Vibration

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

GLindley

Vibration

Post by GLindley »

I've got a vibration that just started a couple of days ago. Doesn't vibrate when sitting idling. When taking off from a dead start the vibration starts around 10-15 MPH. You can feel it in the steering column see the hood vibrate. Got under the truck (before the rain stated) and pushed and pulled driveshaft (side to side) but everything seems pretty tight (U-joints). Carrier bearing didn't seem to have any play that I could tell....any guesses?
Gene
1961 Intregal cab SWB 223 (getting 302 & TIB)
1969 LWB 302 automatic (Donor for the '61)
2000 F150 XLT SWB (Daily Driver)
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Loose or bent wheel?
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

could have lost a balancing weight...

you could look to see if there is a clean or odd looking spot on the rim.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

I agree steering wheel vibration almost always indicates an issue with front tires. Could be Wheel weight, bent rim, or belt shift in tire.
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

I would agree with a tire/wheel "vibration" if I was going 40-50 MPH but a tire/wheel "vibration" at 10-15 MPH? That would be more like a wobble not a vibration....
Gene
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Gene

Check your cab mounts.....

Garbz
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Well Garbz, the cab mounts are definitely shot, but not sure why THAT would make the vibration?
Gene
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Wobble???

Post by Uncle Skip »

Gene.
Does it continue to wobble the faster you go and does it get progressively worse?
Jack up the front end and check the wheel bearings to make sure you don't have one coming lose and check the lug nuts too.
I'd take a look at the drag link also.
If you have disk brakes, put your foot on the pedal gently and see if you have a pumping motion coming thru to your foot. Thats how I check for warped rotors.
OR.......... did you already fix it?
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Ain't fixed yet....the vibration seems to calm down considerably around 40 MPH, but then picks back up again around 50. And yea, I need to jack up the front end and check for wheel bearing play. Aint got disc brakes on the '64...(yet anyway)..
Gene
GLindley

Wheel Play

Post by GLindley »

Wow.....not thinking it would be tire/wheel related, I just went out to the truck and jacked up the front. right side has some play toe-in/out and just a bit camber wise. Left side has quite a bit of play on the toe-in-out and a ton of play camber wise. Lugs are tight. Took off the dust cap to see if I could turn the castle nut and it was tight. Watched the spindle as I "wiggled" the tire, and the drum seems to be tight with the tire/wheel. So, it looks like I've got drag link/ tie rod issues.
Gene
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Gene

The cab mounts when "shot" tend to put stress on the clutch linkages and will disenguage the clutch. MAkes for some exciting times and odd vibrations. For Automatics it can move the shift linkages enough to hang the trans in between gears. This hunting will also vibrate.

Makes a huge difference once the mounts are solid and fixed.

Garbz
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

If I understand correctly, you just started having this problem. With the problems you describe, and what is wrong with the truck, this will be a tough diagnosis. It sounds like you need king pin busings, but this should not cause a sudden bad habit. You might check your cab for more movement , which could be from suddenly droping a cab mount bushing or or final failure of a cab mount support. This would then cause the problem Garbz is describing.

A bad tire could possibly cause the problem, as this could happen suddenly, as well as balancing weight loss as previously mentioned. It's possible, that the front end finally got enough slop, that it was time for it to let you know, I suppose, but usually it's a gradual change.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

what kind of wear is on the tires?
My reasoning is that with tie rod/ drag link /king pin problems, you may not notice much when the tires are in good shape, but once they start to wear down a shimmy occurs due to the tire grip on the road, or a bad belt.
I had a truck that all the problems went away after a new set of tires, BUT the front end was shot and the tires weren't long wearing down and causing the shimmy to reappear.
It does sound like tie rods/draglink/king pins and possibly play in the steering box should all be checked.
Dave
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Gene. Rich could be right. I had a tire cord seperate on my Porsche one time and I like to never figured it out until it developed a serious bulge.
Good luck bud.
Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
mwilk1

Post by mwilk1 »

okay I'm not a slick expert like skip or some of the others, however being a mechanic tells me that your vibration is not tire related because it goes away. Being a front end problem (with worn tires) sound plausible and is usually a good cause for a wobble. I personally would invest in a few minutes time actually pull the drive shaft and check ujoint for not being loose but instead being locked up. This is usually (though not always) preceeded by a squeak at lower speeds as the joints are dry. If they lock up the shaft cant pivot giving (and I've seen many a customer) you a vibration.
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Golly guys, thanks for your responses! Now for an update...
Took the entire wheel/drum off the left side (to replace the drag link that I could see was worn when I was checking the tire/wheel for play from before). Got the drum/wheel off and the spindle had a bunch of play! Which of course means that I've got king pin issues. So, drag link is worn out, king pins need at minimum to be rebushed AND I discovered the tie rod has play as well! I've had the truck for 12 years, and this will be the third set of King Pins that I've had to put on. Then while the wheels are off, I'm doing a brake job and BOTH self adjusters are not working. Drivers side cable is broken, and passenger side cable slipped off of the guide!
Alright, so I price a drag link at $104.99. I rob the one off of the '61 instead. I WILL have to replace the tie rod ends though.
Also was told at the parts house that they do NOT give a core price for return of the old brake shoes anymore!
Gene