Yblock starter motor gear problem

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dvotion

Yblock starter motor gear problem

Post by dvotion »

I have a 64 f250, 292, t98. Last Christmas the truck stopped starting... Wouldn't start but would kick over on a push start. Weather is finally nice in chicago so I pulled the starter and bought a new one. (I replaced the starter relay prior to the starter motor purchase because they are so cheap) Guys at the starter shop claimed old one was bad. Well I finally am getting around to installing it today. Pretty simple job, and the starter turns over now but I can't get the starter to disengage once the truck is running. It either is powering the starter the whole time the truck is on, the gear is not disengaging and the flywheel is spinning the starter super fast, or both. Problem is, I don't know how to tell the difference.

I'm a little unclear based on wiring diagrams where to ground to chassis from the starter motor goes. On one of the mounting bolts between bolt head and starter motor mounting plate? On the back of the starter motor? Another place?

I'm guessing the bendix is gone, but it did not seem to have a problem when I put the truck away at the beginning of this year.

Other wiring throughout the truck is abysmal so if there is a wiring related fix, it may be the one.

Anyone have any ideas?

-Grant
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Yblock starter motor gear problem

Post by unibody madness »

Grant,
sorry to hear of your starter problems, rest assured you are not alone, I just did the same thing with one of mine.
First the power from your new selenoid attaches to the lug coming off the starter body. The ground will go to one of the bolts that attaches the starter to the bell housing. Pick the one that is easiest to reach, for me it was the middle of the three.
I would also suggest that you see if you can afford the mini starter sold by 'John Mummert' out of southern Ca.
It seems that these original starters last only about a year, and they draw a huge amount from your battery upon start up. I plan on getting a Mummert mini starter when this one next goes out.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

old farmer came into the store the other day with his yblock starter
said the truck had been sitting at least a year
he had already taken the bendix apart and cleaned and oiled it up
inquired about a new starter, they come only with the shaft the gear is a separate piece. can get them too.
i only work the front the shop was closed so no test
he came back in a few days later said he took the whole thing apart, cleaned it up put it back together and in the truck
(we had previously discussed it not mattering for installation whether the gear was back or not) he claimed it was easier with the gear in the starting position and the truck fired right up with no hesitation

myself i have used 2 starters both used on my truck in 15 years. first one blew the drive gear and only would spin right after i put the new engine in
i guess the greatly increased compression did it in

now to your issue
there is something wrong with the assembly of the gear if it does not disengage at the specified rpm which is low, in the 300s rpm
the gear works on centrifugal force, when the relay engages the starter and it begins to spin, the gear moves forward engaging the ring gear, until the flywheel overspins the starter at which time the drive gear moves back.

how to tell the difference is when you pull the starter out, where the gear is positioned. it could be stuck back instead of at the end of the shaft.

the ground is from the middle bolt of the starter is to the frame with a short cable,theres a hole in the frame for that bolt.

also must consider if your ignition switch is not fully releasing, keeping power to the relay.

best of luck ,keep us informed
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I'm with ice on this. I've had few problems with starters on the old y blocks, which I believe are the same on the sixes. Starter problems can be made worse by badly worn flywheel ring gear. Unless you've got something haywired on the solenoid, or the starter installed in a bind, the ignition switch hanging up is the most likely culprit.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

Never had starter problems except when the pin fell out of the drive. Do have switch problems. I have to manually turn the key from start to run. im to lazy to fix it.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
dvotion

Post by dvotion »

Thoughts:

The bendix gear is bad because the starter when I pull it out after starting is still in the 'engaged' position. IE flywheel contact mode. If the gear were working and the relay was the issue, the gear would still retract but sound like the starter was still cranking. Although... if the relay is telling the starter to crank the whole time, it may be spinning slowly enough to go back into 'engaged' mode causing a loop of not working. More likely though I think the bendix is bad, as that is the only part of this I don't really have the tools to diagnose.
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Pull the wire on the starter relay from the ignition switch off, if it releases the starter the switch is sticking in the start position

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.