wheel adapters

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

JasonS

wheel adapters

Post by JasonS »

hey guys.going to pick up a set of foose classic legend 20x8.5s on sunday with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. too good of a deal to pass up. i know I will need adapters for the bolt pattern.my question is are there any special concerns as far as fitment for the adapters and wheres the best place to get a set.
JasonS

Re: wheel adapters

Post by JasonS »

Anyone
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Not ignoring you
Just have no experience with these....
Somebody will chime in eventually
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

with a 8.5 wide wheel I hope you have a large offset or a thin adpt or you might rub inner fenders :2cents:

Danny
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Not a big fan off wheel adapters, although they may be made better now than when I ran them. Never used them on the front but I did on the rear axle and had no problems.
I was using them on 14 inch wheels. You have a whole lot bigger and heavier rolling stock there with 20 x 8.5s. Do they even make an adapter to go from 5.5 inch bolt pattern down to 4.5 inch BP? Don't believe I would be driving any road courses or gymkanas set up that way in a 4,000+ pound truck. TR
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

Not planning to do any crazy driving with it. They do make an adapter for it but I'm probly going to swap the 9 inch rear to an explorer 8.8 and the jaguar ifs or crown vic so then the adapters will be taken off. Just wanted to see what people thought of that size wheel
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Just don't go crazy .... :oops:

[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Did a little digging and Speedway makes an adapter to go from a 5.5 bolt circle
hub/axle to a wheel bolt circle of 4.5. Hope this helps. TR
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

Picked up a set off Amazon 1.25" spacer with the correct bolt pattern change needed. They are supposed to be here tomorrow so we will see how they fit
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

We ran spacers for years on dirt late models and mods. Never broke one.

Use billet spacers, not cast.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

well I got my spacers in yesterday. took the old wheels off slapped one of the rings on and went to install my first new wheel and come to find out the guy that sold the wheels to me didn't know what he was talking about and told me the wrong bolt pattern. thinking the pattern was a 5x4.5 pattern that's what I ordered for my adapters but the wheels are actually a smaller bolt pattern. even worse no where on the wheel does it state the bolt pattern so I took out a tape measure and measured the spacing but im not 100 percent sure its right. now my only option to keep these wheels because they were such a great deal and I like them is to redrill the axles and hubs to a 5x4.5 pattern and then get an adapter to fit the wheel.a whole lot more work than I was expecting. I could swap rear axles to an 8.8 but I want to keep the 9" due to the size and strength. my plan in the future is to add a cv front suspension so the bolt pattern will be 5x4.5 then. any tips on doing this redrilling will be appreciated. I have heard that I will need to fill in the access hole on the axle and grind the weld down.not too worried about that just want to make sure its not a painful job.not very happy right now
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Did you measure the bolt circle like this?

I'd double-check to confirm the lug spacing on the wheels before proceeding. The only other option that comes to mind in terms of a smaller bolt pattern would be 5 x 100mm.

My next step would be to confirm the spacers are correct. Did they send the right ones?

I'm not quite following why you want to redrill to 5 on 4.5 and then adapt to whatever your wheels are now. If you're buying new adapters anyway can you just go from 5 on 5.5 to the Foose wheels on the rear and 5 on 4.5 to the Foose wheels on the front after the CV installation? Rotten luck that you may be stuck with adapters you can't use but I would think buying new ones would be less money and effort than redrilling.

Sorry about your frustration but you may not be sunk yet!
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

I don't think I can find adapters for this bolt pattern. I have searched for 5x5.5 to 5x100 and no luck. That's why I thought if I redrilled to 5x4.5 and then got an adapter which I have found going from 5x4.5 to 5x100 it will allow me to keep the wheels. I could go with an explorer rear axle but wanted to keep the 9" rear if I could. I did measure the bolt pattern like that after I found the adapters didn't fit. Guess I learned my lesson not to trust a man's word completely
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Take a picture of the wheel. Is there room to drill another pattern on the wheel?

Nic
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

No unfortunately theere isn't enough room to redrilled the wheel
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

So, What is the bolt circle on the wheels ? Smaller than 4.5 seems odd.
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

Def smaller. Went to install on adapter and it's about a stud thickness off. When I measure from outside of hole to center of hole it is exactly 4" so not 5x4.5.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I've had axles redrilled a couple times. One time they had to fill the access hole, the other time they didn't. Same shop both times. If possible, always get them done without plugging the hole. Real pain to put them back in without the hole.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

Thanks. I'm going to see if I can get a template of the bolt pattern and see if I might be able to just redrilled this wheel pattern and not need adapters. That would be ideal