DJM dream beam questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RustNdust65
United States of America

DJM dream beam questions

Post by RustNdust65 »

So I've decided that it's time to take my engine out of my 65 Stepside for a long over due rebuild (pics and write up in future) unfortunately the previous owner performed the swap (351m w/ C6) so I won't be able to answer to many questions about that but that's beside the point. While its out I also want to concentrate on the suspension.

I've been trying to decide if I should do a CV front end swap or stick with the I beams and do a Djm 3/4 drop. I'm really leaning toward the drop beams and shackle flips. I know the Djm is pricey and the CV has rack and pinion and disks up front but I like the ...nostalgia , for lack of a better word I guess, of having the I beams still. That and by the time I upgrade master cylinders, build some kind of steering linkage, fab new motor mounts, rerun new brake lines and then pray that my headers clear everything I feel like I would have spent some serious money and live through unbelievable headaches.

Just wanted to hear both sides of this coin before I make any brash decisions. So if some fantastic fellow Slick owners can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated thank you!
HotRodMatt

Re: DJM dream beam questions

Post by HotRodMatt »

i did beams with 1979 power steering and disc brakes. drives like a nice old truck. smooth, stops well and easy steering. that being said im saving for a dakota swap. the beams just arent low enough for me.

so nothing wrong with beams, just if you want to get low, you might as well step up now or youll be spending money twice (my beams and shackles were like 700 bucks, plus king pins, and the donor i bought for the discs and steering box) but i spent that at two different times.

any questions let me know ill try to help

matt
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Thanks Matt

How low of a drop did the beams get you? I know they say it's supposed to be 3" I think? Correct me if I'm wrong. That is a good point about spending that money and not getting the height you want because like you said it isn't exactly cheap. Sorry for being a noob but Dakota swap? Can you explain that to me? Thank you
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Industrial Chassis in AZ makes crossmembers to use the components from a Dakota, and now, they are (or by now may have) developing tubular control arms to go with them. Do a search on here, a number of members here have used the IC crossmember, very nicely made products.....

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/?cat=142

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/?cat=5

Installation Instructions for 65-66
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pq6 ... ef=2&pli=1

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/ELpola ... t=2&page=1
HotRodMatt

Post by HotRodMatt »

exactly what he said, nice thing about the dakota is that it is at least somewhat supported by the aftermarket. i plan on installing mone with all factory components, (if i find a cheap donor) and then you can buy 2 inch drop springs, 2 inch drop spindles, and guess what after you do all that, YOU CAN ALIGN IT.

so thats my plan, i hope to get around 6 inches more of lowering from where im at now. no bags yet just springs and spindles.

this is a pic of my truck with DJM beams, moved rear spring hangers and drop shackles.

225/75r15 235/75r15

RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Looks pretty good I've never heard of that/them before. If you do decide to go that route please let me know! It looks pretty intense and I'd love to see how it all comes together. I read through the instructions and they seem pretty in depth which is really good just curious as to what kind of silly problems someone would run into.

Love the way the truck looks with the drop beams that's the kind of height I'm looking for. Good looking truck
HotRodMatt

Post by HotRodMatt »

where are you located? the whole shebang coul be for sale soon brakes to steering box.
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

I'm in St. Louis MO
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Does anybody else have the dream beams installed? It's hard to get a feel for it through DJM's pictures and install instructions. Plus would you recommend them?
rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

I have DJM dream beams on my 65 Crew Cab. They are great and allow you to use stock offset wheels, unlike a CV front end. Don't know about the Dakota front end.
I would have no hesitation to use the dropped beams.
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Richard,
You can get the front end parts for the Dakota swap from the full size dodge and keep the same lug pattern
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
MtnBikinPilot

Post by MtnBikinPilot »

unibody madness wrote:Richard,
You can get the front end parts for the Dakota swap from the full size dodge and keep the same lug pattern
I have been planning out a CV swap on my 66 F100. I have seen a couple people mention Dakota swaps...Do you have any info(links) to Dakota swap builds?
~Shu
66 F100 Longbed
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I have them on Lenore and found they improved the ride and handling greatly, I also have 2 coils cut from the springs with no problems, this is her .......

this is where she sits with 17"rims

Sorry their not good pic's I got sick of waiting for photobucket to work ! , look in my album .
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
HotRodMatt

Post by HotRodMatt »

what size front tire is that
SRSControls
United States of America

Post by SRSControls »

What I wouldn't give to get ahold of a Right Hand Drive cab......

th_maniacal.gif

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Scott: RHD in a LHD country seems like a cool idea......until you need to make a left turn @ a busy intersection:):)
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

^^^^^^ or want to drive through a fast food drive through, or overtake! :lol:
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

HotRodMatt wrote:what size front tire is that
if you mean mine, it's a Bridgestone Dueller 255/60R17, probably a bit too wide without power steering :roll:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

SRSControls wrote:What I wouldn't give to get ahold of a Right Hand Drive cab......

th_maniacal.gif
I would like to have that lush backyard with palm trees. :cheers:
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

orangeRcode wrote:
SRSControls wrote:What I wouldn't give to get ahold of a Right Hand Drive cab......

th_maniacal.gif
I would like to have that lush backyard with palm trees. :cheers:
Thanks but that's the front yard and I just had to mow it and the back, too hot I'm done!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS