How to deal: seat back to steering wheel

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cdc3jj

How to deal: seat back to steering wheel

Post by cdc3jj »

So surely I'm not the only one who wants to keep the charm of a fairly original interior without having to be in the fetal position to drive it. I'm 6ft, 200lbs without a beer belly but My steering wheel is still rubbing me in places my wife doesn't. Which is not all bad, but that's another story...

My seat needs recovering in the worst way, and I'm looking for power steering options that would allow me to run a smaller wheel. But without sacrificing my 3-on-the-tree I'm not sure if it's possible to reposition the steering wheel for more space.

If the seat had a few more inches behind it that would probably be all I needed. Does moving the gas tank under the bed free up much room? I really want to stay with a bench seat.

How has this issue been addressed? I searched around on here but didn't find much as far as addressing the problem. Saw some really slick bucket conversions and some 40/20/40 seats. Are these the best options? Thanks for all the help.
foodstick

Re: How to deal: seat back to steering wheel

Post by foodstick »

I think some of the trucks do have a thinner back cushion on the seat. Maybe you could take the back off the seat.. then sit in the truck and see just how much thinner it would need to be to make it comfortable?

I am not sure if the pivot point was moved back an inch if that would help or not?

If you need to recover.. maybe you can make a mod to the back part that will be cushioned enough and still be sort of stock.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

The seat back usually hits the back of the cab and not the gas tank with the seat all the way back. Talk to your favorite upholstery guy about cutting down your seat springs and/or modifying the back with foam instead of springs to gain some room. '80's GM trucks use a thinner seat back.

Another option is to lower the seat by sectioning the mounts between the floor and seat base. Even an inch would help there.

Option 3, look at moving the steering column up at the dash mount and where it passes thru the floor. Might have to modify the holes where the steering box bolts to the frame but it might not move very much at the bottom to get the top to move a lot. If it's a 61-64 you could section the dash mount and move it up to the top of the hole thru the floor.

I haven't done any of these things but they should all be feasible.

Good luck,
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

You did not mention what year truck you have. Options vary between 65/66 and 64 and earlier. If you have a 65/66 you can pretty easily convert to power steering using the unit from a 73-79 f100/f150. I've done the whole twin ibeam swap a couple of times to get the power steering and power disk brakes. You also want the steering column to go with the box as it is shorter and prevents the wheel form being pushed even further into you. I am not as familiar with the 64 and earlier options, but have seen rack conversions and the Toyota conversion. I always thought the smaller period mustang wheel would look good and get a smaller diameter. As far as seats go, I've used some early 90's seats that have a thinner back and are more comfortable. They do not look period as they have headrests.
cdc3jj

Post by cdc3jj »

Sorry. It's a 64. i saw a guy who flipped the front axle and moved his box and column higher by sectioning the plate under the dash and the firewall. Seems straight forward enough. I hadn't thought about sectioning the seat brackets. That's a great idea. I probably need to bite the bullet and look at a floor shifter. The 3-on-the-tree is just so much cooler. Plus it's an anti theft device. Ha
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

If your front cab mounts are bad it will set the steering wheel in your lap. I am 5' 11" and about 240, and I got more room when I fixed my front mounts. The bad mounts will move the wheel towards you and down.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

What Dan said needs checking before you go any farther. Cab riding on the steering column causes all kinds of problems.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Later model seat backs are thinner and have foam instead of springs. I'd save the original seat back and install a newer back on your old seat. That swap will help a little. Newer seats have foam bottoms basically a POS. If you can get a seat from an 85 or so it's pretty much a bolt in deal. Save those original seats regardless of condition! You can remove the sliders and bolt the seat directly to the floor if you are the primary driver. This way everything appears original, costs nothing and you can return to original later. I would not give up 3 on the tree if I had it. Aftermarket smaller steering wheels can cause drive-ability issues especially if you are running radials without PS. IMHO!
William-in-St. George
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

what about cutting the steering shaft somewhere in the middle to the desired length and then sleeving and rewelding? Then cut the column down on the end to fit.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Low back bucket seats are the best thing for you problem, such as Mustang seats.. Why, because the seat back is thin. Taller seats hit the glass in the back before the seat is as far back as possible. I've often thought the full Mustang front bench seat might work well, but I believe is to narrow or more narrow in width than our original seats. Otherwise, I suggest you check into modifying your original seat back to make it thinner. there is no easy solution that I know of. The depth of our truck cabs is a problem in this regard. Extending the cab involves lots of work and planning, plus either extending the frame or shortening the bed. Major amount of work but can be done and has been done. Regardless, the limiting factor is the gas tank even with low back buckets. Remove the tank and you have a little more room, which is not all that bad a thing, getting the tank out of the cab. Also stops gas from slopping over onto the paint.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
wndsofchng06
United States of America

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Following this as I too can barely operate my truck now that I have a seat in it. My seat is from a 77.
MPH
1963 F100
Durham, NC
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I am 6'4" and 280ish.. my seat is a 95/96 silverado split back bench seat with the tank still behind the seat and my column is a '76.(but then my chassis is '76 also) the belly problem isn't there but it took some getting use to in the leg area to use the clutch and brake. I have driven her for a year now and in all reality, she is comfortable to drive... it was just different than what I was used to but now, I wouldn't trade a thing...

Image Image
White97

Post by White97 »

I'm 6'-6" had to scrap the stock wheel and went with a 15" wood grip Grant wheel and I just finished my PS Conversion with the Ford Ididit tilt column. I fit much better now. If the Grant wheel was dished and not flat it would be even better. The Ididit column was expensive, but worth every penny. I bought the 67-72 model, then had to swap column brackets from my original column to the Ididit column.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
cdc3jj

Post by cdc3jj »

That's good info. What p/s conversion did you go with? My preference has always been the 15" wood wheel. I have one on my nova which is without p/s but it can be a chore in slow tight maneuvers.

I'm not opposed to a low back bucket. I've found some mustang and thunderbird seats locally but I'd prefer to stay bench if I can. Just for originality. Thanks for all the pics and info so far.
White97

Post by White97 »

I have a 390FE (Forever Erupting) and a toploader 4 speed out of a galaxie in my truck. Runs great and is a blast to drive, just can't contain fluids. I added the factory Ford PS for this engine. Took a while to find all the parts, some local craigslist finds and Tom (Flashback F100) help me with all the pieces I couldn't find. The power steering conversion was pretty easy. The Ididt was a breeze to install once the column brackets were switched. It also has a telescoping lower shaft so I was able to position the column where it fit me. With the PS and the tilt column it really opened space behind the wheel.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed