Lowering a 64

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shadow

Re: Lowering a 64

Post by Shadow »

F164 wrote:Shadow, what size tires do you run with that setup?
Those Are 225/75r16 Front And Back..............
F164

Post by F164 »

I have a pair of Crown 2 in lowering shackles. I think they will work on the back if I raise the bed 1/4-3/8 in.

Home Depot has bearing plates that are 3x3 and 1/4 in thick that I can use between the bed and frame.

Since my bed is a flareside I don't think that amount of increased height will be noticeable on the body lines.

Im going to try that to lower the rear 2 in first.

Im still not sure how much modding I want to do to this truck. Ive also got my eye on a 65 Ranchero that I would like to add to the collection.
F164

Post by F164 »

I installed (2) 1/8 in shims between the frame and bed.

The bed has 3 sets of mounting bolts that go through the wood floor on my 6 ft bed.

I put the shims on the third set of bolts from the front of the bed.

That gives me 8 in of room for the 2 in lowering shackles, I only need about 7 3/8 in.

After I install the shackles I may remove one of the shims if I can.

The rear of the bed has two mounting bolts that do not go through the wood floor. They bolt under the bed. My truck is missing the holes for the bolts, so I now have a 1/2 gap where the bed cross brace is not in contact with the frame cross brace. I will have to cut a couple pieces of wood to fill that gap.

Pics once I have it all done.
Red Sledz
United States of America

Post by Red Sledz »

Anyone run a drop axle on mono leafs looking at Shadows truck another 3 inch drop would get it way low. I have a flipped fr axle ( axle on top of leaf springs ) and want that ride height, but the bump steer is ridiculous. I am gonna try the drop arm Sid sells for like 90 bucks,until I can afford Indusrial Chassis Dakota conversion with drop spindles. I also have the rear end on top of the leafs and it is quite low. I will post a picture if I can