short in turn signal

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

spstack

short in turn signal

Post by spstack »

turn signal keeps popping fuses that means ground short correct any help would be great thks
1234 sps
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: short in turn signal

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

maybe a wire rubbed thru the insulation inside the column tube.
every time that signal has power most likely a front or the one for the flasher it pops.
sometimes those wires after time get close to the turning shaft inside and when finally thru to the copper theres a ground contact.

other things too any of the ts wires in the engine compartment or the front ts buckets wire going thru might have broken enough to contact the socket
might start first with checking all of the bulbs and sockets and work you way back to the column
even the switch itself could be the issue
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Ice is right check sockets first. If the rubber gasket on the lens has allowed water to inter the socket it could be rusted causing a short. I would start by disconnecting each light and check with a multimeter for shorting. I can also suggest visual inspection of the light socket for rusting. I would ask if it blows the fuse immediately and or does it have to be driven before it shorts out? There is a 3 wire connector just below the where the plug in is on the dash that goes to the rear lights. You can unplug this to check rear lights. Be aware that these plug connections can become corroded and pins can break off. After growing together for several years and the plastic hardening and drawing, these can be difficult to take apart. Breaking off one of the pins, can be a blue fog of words, as then youhave to replace the plug.

Rich
spstack

Post by spstack »

thanks guys truck has a new wiring harness but I will check all the sockets also just put a new turn signal switch so I will check its not hitting something on the column thanks again
1234 sps
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Have to be careful when installing wiring in column . I shrink wrap mine before installing. There is a plastic sheath on the wiring on original wiring for protection. Suggest you unplug front and rear turn signal wires , and then try the turn signal. If the fuse blows, then you know it's not the lights causing the problem.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus