil get me a whole lot of NOTHING. Rotating the booster will make it WORSE as there is a nylon wedge built into it to get it that straight already. Filpping that over will make it about a 30 degree angle down.

Thanks for all your advice tho fellas.... don't want to seem as tho I don't appreciate it.. just went thru all that long time ago already.. :? I must be missing something tho.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Yep

Hate to tell ya this but the salesman thought ya said 64 Chebby........

Something is definatly not right.

Garbz