unibody wood bed floor

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61ford

unibody wood bed floor

Post by 61ford »

has anyone ever seen a unibody with a wood bed floor?my whole floor is gonna have to be completely scrapped and i was pondering put in wood.anyone even know if a kit like this exists?
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Bruce Horkey makes what he calls a "Show Deck". It is a floor cover that has the wood planks and stainless steel strips. It is removable in case you want to use your truck like a truck.
I have a photo of the first one but I am not sure how to post it here. Email me
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
61ford

Post by 61ford »

yea ill email you i wanna see it.only problem with that is im still gonna have to rebuild my floor bc its rusted out in pass side corner its bowed at the end prolly where papaws pig's stood when he hauled them around.my crossmembers are gonna have to be new bc i know atleast one of them is rusted thru.
Ryan

351w/Aod
brettfromokla
United States of America

Post by brettfromokla »

I was considering doing a wood bed floor to mine as my bed is rusted out too. I was going to use the bed strips you have to drill and make my own wood. mar-k in okc makes all of the parts.
Sinc

Post by Sinc »

I met a guy at a cruise night last week who did a show deck in his Slick. It was REALLY sharp! The other nice touch that he added was a sheet of mirror finish stainless at the back of the bed. When you stood at the tailgate and looked into the bed, the stainless reflected the deck and made the bed "look" like it was about 20 feet long. It was a cool effect!
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Only problem is the floor will need to be replaced in steel to maintain the unis rigidity and a show deck installed on top.

Garbz
61ford

Post by 61ford »

yea i got to thinking last nite that ill have to place a metal back in it then put wood over the top bc of panel warpage but i think a wood bedfloor in it would look awesome.If i do that wood floor sounds like that piece of stainless would look really good.Ive thought about putting a piece of stainless across my firewall.i was just asking bout this floor bc ive started cutting out my cab floor and after that next is the bed floor.
Ryan

351w/Aod
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Sounds like a cool idea 61ford.

I imagine you'd have to brace the bed sides (and the cab, for that matter, if you haven't already) before cutting out the entire floor. Not trying to be a know-it-all or anything; I just figured I should point that out just in case. :)
61ford

Post by 61ford »

yea im going to.ive already got my pans,step plates,backing plates, and my lower rocker panels and door pillars should come today.probably will put all those pieces in then take a metal break or a body hammer and form the rest of the floor.if you seen just how bad this floor is youll know why im having to do all this extra work the back of the cab is in really bad shape.guess ill do a brace between the jams and a cross brace.not sure if ill need the cross brace on the cab bc im gonna put the back of the cab in one half at a time.On the bed guess i will need a crossbrace and maybe a brace or two going from bedrail to bedrail bc ive gotta cut the floor and crossmembers out and start from scratch.If anyone has good any ideals or see an errors in my thinking please point it out.Im only 18 and my dad never has done this type of fab so pretty much im goin on what i read on the net and my neighbor has restored alot of cars so i ask him for advice.
Ryan

351w/Aod
a2z64

Post by a2z64 »

If you want to see Bruce Horkeys stuff go to www.horkeyswoodandparts.com

I've had a show deck in my 64 for 6 years and love it. Not sure how to put the picture in here, but there's a pic of it in the album on this site.[/img]
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Cross brace it inside with the doors still installed and latched.

Once you get to removing the floors and sill it is mazing just how much the pieces can move.

Experience talking here. I had a door sill move on me even with bracing and it took a lot of corrective surgery to fix it.I did not have the door on for refrence and braced it. My weight leaning on it to weld displaced it enough that when i went to set the fron sheetmetal my lower mount was a good 1/2" too low. :x

Garbz
61ford

Post by 61ford »

well shoot the doors have been off of it for a while.am i still gonna be alright to brace it before i start cutting all this out?
Ryan

351w/Aod
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

reinstall the doors then brace. IF you do that it is basically guarenteed to be correct.

Garbz
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i decided it was easier to add a whole new front to fix the uni as the bed floor is near perfect.

http://www.fordtruk.com/forums/album_th ... user_id=26
http://www.fordtruk.com/forums/album_th ... user_id=26
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton