Joined the family!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

orangeRcode
United States of America

Joined the family!

Post by orangeRcode »

Thanks to Gary (TruckRat) for riding shotgun with me to pick it up! Enjoyed the company and conversation.
foodstick

Re: Joined the family!

Post by foodstick »

Always glad to see someone new posting stories, pics and info.. Hello from Iowa !
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

I have a couple of pics on my phone but unfortunately its raining today and supposed to all day. Will try and get some and post up tomorrow.

I'm excited about it and look forward to driving the old girl. Need to come up with a name. Wil ask for some possibilities once I post up the pics. :cheers:
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:clap: bring on the pic`s!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

My 12 year old son got to look it over real good today. He sat in it and we discussed the finer points of a 3 on the tree. It was the first time he had ever seen one. We are going to go for a ride tomorrow. He can't stop talking about it. I think he's decided it's going to be his. We shall see. That's 4 years from now. Made me pretty happy he was so excited about it. I see alot of hours working on it together. It's how the sickness starts!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

3 on the tree has almost become an anti-theft device.

We need pictures, even crappy ones are great!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Manual transmissions of any kind are becoming an anti-theft device! Amazing how many people have no idea how to drive a manual.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

bruceandersson wrote:Manual transmissions of any kind are becoming an anti-theft device! Amazing how many people have no idea how to drive a manual.
I had no idea it was a lost art until the Mustang club I was in a few years ago. Silly me thought all gear heads in a Mustang club knew how to drive a manual. We worked the Leake Auto Auction driving cars across the auction block. One of the younger members (probably early 20s) couldnt drive one of the 70s model cars because it was a 4 speed! I just stared at him in disbelief. I told him I was revoking his man card. :steering:

On a related note, I read that Ford will no longer be offering a manual transmission in the light duty trucks.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

The boy and I took the Slick to Hobby Lobby in search of birthday gift for his sister. He had a huge smile on his face as we cruised to the gas station and on to the store. He enjoyed waving at some folks that gave us a thumbs up. I'm going to get some better pics this evening and will post them up. I know TR has a few from the day we loaded her up.
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

I rode up to Owasso, Oklahoma with Rob on Monday to pick up a 66
Longbed Slick he found on C/L. Well it was even nicer than the pictures
in the ad and I was surprised somebody had not already grabbed it before
we got there. That's how my luck usually goes. Pulled a tow dolly to bring it back
with and while Rob and the seller went to do the paperwork I turned everything
around so we could load it when they got back. Snapped these beforehand.

Nice one for sure! It was a good day to buy a truck.
Anyone have any of the tailgate letters in white?
He is looking for some.TR
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Thanks for posting the pics Gary!

Overall the truck is rust free. It has a few minor issues (exhaust leak, oil leak, carb loading up and idling too high and a slight leak around the door). I'm very pleased with the truck. We took it on about a 20 mile shake down run and performed great. Got alot of looks and waves. The red is starting to grow on me. :cheers:
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Wow and a Ranger too!! Cool truck!! Yeah Gary's a good guy to ride with. Man has some stories!! :thumright:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

On another note. Just bought a '14 Mustang GT just over a month ago. The only way I wanted a muscle car was with a standard. Just cant see how they'd be any dang fun at all with an automatic. :steering:

I haven't seen any pickup by any manufacturer for a VERY long time with a standard transmission. But now, you can't even get a Porsche or a Jag without a slushbox and "Paddle Shifters" faint.gif

Paddle shifters. Are you kidding me? :dontknow: That's like the difference of playing a video game of driving a NASCAR car, or really driving a NASCAR car. Not the same thing. excuseme.gif Not even close.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I see the weather strip is on the A pillar, is that standard?, I don`t recall seeing it like that

BUT what a lovely truck !!! 8)
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Alan Mclennan wrote:I see the weather strip is on the A pillar, is that standard?, I don`t recall seeing it like that

BUT what a lovely truck !!! 8)
No, as I discovered during the past rainy day there is a leak somewhere allowing water in on the drivers side floor. I'm sure they must have been trying to remedy the situation but were not successful. Add that to the list of things to straighten out. Looks like my oil leak may be the rear main seal. Water pump is also weeping a bit. I'm going to do a compression check to see where that's at. That will determine if the engine comes out or just a cleanup/fix leaks is in order.

Love the truck though. :rocker:
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Dianne's new 2015 Edge has a "S" below "D". You pull it into "S" and then use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to shift your own gears. I just played with it today for the first time. When you shift to "S" it changes the dash display so a round tach is where the mileage graph is usually at. Like most people buying an Edge have a clue of how hard to turn an engine??!?!? I told Dianne she can apparently run it as hard as she wants to, no red line anywhere on the tach.

Nice looking truck. Look for plugged cowl drains backing water into the kick panel vents.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

Good looking truck. I hope to get mine to somewhere near that one day.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

What A Score! Looks Like It Even Has The Gas Tank Cover..... :clap:
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Wow, what a beauty! Love that interior. :thumright:
Johnny Canuck wrote:On another note. Just bought a '14 Mustang GT just over a month ago. The only way I wanted a muscle car was with a standard. Just cant see how they'd be any dang fun at all with an automatic. :steering:
I agree. Anything remotely sporty should have a manual. I also feel it's a much better option for the opposite end of the horsepower spectrum, where the last thing a small-displacement engine needs is additional mechanical losses and a less-connected driving experience. It definitely seems to be an option that's going extinct though. When I was shopping for a new daily last year the only way to evaluate the manual version of what I was interested in was to find a used one on a lot somewhere. It seems all the demos are automatic these days, at least around here.
LM14 wrote:Dianne's new 2015 Edge has a "S" below "D". You pull it into "S" and then use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to shift your own gears. I just played with it today for the first time. When you shift to "S" it changes the dash display so a round tach is where the mileage graph is usually at. Like most people buying an Edge have a clue of how hard to turn an engine??!?!? I told Dianne she can apparently run it as hard as she wants to, no red line anywhere on the tach.
My wife's SUV has a similar option, only without the paddles (you move the floor shifter forward or back to shift) and it's actually handy for driving in the mountains and/or in the winter. Easy to downshift when you need a bit of engine braking.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

Sweet!
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.