Flywheel inspection plate/dust cover

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rderr

Flywheel inspection plate/dust cover

Post by rderr »

My 1966 352 w/3 speed manual is missing the dust cover for the clutch/flywheel. Also, since my rear main seal is leaking I am concerned about the oil getting slung onto my headers. I know I need to address the rear main seal but I also want to get a dust cover installed as well. Does anyone know where I can get one? Has anyone ever fabricated their own? I am not a great tin knocker but I can do some metal work.

Thanks,
Rick
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Flywheel inspection plate/dust cover

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i would first post an add in the parts wanted section, if no response i would contact Tom at www.flashbackf100s.com

bear in mind that although there is a small drain in the bottom of the cover with a leaky rear seal (i dont know how bad its leaking) you may end up slinging your clutch and flywheel with oil instead of the headers which trust me is a much worse deal.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Rick,
This came up not long ago,regarding the rear seal.I have a 66 W/352 about every three or four years I need to pull the intake manifold and reseal everything,these engines leak out of the rear(mine is the drivers side) Have you cleaned the top rear of engine?If not try that and drive for awhile then recheck your clean area,if you come up oily then your rear seal is probably good.
rderr

Post by rderr »

Good point. I have cleaned the engine up as part of the restore but I haven't checked to see if the oil is coming down the back of the engine from the intake. I just assumed rear main seal because of the location of the leak. Thanks.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

do not use the cork or rubber front and rear intake seals , instead use a nice bead of sealer, let it sit a bit before setting the intake down on the engine, then you wont blow out the cork or rubber and have leaks
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton