air suspension on a 66

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

1fast66ford

air suspension on a 66

Post by 1fast66ford »

does anyone have a clue on bagging a 66?
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

If you did get it to work with the Twin-I's you would have serious camber ishues.

Probly the easiest way would be the MII from Fat Man (stage 4) and the 4-link Air Ride. Not the cheepest though.

Stage 4 - $2195(hub to hub kit)+$250 (12" brakes)+$100(P/S)+$60(motor mounts)

4-Link $800-$1000 depending on the options.

Plus the equipment to get it running??? $1500??

So $5000. May need a new column, and then there is the rusty stuff you will find that needs fixed...$$$

You get the idea.

What ever you do it will take big bucks.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Comet

Post by Comet »

And people wonder why Chevy's get all the press in the custom magazines. :roll:
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
unforgiven66

air bags

Post by unforgiven66 »

Run the mustang II with air tech bags and a 4 link rear.C notch the frame in the rear if you want it right down in the weeds.As stated by another member yes it will be big bucks and the cost is about $5000(I know I just did this conversion) but the end result is sweet.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Dare you to put a ton of weight in the truck and use it as a truck.

GArbz 8)
unforgiven66

air suspension

Post by unforgiven66 »

I will not put any weight in this truck,this truck is being purpose built for the Riddler award in Detroit,but I do have a 2000 Lightning on air bags and I pull my car trailer all the time with it,so depends on your use how you set it up,how it will work in the end.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

OK

Now put your touted MII with bags in your lightning and tow with it.

Garbz
unforgiven66

air suspension

Post by unforgiven66 »

My Lightning has full air suspension front and rear,I have a triangulated 4 link in the rear of it,c-notched frame,and 9 inches of total drop,tows the trailer just fine thank you.Anyways to each their own right,your truck your money built the way you want for the purpose you use it for,my trucks,my money built for the purpose they are built to serve right.Just like you wouldn't call a plumber to do your electrical work,the same applys here,you don't use a show truck or a 1/2ton pick-up to tow a back hoe.Common sense has to take over some time.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

I have plumbers do my sparky work all the time....... :shock: Must be doing something wrong :?

My point is just as you said, don't expect to use a truck equipped with a MII as a truck. It helps newbies asking questions to ascertain just what the intentions for the truck are. A straight answer of "Put a MII in it" just don't cut the baloney.

I also agree that your tow rig is built for a specific use. but it still dont have a MII front End!

All input is helpfull, but you are a keyboard poster new to the board. Get the background as to why one wants bags...Possibly he wants to carry extra weight????

Garbz
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

And if one wanted to go on grammatical terse of the question asked.......

Well the limit in your state is one per person and the licence fee for shooting one is.....

Garbz

Yes I am bored at work today...LOL
Last edited by Garbz on August 29, 2006, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
unforgiven66

air suspension

Post by unforgiven66 »

You are right my tow rig does not have a MII front,but if you look at the suspension in a 2000 F-150 it is a similar set up,both have upper and lower control arms,and similar shock and spring configuration.Also I maybe a so called "newbie" to your club here,but I assure you I am not a "newbie" to the truck building scene.Anyways this is getting out of hand and you know what they say about opionions,they are like A**holes,everybody has one.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Wow

Another person knows my middle name...Thank you!

Not out of hand, just a little freindly banter.....

Banter breeds ideas. And the building of a truck to win the riddler is an ambitious undertaking to say the least. I hope the best in getting it, as it is a coveted award. Is the truck for a customer or yourself?

Design a new and improved front suspension for that bad boy, dont follow the crowd LEAD!.....

Garbz
unforgiven66

air suspension

Post by unforgiven66 »

Well,thank you for the comments on the Riddler award,I am building this truck for myself.I have been involved in 2 previous builds that went to the Riddler,1 made it to the top 8 and 1 did not but did win 2 other awards at the show.I do understand that I jumped the gun in not finding out what the purpose will be for the truck would be,but you also jumped the gun in saying that you can not tow with an air bag set up,cuz you can,just depends on how it is set up and you can only tow or haul as much as your truck is orig rated for anyways....Lets represent the slick's at the Riddler,what do ya say ppl.Lets all get along 8)
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

I get along with everyone! And i can tell you are not a newbie! I meerly stated you are new to the board. The term newbie i tag to a person brand new to the restoration of old iron what ever brand it be.

A riddler winner in a slick catagoty would certianly be the icing on the cake.

We need PICS man PICS.....

Garbz
unforgiven66

air suspension

Post by unforgiven66 »

I will do my best to represent the slicks at the Riddler,I will get some pics up on here,but due to the Riddler award rules,I can not post pics,or have any public representation of the truck until it is shown.The first public appearance for any part of the truck has to be at the show.Plus I do not want to give away certain parts of the truck that are one off custom parts.Sorry fellas but the rules are the rules and I don't want to get disqualified,hope you understand.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

:wink: we will never tell. :roll: ....................................

LOL understand, look forward to the unwrapping.

Garbz
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Re: air suspension

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

unforgiven66 wrote:I will do my best to represent the slicks at the Riddler,I will get some pics up on here,but due to the Riddler award rules,I can not post pics,or have any public representation of the truck until it is shown.The first public appearance for any part of the truck has to be at the show.Plus I do not want to give away certain parts of the truck that are one off custom parts.Sorry fellas but the rules are the rules and I don't want to get disqualified,hope you understand.

THIS HAS BEEN A VERY INTRESTING POST TO SAY THE LEAST. YOU HANDELED YOUR SELF VERY PROFESSIONALLY AND MAINTAINED YOUR COOL. ( ENOUGH CHIT CHAT ON TO BUSINESS )

NOW, HOW ABOUT POSTING SOME OF THE PIC. OF THE OTHER TRUCKS YOU SENT TO THE RIDDLER. EVEN IF THEY ARENT FORDS.

WELCOME TO THE GROUP.

LONNIE
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

It's funny, you keep mentioning you want to participate in the Detroit Autorama's Riddler contest and that you have had two previous entrys. Just for reference here ist the basic paramaters of the competition for those that don't know.

http://www.autorama.com/casi/detroit_entryinfo.htm

More specifically:

On the front wall of Detroit’s Cobo Center hangs a plaque bearing the names of the Ridler winners. The last statement on the plaque’s inscription reads... “presented to the following individuals as owners of the Outstanding Car shown for the first time ever.” In the years since the birth of this award, we have not deviated from the “first time ever” concept for eligibility. Upon registering your vehicle, you will be required to sign a document guaranteeing your vehicle meets our requirements. The rules are simple, but if you have any questions, call MHRA (586) 771-7110.

I have built plenty of street driven vehicles with high degrees of detail, Most of those have had high profile magazine shoots. Even my beater '63 F100 got a multi-page spread before it was even upholstered! Very few of my builds were what I would consider "show worthy" much less a contender for the Autorama Top trophy prize. That withstanding I do know what it takes to compete at that level I do not have the desire to do so. Most of my customers have the patienents to wait that long and fewer still have the pocket book!

Go through the list of winners, http://www.autorama.com/casi/ridler_winners.htm

You should see a pattern forming. Very few of those winners are trucks and fewer still have air ride on them. For the most part all of these vehicles are highly detailed, documented and finished to an extremely high degree and must follow the rules strictly.

The vehicle must make its first public showing at the Detroit Autorama. Showing the vehicle at any indoor or outdoor show or any part of the frame, engine or body will make it ineligible for contention.

Realizing that car owners and builders may need some form of exposure to develop interest or to gain sponsorship and give credit to suppliers and/or sponsors, magazine and video buildup coverage is allowed. No articles, video footage or stories with photos of the vehicle in finished form will be allowed until after the award has been presented, i.e. car cannot be painted or upholstered to be considered as finished.

The vehicle must prove minimal operability. It must start, stop, move forward and reverse, turn left and right before placed on the floor for display. This is a minimum to qualify. Operation and functionability is something the judges will look at.

Because of the number of entries contending for the “Great Eight,” the process of elimination will begin on Thursday evening after move-in has been completed. Entries do not need to be 100% set-up but should be to a state that they can be evaluated fairly. The “Great Eight” Finalist will be announced Friday morning and will be introduced at the Circle of Champions Brunch on Saturday morning.

During the weekend, owners and builders may be asked to close the vehicle to check for fit and finish to assure everything is operational.

There is a “Great Eight” Ridler Contenders meeting Saturday evening at 7:00pm for the builders and owners. At that time, contenders will meet the judging staff and ask questions on how your car will be judged.

As title sponsor of ISCA’s championship, The GM Performance Parts Show Car Series,” GM Performance Parts found it fitting to sponsor the most prestigious award in the indoor custom car show industry. The recipient of the Ridler Award also receives a jacket, name on the plaque in the lobby of Cobo Center, casting of the winning car on the first place awards the following year as well as $10,000 and a GM Crate Motor from GM Performance Parts. The builder receives a 1/3 scale of the Ridler Award.

The last score sheet I read from the "AMBR" America's Most Beautiful Roadster show showed points taken off for buffing swirl marks visible in the underside of the fenders, above the tires.

I'm not saying you aren't capable, for all I know you are well qualified but you have a lofty goal with impossibly high standards to compete with. Just by asking the questions you are asking the veteran show car builder you claim to be, you may already be overwhelmed. Chassis and drive train components should be a no brainer.
unforgiven66

air suspension

Post by unforgiven66 »

I am not sure what Elpolacko is trying to say here, I do realize that suspension and drivetrain are a no brainer for those of us who build this stuff all the time,apparently you need to get some hooked on phonics books and tapes.I was merly trying to help a fellow member with his questions.Obviously this person does not do this all the time and needed help,read the orig post and you will see that.As for the previous entrys yes I was involved with 2 previous builds for the riddler.I did not in any way shape or form say that they were my builds,further more if you do not wish to compete at this level,maybe there is a reason you don't want to.I wish to enter a truck as builder and owner,not just to be involved and get no further recognition.As for my capability's,the end result will show that,anybody can say what they build or what they can do,my truck will speak for me.As for there being no trucks in the competition,you are right.Everybody builds a car,so I build a truck.
If we were all the same in what we build or what we buy it would be a pretty boring time going to a show and looking at 1500 vehicles all the same,this is why everybody does something different,and every builder is different.You build your way,I build mine and everybody else here builds there own way it's that simple.
unforgiven66

Air suspension

Post by unforgiven66 »

I did not ask any questions here about suspension,I was giving advice to someone and havin a little friendly banter with Garbz about weather or not a truck with air suspension can be used for hauling.I do not know why everybody has to be so critical about everything,but hey as I said before"opinions are like a**holes,everybody has one".
I joined this club to possibly help someone when they need it,not to be critisized by someone claiming to be a pro builder that can build at the Riddler award level but chooses not to,yeah right.I know many builders and all of them wish to be at the Riddler level and some are at the Riddler level,but no one gets to that level and walks away,give me a break buddy.If you can build at the Riddler level the money is much better up there than building street drivers.It's not all about the money but if your in business than you should know where I am coming from.